Age of Keychain Spyderco users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How old were you when you got your keychain Spyderco?

Younger than 25
26%
25 and older
74%

Total votes: 66

Scorpion

Age of Keychain Spyderco users

Post by Scorpion »

In an effort to determine if their is a correlation between age and knife size, I would like to know at what age (if applicable) you got your:

-Ladybug, any variation
-Manbug, any variation
-Jester, any variation

If you have multiple ones, which side of 25 were you when you got the majority of them?

Thank you for participating. You guys are Legen-wait for it...
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

All on downhill side of 25, in the past two years in fact.

I bought my first ladybug a ZDP version in 2011.
I bought a Manbug in 2012 soon after the FRN version was introduced.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Interesting first post, but I'll play along. I'm 33 so my first Ladybug came after 25. However, that really doesn't tell you anything because I've had Victorinox Classic's ever since I was a kid, which are arguably smaller than a Ladybug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Wdr65, compared to the Ladybug's tip, did you like the Manbug's up swept tip more, less, or it didn't really matter? I am seriously thinking of getting an FRN Manbug (VG-10) but the tip shape has been rumored to be less than satisfactory.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Evil D, I think you forgot to vote. If that is because of the SAK, don't worry, I specified three specific knives and that is the entire scope of my poll, no more, no less. The smaller SAKs are not the same as a locking, single purpose, properly shaped blade to many people, even if the lengths are comparable.

Btw, I am registered on other knife/tool forums but I thought I would get the best results here.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

dary!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope, I voted for 25+.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

But as I get older the more I carry smaller knives.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Evil D wrote:Nope, I voted for 25+.
Sorry, I guess it was the first commentator that forgot to vote. At the time of both your comments there was only one vote.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, at 57 I was over twice that when I got my Jester but I've had some kind of a small knife with my keys since I was old enough to drive. First couple were the low quality Japanese slipjoints you'd find in candy stores back then. Neither lasted more than a year or two. The next, also a slipjoint, was one of the US made brands every hardware store sold. Think it waa a Case, but it may have been a Camillus. Gifted that one to a friend shortly after getting the last keychain knife I carried before the Jester. That one was the smallest version of the Schrade LB series, an LB1, which I still have.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I voted over 25 because when I was 25 they still made knives out of rocks. :( Seriously I was 25 more than 25 years ago. :( I know it's not THAT old, just feels like it some days. :) Are you pre-25ers out there still wearing diapers? If not, congratulations. Be aware however, there will come a day when you need them again. :( :( You get shorter again too. :( Now that I am thoroughly depressed I'd say the younger you are the more you may be attracted to larger knives. That's just a guess though. And as far as self defense goes once you are over 25 you either have lived needing self defense or you stop thinking about it too much.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

If Spyderco had been around when I was under 25, I sure would have had one.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

RJNC wrote:But as I get older the more I carry smaller knives.
Same here, I went from 'big tacticals' to 'smaller refined' knives. But I have always added a Ladybug/Jester etc.. to my EDC.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I was way passed 25, when I got my first spydie. I got Orange Ladybug few years later. If it wasn't orange, I wouldn't buy even than. The knife was stolen about a year ago. Carrying gray Jester now. Using may be one a month.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

As with many others, I was over 25 when Spyderco started making knives (or anything else) so I'm not sure that your poll results will mean anything.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

16. I guess I'm the young one here.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The older I get the larger the blade I carry.

With a touch of arthritis in both my hands, I find it very difficult to manipulate the small key chain sized knives.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Way past 25 too although personally for the jobs I edc for I prefer the profile of the grasshopper than the bigger keychain knives .
The wife has a bug and I gave her a grasshopper today to cut some leather "no it won't be sharp enough " ......
"Oh that's stupidly sharp.....ouch" Lol not worthy of a photo although it was quite deep the entry wound was tip in so it was tiny .
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Scorpion wrote:Wdr65, compared to the Ladybug's tip, did you like the Manbug's up swept tip more, less, or it didn't really matter? I am seriously thinking of getting an FRN Manbug (VG-10) but the tip shape has been rumored to be less than satisfactory.
I was disappointed in the tip shape of the Manbug. I found it difficult to sharpen well and ended up trading it off after a few months. I would prefer a slightly larger ladybug blade or a jester style blade. One of the few Spyderco's that I've been disappointed in performance wise. On a postive note I loved the size and ergonomics of the scales.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
As many others, I was older when I got my first Ladybug, 35 or 36, and that's been over ten years ago.
I wanted the Baby Goddard way back when, but kept passing on it because of finances, then when I decided to purchase the one I had been eyeballing at a flea market knife dealer, it was too late, and had been sold.
I ended up getting one of the re-release just a few years ago.

I thought this thread needed a pic.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes: