Spyderco 400F Ceramic Files?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco 400F Ceramic Files?

Post by JD Spydo »

Personally I have just about every sharpening tool Spyderco has ever made up till now. I even still have my older Galley V sharpening system of Spyderco's from the mid to late 90s>> shows you how dedicated I am to the brand Spyderco :cool: :D . There is one of Spyderco's sharpening tool sets that I've had for a long time but have never seen it discussed here on the Forum at all to my recollection>> I'm talking about the Spyderco 400F ceramic file set.

For those of you who are fairly new here to Spyderville and it's great sharpening products the 400F file set are 4 fairly small, intricate ceramic files of different shapes that come in a really nice leather tool holder. I've found them extremely handy working on just about anything mechanical and also great for working on some jewelry items and also some machine tool applications.

My question is for those of you who own the Spyderco 400F file set is>> What Do You Use Them For? Or what uses have you discovered them to be good for? I've used mine for a wide variety of different types of fix-it jobs and I've even used mine on knife repairs and restorations. I'm curious to hear from you all to see if we can learn from each other. OK so who owns the 400F file set and what have you all found them to be useful and helpful for?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Revival

Post by Revival »

im in for learning purposes
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have the 400F file set. I liked that they were so compact but have the different shaped files to deal with serrations, etc. Easy to take with me camping. So compact I tend to always keep them with me in the center console of my truck. I'll be honest though, that I haven't really USED them a whole lot, I have so many great sharpening products from Spyderco :) I use my doublestuff quite a bit (and the one that is equivalent to just the fine portion of the doublestuff, the 303F I think? Got it on clearance for a great price).

The 400F is just a handy set to keep around.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I really like the 400F set too, JD. And I'm extremely jealous of your Galley-V - I always meant to pick up another one after my first one got lost in a move. They are fantastic!

As for the 400F, here are a few things I use them for:

- Sharpening and deburring edges on some of my smaller woodworking tools with intricate edges

- Polishing the tangs on fixed blades like the Mules

- Making minor modifications to my EDC knives, such as rounding the front quillion/ricasso on the UKPK, easing the edges of the G10 around the lock release on the Para2, and polishing the inside of the Spydie Hole on some non-stainless models

- Performing field repairs on the edge of my camp knife (they are light weight and pack easily)

I'm sure I'll think of some more uses after I post this.

JD - let me ask you this - when do you reach for the 701MF set instead of the 400F set? It's a shame that they disco'ed the 701MF...

TedP
JD Spydo

400F Files::: More than a knife tool

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:I really like the 400F set too, JD. And I'm extremely jealous of your Galley-V - I always meant to pick up another one after my first one got lost in a move. They are fantastic!

As for the 400F, here are a few things I use them for:

- Sharpening and deburring edges on some of my smaller woodworking tools with intricate edges

- Polishing the tangs on fixed blades like the Mules

- Making minor modifications to my EDC knives, such as rounding the front quillion/ricasso on the UKPK, easing the edges of the G10 around the lock release on the Para2, and polishing the inside of the Spydie Hole on some non-stainless models

- Performing field repairs on the edge of my camp knife (they are light weight and pack easily)

I'm sure I'll think of some more uses after I post this.

JD - let me ask you this - when do you reach for the 701MF set instead of the 400F set? It's a shame that they disco'ed the 701MF...
Yes it is a SHAME that the Spyderco 701 Profile set had to be discontinued :( I carry one of my sets of 701 Profiles with me throughout the day in my utility bag that I use to work out of. They have come in handy on several occasions. But I also carry one of my sets of 400F Spyderco files as well.

The main reason I posted this thread is because I've been using my 400F File set a lot more than usual here of late and I'm finding more practical uses for them all the time. The folks at Spyderco are truly genius in the sharpening tool department. I also carry my DOUBLESTUFF stone with me daily as well when I'm wearing my Carhartt bibs to work. The side pocket on the leg is a very handy place to carry the Doublestuff>> and I use the Doublestuff almost daily.

With the 400F File set I'm finding many non-knife related jobs that they are also good for. I truly like all the uses you just made mention of and I hope more guys will chime in. And you can also mention the 701 Profiles and Doublestuff stone if you like.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!