SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am much more interested in any news on the non-folding Spydie kitchen sharps. Seems like they are over due and I can't wait to pick some up.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jldc wrote:I just don't get a folding kitchen knife. A folding knife that you can use for kitchen prep in a pinch, sure. But why would you make a kitchen knife harder to clean? Ane why would you want to carry one around with you?

Oh, well - my mother used to say "to each his own, as Sally kissed the cow."
I can see the logic in wanting an EDC folder that has decent ergos for use in the kitchen but don't detract from its ability to perform normal pocket knife duties. That said, the SpydeChef is wrong handed for me as an EDC folder and looks way to thick for serious consideration as a kitchen knife so, like araneae, I'd be far more interested in news about the new Kitchen Sharps.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I don't understand why this would be any more useful in the kitchen than a Military. I also agree with those who say they prefer a purpose made kitchen knife, fixed blade, for food prep. The ideal all around blade length for a kitchen knife that "does it all" is around 5" to 7". That is considered huge for a folder, but modest in a kitchen.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bill1170 wrote:I don't understand why this would be any more useful in the kitchen than a Military. I also agree with those who say they prefer a purpose made kitchen knife, fixed blade, for food prep. The ideal all around blade length for a kitchen knife that "does it all" is around 5" to 7". That is considered huge for a folder, but modest in a kitchen.
Mostly because of the way the handle allows space for your fingers when using it to chop or slice on a cutting board. Granted, most folders will work reasonably well, as long as you position the cutting board on the edge of your work surface, or use a really thick cutting board and position the food near the edge of the cutting board, to give your fingers clearance. However, having that clearance built in does increase a knife's versatility in the kitchen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

It's pretty, but it's not for me. I will continue using my mule in the kitchen.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

With the full curve of the belly it might handle pretty well on a cutting board.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Post by 224477 »

Wonderful design..
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

NEEEED IT!!! i love the shape of the blade! but i'm kinda on a budget right now! so maybe also a liner g10 version? :D
aogami super blue dragonfly!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I want this Knife. Spyderco make it and a small bug inlay cutting board.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
knolan

Post by knolan »

Glad someone resurrected this thread...I saw a pic of this folder in another recent thread discussing Marcin's Mouse folder and since I've gone absolutely nuts for the Techno, I've been craving another one of his Spyderco colabs in a larger folder, hopefully w/XHP again...and this one really speaks to me as a general EDC.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

This is an instant purchase for me. Hope it is moving along.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Bill1170 wrote:I don't understand why this would be any more useful in the kitchen than a Military. I also agree with those who say they prefer a purpose made kitchen knife, fixed blade, for food prep. The ideal all around blade length for a kitchen knife that "does it all" is around 5" to 7". That is considered huge for a folder, but modest in a kitchen.
as much as I think my Millie holds its own as a folding kitchen knife, if you are on a cutting board and trying to do any chopping you are only using maybe the front half of the blade because of the Military's downward, negative angle causing the handle or your knuckles to hit the board when the back half of the blade is still up in the air. This upswept new design means you could utilize the full edge for a rocking type chopping. Granted a roughly four inch blade will never be chopping much anyways, but for on the go food prep it seems like you are actually taking advantage of those four inches compared to many other knives.

If it had a little less exaggerated belly, with a little finer tip, and a blade thickness of 2 -2.5mm MAX I might be tempted to buy it. Probably wouldn't, though.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I think that this would do real fine as a daily carry/user and not just in the kitchen. Is it purpose built for that, sure I guess. Marcin can also call it kitchen only folder and I'll still treat it like any of my other edc folders.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
huckabee

Post by huckabee »

I really like this guys designs. His customs sell for big bucks so I really hope there is another collaboration between Spyderco and MarcinS for a production knife. I'll quickly snatch one or two up.
Senate

Post by Senate »

count me in for one!
but for what i understand it's a MarcinS proto, not a Spyderco/Marcins proto.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Slvr01Stang

Post by Slvr01Stang »

this would be an instant buy for me as well. love his designs...
knolan

Post by knolan »

Senate wrote:count me in for one!
but for what i understand it's a MarcinS proto, not a Spyderco/Marcins proto.
Hmm...are you sure of that? The title thread "SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS" seems to imply it is a Spydy colab? There was a similar thread on BF (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... om-MarcinS) that also suggested it was a collaborative effort.

I've been searching for a couple of months for more info of any kind re this folder but can't find much...if you have a link w/more detail I would certainly appreciate it...Thx!
Senate

Post by Senate »

knolan wrote:Hmm...are you sure of that? The title thread "SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS" seems to imply it is a Spydy colab? There was a similar thread on BF (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... om-MarcinS) that also suggested it was a collaborative effort.

I've been searching for a couple of months for more info of any kind re this folder but can't find much...if you have a link w/more detail I would certainly appreciate it...Thx!
you might be right afterall about the name hinting some collab in the work.
but i didn't read anything in recent shows reports mentionning a proto.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
knolan

Post by knolan »

^Got it...thanks.
Studey

Post by Studey »

knolan wrote:Hmm...are you sure of that? The title thread "SpydeChef - concept kitchen framelock folder by MarcinS" seems to imply it is a Spydy colab? There was a similar thread on BF (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... om-MarcinS) that also suggested it was a collaborative effort.

From what I recall, PiterM bought that knife from Marcin, then presented/showed it to Sal.