help me decide H1 spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
filardhimuhyi

help me decide H1 spydie

Post by filardhimuhyi »

dear my friends

im going to do beach camping ground very soon. I am thinking to get H1 spydie to be used on camping. 2 types that caught my attention are pacific one and spydiehawk salt PE. im kinda more into spydiehawk because the blade curves inward. my concern is, im new about knives, n i want ur opinion about the blade that curves inward. Are there anythings u guys like or dislike about inward curved blade? what r advantages n disadvantages?? is it comfortable to use? does spydiehawk deploy as smooth as paramilitary 2??

thanks so much guys!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Spyderhawk is discontinued, though you may still be able to find one. The Pacific is Endura sized and real nice.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally I wouldn't opt for a hawkbill blade for camping...the shape might look cool but will limit what you can do with it. I would also stick with plain edge for camping, which pretty much narrows your choices down to two knives, the Pacific and the Salt 1. The Salt is Delica sized and the Pacific is Endura sized. For camping I would probably opt for the bigger of the two, that being the Pacific.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
filardhimuhyi

Post by filardhimuhyi »

Evil D wrote:Personally I wouldn't opt for a hawkbill blade for camping...the shape might look cool but will limit what you can do with it. I would also stick with plain edge for camping, which pretty much narrows your choices down to two knives, the Pacific and the Salt 1. The Salt is Delica sized and the Pacific is Endura sized. For camping I would probably opt for the bigger of the two, that being the Pacific.
thanks david, i think i agree with u...for me inward curved blade looks so cool that's why i wanna buy it but i really concern about the functionality of hawkbill blade....
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I use and abuse my PE Salt I. If I sharpen often I have no issues keeping it shaving sharp, but I find a week of use leaves a good working blade, but not a shaving edge. I too echo the functionality of the Pacific or Salt over a inward-curved, hawkbill blade. Hawkbills make excellent tools for cutting twine, rope and line. They are horrible for spreading peanut butter, filleting fish, slicing tomatoes, sharpening a stick for s'mores etc. The Salt and Pacific SE and PE can do all, with the PE being good all-round tool. The SE is a little better slicing tomatoes. The PE is better for push cuts. Good luck with your purchase and have fun camping!

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

filardhimuhyi wrote:thanks david, i think i agree with u...for me inward curved blade looks so cool that's why i wanna buy it but i really concern about the functionality of hawkbill blade....
Well that's why you get both :)

Perhaps a Pacific Salt and a H1 Hawkbill Ladybug?
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would also go with the Pacific Salt for camping.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Plus one for the Pacific salt
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would suggest the Pacific based on your choices, but a little hunting for a Rock Salt would yield a curve and a belly and H1.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Pacific all the way. Great knife, especially after you use and sharpen it. I notice the edge holding increase. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
filardhimuhyi

Post by filardhimuhyi »

vaisforlovers wrote:I use and abuse my PE Salt I. If I sharpen often I have no issues keeping it shaving sharp, but I find a week of use leaves a good working blade, but not a shaving edge. I too echo the functionality of the Pacific or Salt over a inward-curved, hawkbill blade. Hawkbills make excellent tools for cutting twine, rope and line. They are horrible for spreading peanut butter, filleting fish, slicing tomatoes, sharpening a stick for s'mores etc. The Salt and Pacific SE and PE can do all, with the PE being good all-round tool. The SE is a little better slicing tomatoes. The PE is better for push cuts. Good luck with your purchase and have fun camping!

James
thanks so much james for the insight...i think i would opt to The Salt or Pacific PE...not a fan of serrated blade.... :D
filardhimuhyi

Post by filardhimuhyi »

donutsrule wrote:Well that's why you get both :)

Perhaps a Pacific Salt and a H1 Hawkbill Ladybug?
that would be nice for getting both of them but i live in europe where the price are so expensive for knifes.....just need to get one of them for beach camping :D
filardhimuhyi

Post by filardhimuhyi »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:I would also go with the Pacific Salt for camping.
filardhimuhyi

Post by filardhimuhyi »

Jazz wrote:Pacific all the way. Great knife, especially after you use and sharpen it. I notice the edge holding increase. :cool:
thanks jazz :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Pacific salt SE
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!