Suggestions for forcing patina?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Once I get a patina to my liking I wipe the blade with Marine Tuf-Cloth. I have one SB Caly 3.5 that I wiped with a Tuf-Cloth from the beginning that has never developed a patina. I've also polished off existing patina and started over again.

kbuzbee - I'm curious about the wire clip you added to your GB Air. How is that attached.
Recent :spyder: Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Brisket wrote: - I'm curious about the wire clip you added to your GB Air. How is that attached.
short answer - Dremelled a channel between the scale and the liner. I put a bit of epoxy to strengthen it but I'm not sure that was required. Seemed pretty strong without it.

Ken
玉鋼
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

I was initially considering submerging the blade in vinegar in order to get an even patina like this (pics courtesy of mongatu on blade forums): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... Blue/page4

However, after seeing some of the pics in this thread, I may need to reevaluate.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

kbuzbee wrote:short answer - Dremelled a channel between the scale and the liner. I put a bit of epoxy to strengthen it but I'm not sure that was required. Seemed pretty strong without it.

Ken

Clever solution. Thanks for sharing.
Recent :spyder: Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just forced a patina on my new SB Caly 3 last night. This time, after previously applying Tuf-Glide to the pivot area, I dipped just the blade into a cup of white vinegar for about 25 minutes. Then, used some fine steel wool to even out the finish.

I like how it turned out. It's a little more evenly colored than the Caly 3.5 that I cut a strawberry with. The strawberry produced more of a rainbow effect. I find them both very interesting to look at. Here are some pictures.

:bug-red-white
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice job photographing the 3.5! Those rainbow patterns are hard to catch.

Ken
玉鋼
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

natural patinas are better imo as illustrated in the photos.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I think I might try to get that rainbow patina on my M4 Manix2, but I'm trying to keep the M4 Mili as clean as as plausible. That may change.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
dub

Post by dub »

I really like how these patinas look. I don't want to force mine, but once it happens naturally, what should I do to resist rust? That's what I'm really worried about.

Looks like the steps would be:

Tuf-Glide around the pivot/tang
Use the knife
Patina occurs
and then what to prevent rust? Is wiping it after each use enough?

Thanks guys!
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

KW emailed and told me that they won't have enough stock to fill my order, and I can't seem to find these anywhere else other than the bay. Sad face :( . At least I got some good information on patinas by starting this thread.
d.2.the.p

Update w/pic!

Post by d.2.the.p »

So after having received that email, a week later something showed up on my doorstep. Surprise! They were able to fill my order afterall!

I ended up going with a grapefruit patina. I really like how it turned out. Here it is:

[ATTACH]21452[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0168 - Copy.JPG
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

d.2.the.p wrote:So after having received that email, a week later something showed up on my doorstep. Surprise! They were able to fill my order afterall!

I ended up going with a grapefruit patina. I really like how it turned out. Here it is:

[ATTACH]21452[/ATTACH]
This is very nice.