Rust on Super Blue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

my caly3.5 and caly3 have not developed any rust. and all I do is run it under water then wipe it dry after use. But I also live in calgary and its super dry here.

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SolidState wrote:Hi Ken,

You would have to get a burnishing rod or burnishing tool that's harder than superblue. You can generally even use the rounded-off back end of a boride drill bit to burnish steels. Burnishing is generally how you shine the fullers on japanese styled large blades.
Thank you, Sir. I'll look around and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know.

Ken
玉鋼
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

kbuzbee wrote:Thank you, Sir. I'll look around and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know.

Ken
The Japanese call them migaki-bo. you can find them at high-end japanese polishing suppliers. http://ryujinswords.com/polishingequpt.htm

As I said before, it is easier to use ultrahard drill bits that are well-rounded instead of a 200 dollar needle.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Woodcraft used to (and maybe still does) sell burnishing rods for sharpening blades.