Old spyderco police

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EitamSil

Old spyderco police

Post by EitamSil »

Hey guys ,
I found my super old Police last week .
I lost it about five years ago in my yard .
Sadly it is super rusted and its locking is pretty stuck and its spring is probably broken ...
What should I do ? I cant open it since its riveted .
any way to get it to work again ?

Thanks folks ,
Eitam.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

go get some PB Blaster and soak it in it...I freed up a bunch of bolts on my boat engine that were rusted solid with that stuff....
Invective

Post by Invective »

You could always try emailing Spyderco directly and see what they recommend. It also couldn't hurt to send it in to them to see if they can work their magic on it.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

No pics, so only referring to your description...

I'd guess that the knife has probably seen its best days. If the spring is really broken, it would cost more to repair it than to buy a new one. It is not impossible, but I don't think that Spyderco will drill out the rivets and restore that knife basically from scratch for $20, so you would be left with a custom maker buying several hours of his time, which is definitely more expensive than a new Police.

The only thing you can do is to soak it over night(s) in WD40, Ballistol or some other appropriate stuff, to make it movable again, clean off the rust, and hope for the best.

All that said, only you know what that particular knife is worth for YOU to be restored. If it is only a tool for you, it is a pretty safe bet to just retire and replace it.

cheers
Dennis
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would suggest cleaning it up as best you can and placing it in a shadow box in memorial for your trusted friend who was lost but now is found. Perhaps build one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UETLH-Ca4

...see what happens? If the lock spring is broken I would not suggest putting the knife back in service. Perhaps clean it up and put it in a shadow box on your wall or on a desk?

Best wishes,
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

There are guys that fix knives like that for a living. They are often retired and do it as a hobby. Bruce for example hangs out on YT and maybe interested in it (Nebulax).
JD Spydo

Welcome to the Forum: Need some info?

Post by JD Spydo »

EitamSil wrote:Hey guys ,
I found my super old Police last week .
I lost it about five years ago in my yard .
Sadly it is super rusted and its locking is pretty stuck and its spring is probably broken ...
What should I do ? I cant open it since its riveted .
any way to get it to work again ?

Thanks folks ,
Eitam.
First of all WELCOME TO the SPYDERCO Forum Eitam :)

On the heel of the blade there are inscriptions on both sides. One side will likely say SPYDERCO and the city it was made >> then on the flip side it should show you the blade steel it was made with like ATS-55, GIN-1, G-2, VG-10 unless it's a really old unit and it won't have it. But see if you can determine what blade steel it has and that way it will give us something to work with. What handle does it have? It will more than likely be a stainless handle or a black G-10 (polymer) handle.

Any additional information will help us. Also if you have the original factory box and tell us what it looks like and what color it is.

AGain we welcome you to Spyderville :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

welcome to the forums! would love to see before and after pictures once you fix her up :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
EitamSil

Post by EitamSil »

Thanks everybody!
First of all , I am probably not willing to pay to much for fixing it ...
Second , its a stainless handles and ats 55 steel made in Seki City.
I will try soaking it in WD40 .
I will upload pics very soon!

UPDATE!
I think the spring is not broken !
I think its just so rusted that its stuck...