car knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

car knife

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I'm a believer in keeping my car well stocked with what I call "****-hits-the-fan" equipment. I have trouble deciding on what knife to leave in the car though. On one hand, I don't want to buy a knife I love and let it sit in the car, but on the other, if and when I do need it, I want to be able to trust it.

Do any of you keep knives in the car? which model? Any suggestions?

My thoughts so far are combo edge endura 4, one of the rescues with the retractable glass breaker, or a hawksbill salt....
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

All of your thoughts seem correct. I like to have a SE Rescue in my car and I am planning to add a glass breaker mod. Any of the Salts should serve you well though I am sure you don't have lots of moisture in Houston.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have an Assist in both vehicles.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I also carry an orange assist in the console of all my cars.

TedP
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

While I don't keep a knife in my vehicle (except for a window/glass scraper), I do EDC a Spyderco Assist I in orange FRN when I drive.

My Assist I is right next to my four-D cell MagLite on the kitchen counter. I always carry my MagLite with me when I'm driving somewhere, although the Assist I is the first to be grabbed and clipped to my LFP. Then I grab my MagLite and head out.

The Assist I is my EDVC (Everyday Vehicle Carry). It has everything you need in a rescue knife!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
alerin

Post by alerin »

Orange Assist in both cars.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The mentioning of condensation is a really good point , I recently went to a locked bag of blades non have been used or exposed to moisture "so I thought".
The recent very cold weather here has caused I presume through vast temp change rust spots on some ss and carbon steel knives.
The knives were oiled before they were stored I can understand the carbon ones but the ss took me by suprise I've since learnt that bead blasted as they were are more prone to this.
I also believe in dessert condition the temp difference between day and night in a car can cause this especially a air con equipped vehicle as most are.
I would go for something resistant for sure , although in the uk having a car knife isn't really possible unless non folding sub 3 inch.
If I were loaded with camping fear or on the way to work it'd be fine but our laws are all wrong.

Edit: non of the knives were spyderco I had two sprint tenacious in the same bag and they were fine.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I would take a look at the byrd rescue. It costs half of a salt saver or an assist.

If your looing for a SHTF fixed blade, look at Becker Knife and Tool
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I keep a Delica combo-edge and a Rescue Jr. Along with a first aid kit etc.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

I have a Byrd Rescue coupled with a ResQMe for its glassbreaker.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I keep an orange assist in one car and an orange rescue in the other.
-John
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

cricket in my bob.
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have my Superleaf on me. A Mora Robust on my maxpedition falcon 2 and a Estwing 26 inch camp axe in the truck between the passenger seat the the console. Also have a 18" trailblazer sawvivor in the truck. I think I'm covered.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

:o Shrade blue avatar CE. :o
O.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have an Assist and an ESEE-5 in the door pocket of my car. I think I have the stranded, shtf, and emergency angles covered with those two.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would probably opt for one of the Rescue/Assist type knives too, something that can destroy a seat belt quickly without risking stabbing yourself or someone else. I would also opt for something in H1...you may not think your interior gets moisture in it, but it does. Think about how many times you've needed to use defrost to clear up a foggy windshield..that's moisture. I would prefer to not have to worry about rust on a knife that I likely won't ever use unless it's an emergency.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Thanks all. That really narrows it down to.... well, it didn't really narrow it down. I'm looking at the Atlantic Salt now, though.
linos

Post by linos »

.....ahmmm....you guys have only one knife in your car?..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

God'sMyJudge wrote:Thanks all. That really narrows it down to.... well, it didn't really narrow it down. I'm looking at the Atlantic Salt now, though.
That's a really good knife. I wish they still made a plain edge version of it.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

linos wrote:.....ahmmm....you guys have only one knife in your car?..
I actually don't have any in my car. I had my car broken into once and got cleaned out...so I don't like to leave valuables in my car unless I have to. I rely on whatever I'm carrying and hope for the best.
~David