Blue G10 Lava

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I thought for sure people would be posting pics like crazy. Not so much.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I thought for sure people would be posting pics like crazy. Not so much.
^ this seriously :P
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations Chad. I have the Forum SS Lava (and I absolutely love it) but I was drooling for a G-10 version from the very beginning. I would still go linerless (and wireclip) for a knife this size, but linerless it's my middle name, so please bear with me ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jazz wrote:I drew a life size cutout on cardboard of this knife to make sure I wanted it and wow, did it ever not feel good. The second choil is way too deep to be of any use. Didn't feel good at all. That and the price made me change my mind. I was quite looking forward to it. Oh well.
I never heard complains about ergos of Lava. The knife fits into my hand like a glove. Price wise, considering that original SS Lava had a street price around $90 in 2006, now after seven years of inflation price for sprint is within expectations.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I thought for sure people would be posting pics like crazy. Not so much.
Might just be that not everyone who ordered one has received it yet. Know that's the case here. Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
bh49 wrote:I never heard complains about ergos of Lava. The knife fits into my hand like a glove. Price wise, considering that original SS Lava had a street price around $90 in 2006, now after seven years of inflation price for sprint is within expectations.
It fits my hand well too, Roman, but nothing works for everyone. As for the price, I'd agree that it's reasonable, especially considering that it wasn't just a re-make that could use all the existing tooling. There had to be some new tooling needed due to the change from all stainless handles to liners and scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

handled it at my local shop and it is small. For less money the G10 Dragonfly is a better knife. The ergos are really good and it is cool/quirky but if the blade were longer and pointier it would support the price point. I don't see this one flying off shelves and if I can get one at a deal down the road I will. Wire clip would have been a game changer on this one...
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

twinboysdad wrote:handled it at my local shop and it is small. For less money the G10 Dragonfly is a better knife. The ergos are really good and it is cool/quirky but if the blade were longer and pointier it would support the price point. I don't see this one flying off shelves and if I can get one at a deal down the road I will. Wire clip would have been a game changer on this one...
X1,000,000 on the wire clip. I just broke my Lava clip trying to bend it so it wasn't as tight. I think Spyderco should have two constants. Hole and wire clip.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

willydigger wrote:X1,000,000 on the wire clip. I just broke my Lava clip trying to bend it so it wasn't as tight. I think Spyderco should have two constants. Hole and wire clip.
nothing says "KNIFE!" :eek: like a shiny clip...and "stealth" like a wire clip :cool:
Paul10

Post by Paul10 »

willydigger wrote: The Spyderco VG-10 stamp is kind of funny. Imagine the steel in that spot has a dent and then they stamped over it.
I just got one in the mail today and you know what? Mine has the same stamp dent as yours. I wonder if this is a defect or are they all like this? I'll try to take a pic of mine but it looks exactly like yours. Mine is also super stiff..almost too much.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Paul10 wrote:I just got one in the mail today and you know what? Mine has the same stamp dent as yours. I wonder if this is a defect or are they all like this? I'll try to take a pic of mine but it looks exactly like yours. Mine is also super stiff..almost too much.
Blade blanks are cut out of a sheet of steel and, given the size of the Lava blade, a sheet would make at least a couple dozen. So "dimples" in the sheet that wind up falling in the exact same spot on more than one blade blank would be unlikely, at best. Most logical explanation would be that a minor an imperfection in the die used to stamp the lettering is being transferred to the blades. Makes me wonder if anyone has noticed it on any other small VG-10 models from the same maker, since I'd imagine the die would be used by them to stamp other VG-10 blades of similar size they're making for Spyderco.
Paul
Paul10

Post by Paul10 »

The Deacon wrote:minor an imperfection in the die used to stamp the lettering is being transferred to the blades. Makes me wonder if anyone has noticed it on any other small VG-10 models from the same maker, since I'd imagine the die would be used by them to stamp other VG-10 blades of similar size they're making for Spyderco.
Seems like a quality issue :( . I like the style of the knife but a little disappointed in the mark and how darn tight it is. Even adjusting the pivot screws doesn't seem to help. My G10 dragonfly is so smooth compared to this. I know I sound a little picky but it was an expensive knife :) . I figure it will loosen up in time but the stamp mark will never go away.

Interesting. My dragonfly 2 FRN also has the stamp issue.
[ATTACH]22764[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22764[/ATTACH]
Attachments
photo.JPG
photodf.JPG
endgame

Post by endgame »

i just got mine and i love it
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

The Deacon wrote:Blade blanks are cut out of a sheet of steel and, given the size of the Lava blade, a sheet would make at least a couple dozen. So "dimples" in the sheet that wind up falling in the exact same spot on more than one blade blank would be unlikely, at best. Most logical explanation would be that a minor an imperfection in the die used to stamp the lettering is being transferred to the blades. Makes me wonder if anyone has noticed it on any other small VG-10 models from the same maker, since I'd imagine the die would be used by them to stamp other VG-10 blades of similar size they're making for Spyderco.
I agree. Seeing Paul's pics confirms it. Maybe this thread will get them to fix it.
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Mine has the same mark. This is strictly an observation, not a complaint.

I posted these remaining pics on the "Show off your latest purchase" thread on the Picture Gallery. Forgive me for posting twice. I liked them and wanted to share.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great photos! Nice to see the old vs new. Thanks for posting!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

Nice pics! If possible, could we get a thickness comparison of old vs new?
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

You know seeing the SS version without the dent, irks me a little. It's a flaw. QC should have caught it. For a $50 knife, not really a big deal. For a $130 knife, it's pretty ****ty.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dres_x wrote:Nice pics! If possible, could we get a thickness comparison of old vs new?
Original SS Lava is .282" and blue Sprint is .328", so a little thicker but still among the 20 thinnest Spydercos and a hair thinner than the G-10 Dragonfly and Manbug.
willydigger wrote:You know seeing the SS version without the dent, irks me a little. It's a flaw. QC should have caught it. For a $50 knife, not really a big deal. For a $130 knife, it's pretty ****ty.
As with most things in life, opinions are going to differ, but I my Sprint Lava is a representative specimen, then I don't see the tang stamp as a flaw, simply as a die that stamps a very neat, slightly dished, impression.
Paul
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

dres_x wrote:Nice pics! If possible, could we get a thickness comparison of old vs new?
Here are some crummy cel phone pics. I was on the way out the door for Saturday's kids sports.

"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Mine also has the slight impression under the stamp. No big deal if they all have them I guess. Funky knife nonetheless. I love it. :D

Bonus in hand pic.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]