Clay 3.5 super blue RUST

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DiKa

Clay 3.5 super blue RUST

Post by DiKa »

Hi guys. I bought my Caly 3.5 super blue about a year ago. Even though I love the knife, I did not use it much and carried it maybe 10 times. I spend a lot of time at work and a bigger knife is better for my EDC. Anyways, the knife was sitting in my display case along with all the other knives. I have a pretty big collection with all kinds of steel. Today, as I was cleaning my blades, I noticed several rust lines on both sides of the blade on Caly super blue. None of the other knives (vg 10, zdp, m390, s30v, s90v, etc...), had it. I tried to clean it but had no luck. Does anybody know why it could happen? Anybody had this issue? Please share your thoughts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All of the steels you listed are stainless steel except one. Care to guess which one that is? ;)

Super Blue is not a stainless steel, and if left un-oiled or put away wet or stored where moisture can get to it, it will rust.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Evil D wrote:All of the steels you listed are stainless steel except one. Care to guess which one that is? ;)

Super Blue is not a stainless steel, and if left un-oiled or put away wet or stored where moisture can get to it, it will rust.
:) . I forgot to mention that I treat all my blades (except H1), with tuf-cloth every few months or after cleaning them.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I had some blades in a bag that are not users it has been -2 here for about three weeks with no heating because it broke I checked my knives and had rust spots.
The interesting thing for me is two were 8crmov but not spyderco yet my spyderco 8crmov were fine no problem it can be fluctuations in temperature , Warm in the day cold at night especially if its a glass cabinet although mine were in a codura padded bag.
A coating of oil and a silica gel tin should help .

Edit: very fine micro mesh may remove it after warm soapy water if its fine enough it shouldn't scratch .
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Super Blue is pretty prone to rust. That's one reason I got rid of mine. It stinks because sharpening Super Blue is so easy and it produces a VERY sharp edge. But nothing in life is perfect. If you work in a humid environment, the Caly 3.5 in Super Blue may not be the best work knife. I'd stick with more corrosion-resistant steels (ie. VG10, S30V, S90V, M390, etc).
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I had a VG-10 blade that rusted despite Tuf-Cloth and Tuf-Glide treatment regularly, but this was after daily exposure to sweat. The rust was minor though.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I don't have a knife with SB but aren't people forcing a patina on their SB knives so they don't rust?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Have you tried Rust Free from A. G. Russell? It works here in Florida on 01 and 1095. I don't know how it would work on Super Blue but at one time, I believe, Russell included a free bottle with his Super Blue knives.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have a 1095 Mora that rusts if look at it teary eyed. I keep vegetable oil on it to keep it from rusting.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

mine developed rust spots within a week or so, left alone in my safe.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

angusW wrote:I don't have a knife with SB but aren't people forcing a patina on their SB knives so they don't rust?
Yea it's a common approach as a natural corrosion preventative. It's very similar to a natural DLC (in function).
Donut

Post by Donut »

Super Blue is the most rust/stain prone steel I've ever seen.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Super Blue is the most rust/stain prone steel I've ever seen.
It's not quite there for me but it is pretty darn rusty if not cared for. I don't mind caring for it as the upside to this steel makes it worth my time. For me to sit here and deny it rusts would be pretty silly though. :)
Have you tried Rust Free from A. G. Russell? It works here in Florida on 01 and 1095. I don't know how it would work on Super Blue but at one time, I believe, Russell included a free bottle with his Super Blue knives.
Yes! My choice as well. It dries leaving no visible trace yet it works. The pure silicone is so clear it looks like water. Naturally it needs retreating after certain uses. With this steels even if you have magic angel tears you still need to wash the corrosive/acidic stuff off and dry it before treating. I was even able to stop, and keep from rusting a super alloy custom that came to me with pitting developing from one fingerprint. It was at least twice as rusty as any of the blue steels, which aren't even as bad as Hitachi's White steels. That custom was in Rex 20 /M62/Vimcru20 http://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodb ... cpm20.html As you can see by the numbers it's a super high speed steel but is designed for applications where cobalt isn't allowed.

I've found most of these super extra mega steels aren't really great in the edge stability area despite their high wear resistance. If the others rust and pit like this did they are more work than I like, and remember I'm the guy that prefers non stainless steels and mastiffwear...er, Cruwear is my kind of steel, along with O-1, 52100, W2, M2, M4, etc. These are like stainless steels compared to that rex 20/Vimcru20.

I always use a paste wax on my blades when storing them always out of the sheath.

I don't patina and keep mine looking newish, except for the scratches, and sand those to satin eventually when they get bad.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Show us the rust!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

gull wing wrote:Show us the rust!
[ATTACH]21433[/ATTACH]
Attachments
photo.JPG