Visited Spyderco at SHOT, so many knives in the works!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

Visited Spyderco at SHOT, so many knives in the works!

Post by mark greenman »

By far my favorite part of SHOT each year is visiting the Spyderco booth, aka Sharp Mecca. This was my 3rd visit, and the most impressive. Typically, there is usually one display case showing off prototypes and concept models. This year there were two cases, packed to maximum capacity. I would say that a conservative estimate would be about 50 new models in the works.

I did not take any pictures because I was not authorized to do so, but here are some of the ones I remember:

Titanium Para 2: The very first knife that caught my eye was the Titanium Paramilitary 2. This knife was solid Ti, and featured and integral comp lock, which is something we haven’t seen since the ATR. Further enhancing the awesomeness was the fact that the handle was fluted Ti, providing traction and loads of aesthetic appeal. This knife will not be cheap – but it will be mine.

Whatsit Powerlock: The next knife that I noticed was this MASSIVE spyderco folder called, appropriately, the “Whatsit.” The blade was over 5” long (possibly 6&#8221 ;) , in a wide, bayonet ground leaf shape. I would describe it as a Superleaf blade with a Native style bayonet grind. To give you a sense of just how massive this folder is, it totally dwarfed the Laci Szabo Folder. Personally, I liked the looks of this one very much, but for my own use it is too large- I would love the same design in a 4” folder. However I know some will absolutely love this thing.
-The coolest part of the Whatsit is the new Powerlock, which is an interesting modification of the classic backlock. I’m afraid I cannot describe this as accurately or as precisely as I would like to, but it was like a backlock that cammed into two pieces when folding. This is a terrible description but until you see it in person its difficult to describe. However, what I can say is that the result was that the lock was butter smooth to depress, and opening the knife was smoother than the typical backlock.

Big Dyad: I’m a huge fan of the Spyderco Dyad Jr, so my heart skipped a beat when I saw that there was a full-size C44 Dyad in the case. The knife appeared to be unchanged from the original, in the wonderful grey G10 used on the G10 Manbug. I really like grey G10 because its manly and classic, while also being making the knife appear much friendlier to non-knife people. The ergos were surprisingly good – this is simply a must have for me.

RIL Dyad-type concept: I didn’t catch the name of this one, but Sal has designed a new Dyad style two-blade knife. He wanted the handles to be thinner, so he used Titanium scales with integral frame locks. The blades were about 3” long. He expressed concern that the cost of this knife may be prohibitive, so I tried not to get too attached, but it was very cool.

Natives: There were quite a few Native’s in the case, some sporting what appeared to be multi-colored swirls of acrylic resin for handles. However, the coolest Native featured a fluted CF handle.

Fluted CF: In addition to the fluted CF Native, there was a fluted CF Para 2. This is a new process developed by Spyderco, and made for a visually interesting and secure handle.

Whale rescue Handle: In addition to being made in H1, the Whale rescue blade may soon be available with a handle, as per the request of certain specialized customers. Holding this big ***, SE Scythe in my hand, it was difficult to imagine anything that I couldn’t cut through.

Reverse Fixed blade: I’m not sure if I got the name right, but there was a fixed blade in the case sporting a 3.5” (aprox) wharncliff/ hawkbill hybrid blade identical to the P’kal folder but slightly longer. It’s a joint collaboration between Southnarc and Mike Janich, and what makes this blade so interesting is that it has reversible scales, which allows the user to configure the knife for RGEI, or RGEO. I did not see what type of sheath was used.

Black Blade Laci Szabo: There was the Laci Szabo folder in the case, sporting a black blade. I think I like the black blade version better than the uncoated, which is rare for me.

Ed Schempp Knives: I own and adore a Schempp Khukuri and Rock Salt, so I’m always interested in the new Schempp prototypes. This year there was a very interesting Khukuri folder (I do not recall the name), still in the concept phase, that looked like a modified version of the original. I felt that the lines had become more rounded, the handle width stretched ever so slightly, and a bit more cutting edge. However, I did not have the original next to me for a direct comparison. The blade was made of a San Mei 154cm/S90 composite, which was developed by Carpenter.
-There were also several sizes of the Frontier model. I did not get to handle this one, but they look like a brass bolstered and CF handled folding bowie knife, but with the Ed Schempp negative blade angle. There was a 3” version and a 3.75” version.
-There was also a micro fixed blade called the Ladyfinger, which looked like it had a lot of applications. I did not handle this one, but the overall length appeared to be about 4-4.5”, with a very slender (10mm?) handle and a eyebrow shaped blade. It looked like it would make for a great EDC, or a nasty little hideout knife.

Butch Vallotton DA: At first I had no idea why the Butch Vallotton was back in the concepts case, as it was aesthetically identical to the existing model….then Sal slid over a piece of the handle scale and the knife popped open. Turns out, this ones an ambidextrous, hidden action switchblade. Very cool, but will only be for the foreign market due to customs.

“The Man-love Thursday Shower Rape knife”: This is my name for this knife, but it accurately reflects its mission. Apparently there has been a rash of man rape in the showers of US Military bases abroad, which has affected all ranks including a general. So, some soldiers contacted Spyderco to create a small fixed blade neck knife that they could wear in the shower to defend themselves against the locals. The result is a very small H1 fixed blade with a paracord handle. The blade is about the size of a Dragonfly blade, but with a small, sort of Bowie clip shape. The handle was also very small. Interesting application, but I would much prefer an H1 Swick with a P’kal style wharncliff / hawkbill blade if I’m fighting it out in the showers on Man-love Thursday.

http://www.bouhammer.com/2010/01/and-yo ... thursdays/

Folding Swick: I do not know the proper name for this folder, but it looks like a folding swick. This knife simply blew me away, the Swick finger hole is integral to the blade, and when folded it protrudes out the back of the handle – allowing it to double as a flipper! Blade length was 2.5” long, and it was sporting a blue g10 handle. This knife is a must have.

This does not even cover half of the knives in the case!

While playing with the protos was amazing, what was probably the coolest part was talking with Sal, who is in addition to being a maker of pocketknives, is now a maker of pocket cruisers!

http://sagemarine.us/

The back-story behind this boat is simply fantastic, and really says a lot about Spyderco and the man behind it.

Overall, it was a really great visit this year, and in addition to these new models, I’m going to be buying a jewelers loupe to inspect my edges from now on :cool: :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for sharing. A lot of interesting info. Certainly several must haves. Ti Para and of cause most if not all Natives. I cannot wait to see Frontier as well. Hopefully after Amsterdam. Fluted CF also sound very interesting. O G-d, I will need a lot of cash.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Man, I want the sailboat, too. Sal talked about building sailboats when I last saw him. Very cool to see the result.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like a lot of great knives.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

mark greenman wrote: Folding Swick: I do not know the proper name for this folder, but it looks like a folding swick. This knife simply blew me away, the Swick finger hole is integral to the blade, and when folded it protrudes out the back of the handle – allowing it to double as a flipper! Blade length was 2.5” long, and it was sporting a blue g10 handle. This knife is a must have.
Thanks Mark! I'm not legally allowed to spill those beans, but I'm really glad you liked it and spilled those beans. I was hoping that they would show the Carbon Fiber one, as it has some really nice adjustments from the Smurf one, but some of the design changes weren't approved. We're still trying to pick a name.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is a great thread. Hopefully more discussion emerges for those who couldn't go to SHOT and can't make it to Amsterdam either. Can't wait to hear more about the "Whatsit".
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
connor

Post by connor »

mark greenman wrote: Titanium Para 2: The very first knife that caught my eye was the Titanium Paramilitary 2. This knife was solid Ti, and featured and integral comp lock, which is something we haven’t seen since the ATR. Further enhancing the awesomeness was the fact that the handle was fluted Ti, providing traction and loads of aesthetic appeal. This knife will not be cheap – but it will be mine.
Oh no. There goes a lot of money. Any info on the steel in the Ti Para 2?
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Thank you so much for sharing. I can hardly wait for Blade2013. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for sharing, mark. I've been waiting patiently for Spyderco's kitchen knives to come but it sounds like there will be a couple of folders that I will need to pick up. A light weight Native 5 and a folding/flipper Swick sound very interesting.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks so much Mark :D . These threads excite and scare me at the same time. It's tough to allocate your various holiday and celebration gifts this far in advance :p .
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Wow..sounds like some great new stuff coming up..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Holland

Post by Holland »

those paras sounds amazing! cant wait
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I was told not to talk about these but hey! Secrets out! Titanium Paramilitary 2s WOOO!!

The Vallotton D/A was a very interesting piece. When Ed was showing me how to use it, he said a normal person won't be able to figure out how to use the D/A part even if you're familiar with other scale release D/As.

There is also a slipjoint Native 5 in the works that looks very promising for those who can't have locking blades.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Another good year for Spyderco, not so good for my wallet, we really need to stop telling them what we want :p .
Particularly looking forward to the fixed blade P'kal I'm salivating over that !
I see, said the blind man.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

w3tnz wrote:we really need to stop telling them what we want :p .
No joke! You rarely get companies with this level of customer interaction and respect. I have to say, the Glessers are a class act and they stay grounded to who they serve. It is a really mutually-beneficial interaction, unless you look at our savings accounts.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Invective

Post by Invective »

Ed Schempp Knives: I own and adore a Schempp Khukuri and Rock Salt, so I’m always interested in the new Schempp prototypes. This year there was a very interesting Khukuri folder (I do not recall the name), still in the concept phase, that looked like a modified version of the original. I felt that the lines had become more rounded, the handle width stretched ever so slightly, and a bit more cutting edge. However, I did not have the original next to me for a direct comparison. The blade was made of a San Mei 154cm/S90 composite, which was developed by Carpenter
Oh lordy this is amazing. I have been trying to get my hands on an original for a quite some time now so I really hope this comes to fruition. If not, Hey Sal, think I could buy the proto for this :D

This year is not going to be good for my wallet, and I'm even trying to cut back on my buying. Guess I'd best save up now :p
BAL

Post by BAL »

Whatsit..... Dwarf the Szabo folder. Now that's right up my alley.
And anything by Ed Schempp.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Thanks for the run down, Mark! Exciting stuff in the works!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mark greenman wrote:
Big Dyad: I’m a huge fan of the Spyderco Dyad Jr, so my heart skipped a beat when I saw that there was a full-size C44 Dyad in the case. The knife appeared to be unchanged from the original, in the wonderful grey G10 used on the G10 Manbug. I really like grey G10 because its manly and classic, while also being making the knife appear much friendlier to non-knife people. The ergos were surprisingly good – this is simply a must have for me.
Grey G10? This simply HAS to be Super Blue! PLEASE?

Ken
玉鋼
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Did you see all the other knives coming in Super Blue listed? Caly 3, Delica, Endura, Stretch, ladybug - Awesome! I saw a list of them on Blade HQ's website.

kbuzbee wrote:Grey G10? This simply HAS to be Super Blue! PLEASE?

Ken