car knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

SpyderNut wrote:Um, let's see. My truck currently carries the Breeden Rescue, Techno, Endura Bayou Shooter, Manix (Lightweight), Dyad Jr., Yojimbo II, Centofante Memory, Phoenix, Dodo, Tenacious, Squeak, Balance, Khukuri, Persian, Nilakka, Salt I, two Ladybug Salts (one PE and one SE), Centofante II, and an Emerson CQC-7. Also stow one smallish black thing that goes "bang" when/if I need it. :cool:
And what's your address and where do you park your truck? ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

.357 mag wrote:And what's your address and where do you park your truck? ;)
Heh heh! I guess it's about time to thin down the herd in the truck. :o :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
thurin

Post by thurin »

I'm glad this thread came up. I'm been looking for a rescue type knife to put in the cars. Would like to keep it cheap, as things disappear from the cars pretty easy. Wishing the Byrd Rescues had a glass-breaker.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Well, I know you were all on pins and needles pending the resolution of this thread, so I present my decision on the car knife issue:

ImageImage

Here's hoping I never need it. Thanks for all the advice.
45noalive

Post by 45noalive »

This knife is great to have just in case. You never know when you might need it. I've had one kept in my center console, although I've been thinking about velcro-ing it under the steering wheel for quicker/easier access...
[ATTACH]21448[/ATTACH]
Attachments
M1020003.JPG
jordan
Life's too short to carry crappy knives.

C54 Calypso Brown G-10| SuperLeaf G-10| Stretch & Dragonfly ZDP-189| Delica 4 Brown FRN | Assist Orange FRN | Manix2 Blue FRCP | Caly 3 SuperBlue
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

For me it's the Pacific Salt with a leatherman super tool 300. It's the perfect go to knife for the rainy day that I may just leave my EDC at home.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

After I bought my first Spyderco I stopped purchasing other manufacturer's knives. Nothing compares to them in my mind. I already had a few SOG's and other brands but they all just sit in my drawer now. I figured I needed a knife for the car in case of an accident but I wanted something I wouldn't be too upset about losing if/when my car gets broken into. So I decided on my Kershaw Blur. I love that knife, but it has no chance at pocket time against any of my Spyderco's. So in the Jeep it goes. I figure the serrations make it good against seat belts but it also is a really quick spring assisted opener which I think is important for a vehicle knife. If I'm in a crash or something I might have difficulty opening my knife. The Blur pops open with the slightest touch. Of course, if for some reason I can't get to the Blur, I still have my EDC blades in my pockets.

All that said, if I was to buy a Spyderco for the Jeep it would be the assist above. Hands down.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

I got a CE Stretch and a SwissTool in the console. Etched Spin is hanging on the mirror. Plus, I also have at least a couple knives on me any given day. :)
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I have a older blue Japanese 93 mm Rescue in my truck and an orange smaller Rescue in my wife's car. But after reading this thread I'm thinking about swapping them for Assists. I also keep a PE Esee 3, a Leatherman, and a SAK Explorer in each vehicle.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I posted this YouTube video before on the use of the Spyderco Assist I. A rather good view of the tool in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPsp3LBvAQ
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Although I appreciate the video, the time and the effort I have to say that wasn't very smart. No protective clothing, not even pants or long sleeves.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Although I appreciate the video, the time and the effort I have to say that wasn't very smart. No protective clothing, not even pants or long sleeves.
and i like the top comment, now there's gonna be broken glass in the park for all the kids and animals to play with
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
arty

Post by arty »

I keep a Rescue in the car and a Lifehammer. I just ordered a second set for my wife's car.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Holland wrote:and i like the top comment, now there's gonna be broken glass in the park for all the kids and animals to play with
Yup!

@liquid_cobra
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Although I appreciate the video, the time and the effort I have to say that wasn't very smart. No protective clothing, not even pants or long sleeves.
Although I understand what you are saying... in the real world in a car that was in a serious accident... isn't it possible that the attire they wore in the video would be the very same as what they might potentially be wearing in a car at the time of an accident?

Bottom line... the Spyderco Assist I performs and is a key life-saving tool... and the fact these individuals understand that may very well save their lives one day. That's the lesson learned here.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Holland wrote:and i like the top comment, now there's gonna be broken glass in the park for all the kids and animals to play with
And... they were responsible enough to clean up after themselves to ensure no broken glass was left to hurt anyone or anything.
Spyderco WTC #1044

NEVER FORGET!!!
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Orange Assist in the car (visor) and a Cold steel spetnaz shovel ;)
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Orange assist here

- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

In the center console I usually cycle in one I'm unlikely to carry, but "like" Currently that's a Caly 3 G10. Also a Swisstool and a SYK fixed blade in the trunk.

Ken
玉鋼
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

When folks talk of carrying a car knife for emergencies, are you talking about helping others out (you come across a wreck and need to help extract an occupant) or your own? If for your own emergency, where do you keep the knife that you could still get access to it in event of a bad wreck, car upside down etc?

I've thought about clipping to the visor, but odds are that would go flying in a wreck wouldn't it? If just setting in my center console, same thing. I may be more likely to be able to access the knife in my waistband than find one from the car, unless it's velcroed to the steering wheel or something.

Just wondering. I haven't had a lot of experience with wrecks (other than minor fender-benders), fortunately :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)