Age of Keychain Spyderco users

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How old were you when you got your keychain Spyderco?

Younger than 25
26%
25 and older
74%

Total votes: 66

Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Wdr65 wrote:I was disappointed in the tip shape of the Manbug. I found it difficult to sharpen well and ended up trading it off after a few months. I would prefer a slightly larger ladybug blade or a jester style blade. One of the few Spyderco's that I've been disappointed in performance wise. On a postive note I loved the size and ergonomics of the scales.
Anyone else feel this strongly about the swept-up tip on the Manbug?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ive had a bug on my key chain for a while, but got my first bug thrown in the garbage when a bouncer checked my key chain at a club... thought nothing of it, and i had taken it into many clubs and pubs before that without a second thought.

oh and im only 20 :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
cckw

Post by cckw »

40's, I'm not a very big guy but I hate tiny (bug) knives. I put a Chaparell CF on my keychain and love it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey guys,
As many others, I was older when I got my first Ladybug, 35 or 36, and that's been over ten years ago.
I wanted the Baby Goddard way back when, but kept passing on it because of finances, then when I decided to purchase the one I had been eyeballing at a flea market knife dealer, it was too late, and had been sold.
I ended up getting one of the re-release just a few years ago.

I thought this thread needed a pic.
Later,
Don
That pic reminded me I need more Ultex Jazz III's

I have amassed my spydercos at the age of 16 and 17 and will pick up my first spydie at 18 (since yesterday) on payday next week . Got my first keychain knife early 17
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I must be the youngest in this category. Got mine last week.

:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Do the benefits of a full flat grind [manbug] vs a saber(hollow?) grind [ladybug] get outweighed by the worse tip geometry? The ffg is the main reason I like the manbug better.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Scorpion wrote:Do the benefits of a full flat grind [manbug] vs a saber(hollow?) grind [ladybug] get outweighed by the worse tip geometry? The ffg is the main reason I like the manbug better.
A hollow and saber grind are different. If the blade is flat from the edge to where it becomes parallel on opposite sides it is a saber grind. If there is a concave curvature from the edge to where the blade gets thickest it is called a hollow grind. Ladybugs have a hollow grind. I like FFG better myself. The benefit is as you cut anything thicker than the blade is wide (edge to spine) it spreads the material consistantly. A hollow grind cuts REAL good at first then as the blade gets thick more suddenly the material may not spread as easily and get hard to cut. This will be determined by what material you are cutting. A hollow grind will go through a tomato ok because the slice will bend with the curvature of the blade. An apple may break as the blade gets thicker with a HG but NOT break if you use a FFG blade. With knives as small as the Lady and Manbugs I doubt if this makes a whole lot of difference. Again, it depends on what you are cutting. For what I use mine for the grind doesn't matter. I love the hollow grind on my BF. I am not a fan of saber grind blades. They just get thick too fast. Personal preferance I suppose.

Jack
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

jackknifeh wrote:A hollow and saber grind are different. If the blade is flat from the edge to where it becomes parallel on opposite sides it is a saber grind. If there is a concave curvature from the edge to where the blade gets thickest it is called a hollow grind. Ladybugs have a hollow grind. I like FFG better myself. The benefit is as you cut anything thicker than the blade is wide (edge to spine) it spreads the material consistantly. A hollow grind cuts REAL good at first then as the blade gets thick more suddenly the material may not spread as easily and get hard to cut. This will be determined by what material you are cutting. A hollow grind will go through a tomato ok because the slice will bend with the curvature of the blade. An apple may break as the blade gets thicker with a HG but NOT break if you use a FFG blade. With knives as small as the Lady and Manbugs I doubt if this makes a whole lot of difference. Again, it depends on what you are cutting. For what I use mine for the grind doesn't matter. I love the hollow grind on my BF. I am not a fan of saber grind blades. They just get thick too fast. Personal preferance I suppose.

Jack
Thank you for that insight into the grinds. Please tell me what you think of the difference in geometry/tip shape (manbug vs. ladybug). Do you dislike the manbug's tip shape?
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Scorpion wrote:Thank you for that insight into the grinds. Please tell me what you think of the difference in geometry/tip shape (manbug vs. ladybug). Do you dislike the manbug's tip shape?
I should have added that my ZDP Ladybug is flat ground so I was comparing performance of both the Manbug and the Ladybug with flat grinds.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Scorpion wrote:Thank you for that insight into the grinds. Please tell me what you think of the difference in geometry/tip shape (manbug vs. ladybug). Do you dislike the manbug's tip shape?
There isn't anything wrong with the Manbug tip for me. The knife has a more prominant belly than the other little knives but that's fine also. I don't remember much difference in the tip. I did grind two of my Manbugs into the blade shape close to the Jester knife. I really like the way the index finger lays on the spine for close detailed cuts. The Jester is in the middle. Sorry for the blurry picture.
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

I think a lot has to do with disposable income and age. I know when I was 25 and younger I wasn't going to spend 30 bucks for a key chain knife (beer). But I grew up and now spend way to much on knives in general.
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

SCARLETT wrote:I think a lot has to do with disposable income and age. I know when I was 25 and younger I wasn't going to spend 30 bucks for a key chain knife (beer). But I grew up and now spend way to much on knives in general.
I used to reject smaller knives when I was younger, around 16-20 years ago. My mentality was that if its smaller, it was useless. Thinking back, the first wooden replica I made was of a sword. Nothing fancy, used a saw to cut up a wooden plank in the shape of the sword of omens.

After that and for a long time, I was always with a SAK. The normal sized ones but could never attach that to a keychain.

It took a lot of convincing for me to by the Grass Hopper and that helped me decide on the Dragonfly. Then I got a Ladybug which I do carry on a keychain. It was a strange and enjoyable journey and I have a long way to go yet.

Nice thread.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
lambertiana

Post by lambertiana »

I was past 25 when I saw the first Spyderco knives for sale, so the age thing doesn't mean much for me.

I got my first Spyderco keychain knife (ZDP-189 Ladybug) a little over a year ago.