Strong detent on Techno left me in stitches

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
-F1

Strong detent on Techno left me in stitches

Post by -F1 »

I obtained a Techno last week. I was loving the knife until I tried a controlled one-hand opening. The detent is so strong that I ended up cutting my thumb pretty badly.

How it happened: With my thumb in the Spydie hole, I had started applying force to overcome the detent. When it finally gave way, the sudden movement made the blade get away from my thumb. The blade kept swinging open, and my thumb moved right up into it.

I don't remember the last time I had a wound bleed so persistently. I didn't end up getting stitches, but for the first day, I thought I might have to.

Will the detent ease up with use?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Ouch! Make sure you're not applying any pressure to the lockbar when opening. Also, it might help to pinch the hole with your thumb and middle finger until it's past the detent.
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

you may have been pushing the lock bar in while trying to push the blade out. this will push the detent ball into the detent hole with more force
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Clip

Post by Clip »

Either it gets easier or I got used to it because mine is smooth as silk now. Glad to hear it stopped bleeding!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Holland wrote:you may have been pushing the lock bar in while trying to push the blade out. this will push the detent ball into the detent hole with more force
+1

Really easy to do on the Techno.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

My blade swings freely when there's no lockbar tension. In the beginning my middle finger would end up pushing the lockbar/detent into the blade when deploying without knowing it.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -George Washington
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Hah, Random Dan, you sadist! :) It has been 4 days, so it's well into the healing process by now. I changed the bandage earlier, and it looks really boring. No blood, and no sign of infection whatsoever, which is great, but uncommon for me. A pic when it had just happened would have been nothing but a bloody thumb... It would have had to be a video to be of any value. But I was too busy trying to stop the bleeding. :)

I probably was pushing the lock bar in. Even when I'm mindful of that, though, I prefer the smoothness of my Stretches. They have enough closing bias, but there's no sudden release when I open them.

I have three PM2s. Two of them are great, but one has a detent that's almost as strong as the one on my Techno. Maybe I'm just used to my Stretches (and Delicas, Caly3.5...), but these detents make me uneasy.

Maybe I'll just flick them open all the time. I'd rather add a bit more wear on the knives than have to walk around work with my hand elevated, looking like an idiot...
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Glad to hear its healing well, Stiffest detent in order that I have in arms reach Bob t slipit, techno, para2, GB. The detent will be slightly stiff since there's a slab of titanium pushing against the blade. I did cut myself when flicking the Techno once, I was doing it with my left middle finger and slid right into the not fully deployed blade.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Superglue!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Glad to hear you are ok after that :spyder: -bite. I think this is why I really like my lock back's. ;)
-F1

Post by -F1 »

D1omedes wrote:Glad to hear you are ok after that :spyder: -bite. I think this is why I really like my lock back's. ;)
You mean back locks? Yeah, now that I've had a slew of different types of knives, I appreciate my Stretches more than ever. After using other knives for awhile, the Stretch just feels so nice and smooth and reassuring. No 1940s-type light switch snap release; just smoothy goodness.
SolidState wrote:Superglue!
I forgot to use super glue until the second or third day. Then, I bought some new Krazy Glue (it's all the same, right?) just for the purpose, but I doubt it did any good. Whenever I use this stuff, it doesn't adhere to my skin to keep the wound closed, even after I've cleaned it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.

It's been 6.5 days... And I'm really sick of babying my thumb. I know every cut and every person is different, but how long do you guys typically see minorish cuts like this taking to heal?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Two weeks when my freshly sharpened ZT 0301 attacked my thumb. Though that was on the knuckle and resulted in three stitches. Pic below for Dan.

Then when the angle grinder got the better of my index finger at the fingernail, it took about a week and a half til I could stop wearing a bandaid. Stayed tender for about three weeks.

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Sorry to hear about the mishap -F1 and glad that cut is healed. Take care.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.