which sage would you recommend?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elite430

which sage would you recommend?

Post by elite430 »

Hey guys, recently getting into knives and I've been doing some research, but there's still a lot I don't know. From what I've seen with design and functionality, Spyderco knives are definitely my taste and will probably mostly buy their knives now.

So my question is, which sage (1,2,3 not 4 sorry) would you recommend for the best all around edc folder? I'm on a budget and would like to just buy one knife that will do everyday tasks such as cutting paper, packages, food, some cardboard, and will perform decently if I take it on a camping trip as well (not looking for a tough survival knife like ZT or beefier spyderco knives). I don't know much about CF, Titanium or Blue G-10 handles besides cosmetics, and I definitely don't know much about the three different lock mechanisms.

Also, I'm on the east coast where people are sensitive about knife size so I'd like to keep it in the 3" blade size and the deep wire clip carry for better concealment.

Thanks!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

For your purposes, I'd suggest the Sage 1. It's a good, simple, all-around, EDC knife, and not super expensive.
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums!

my favourite is the sage 2 based solely on cosmetics. I think the sage 1 or 2 would fill your needs perfectly. the sage 3 is thicker with a more complicated lock, and i cant say much about the 4 so ill let someone else talk about it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All four are excellent knives in their own rights. All use exactly the same steel and have blades that are virtually the same size, shape, thickness, and grind so, at least in theory, they should all perform identically or very close to it. Al have similar, nearly identical, handles, so ergonomics will also be close to the same. That said, assuming you're right handed, the Sage I offers good looks and reliability at a relatively modest price. If you're a lefty, then you can either go with the Sage III for its price, the Sage IV for its classiness, or prove your adaptability by coping with a wrong handed lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Their all good. If you want a good all around edc however, go with the Sage I.
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Chose the right one...
[ATTACH]21370[/ATTACH]

the #2 is a good choice
Attachments
Sages_Crew.jpg
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sage 1

Lowest price and IMO best looking, best texture, lightest. Both of my adult sons carry one for EDC. I keep giving them as presents so don't have one myself at the moment.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

My personal favorite is the 2 but for what you describe I think the 1 would fit the bill.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome!
Also check out the Native in G10, it's similar but different.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
elite430

Post by elite430 »

thanks for all the replies! looks like sage 1 is the most recommended. i was mainly down to the 1 and 2 despite the price difference because titanium does look cool. but the carbon fiber on the sage 1 looks really sweet too and I've heard pictures don't do it justice. So I think I'll go with the sage 1. thanks
Revival

Post by Revival »

I had the same dilemma and went with the Sage 1. I cant wait to get it. I plan on getting the Sage 2 down the road though.
computernut

Post by computernut »

The nice thing about Spyderco is they make a knife for pretty much everyone and unfortunately that makes for some hard decisions. I have all 4 and would agree the Sage1 is a great EDC.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Sage 1
I have the 1 and 2 - and the Sage 1 has MUCH more pocket time than any other knife I own.
Great price for the quality F&F - looks good - feels good - classy and tuff.
I'm thinking that only the new Domino will replace it. I sometimes carry a BM Shoki, but more times than not - I reach for the Sage 1.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
Revival

Post by Revival »

Just got my Sage 1 in and its awesome. I cant stop fondling it.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Sage 1

it is the best all around knife from the Sage series IMO especially considering your tasks (which are similar to what i use my Sage 1 for)
The texture is actually more grippy than you think, the grip is very comfortable, lock-up and action is strong, smooth, and no play, wire clip is perfect AND can clean up and be used as a dress knife for work (well my work)... all around awesome knife. It was my 3rd spydie
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
springnr

Post by springnr »

Sage 1 or Chaparral
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like them in order- 1 then 2 then 3.
thurin

Post by thurin »

I've held them all but have only bought the sage 1. It's one of my favorites.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

The only Sages I am interested in are the 1 and 4... and since you've already ruled out 4 (don't blame you, pricey)... then I'd go 1.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah the 1 is the one. If you were considering the 4 it would be a harder decision. The 1 is light and comfortable to hold. The 2 has the sharpness of the lock cutout, a cold, plain, tractionless handle and the added expense of ti. I don't hate the 2 but it's not a contender unless you are a lover of ti framelocks.