Visited Spyderco at SHOT, so many knives in the works!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

Awesome list, thanks for the update! Looking forward to all the para 2 variations :p , particularly curious as to how cold or hot my PS mock up of a TI-para 2 from a year or two back is vs the OEM/concept ti para 2 you stated [besides the fluting]
Jarhead90

Post by Jarhead90 »

psychophipps wrote:Now this should certainly be interesting. While it's designed for RG, I'm quite certain that it will work as a FGEI knife as well as long as the blade geometry isn't too out there. I, for one, am *VERY* interested in seeing some more info on this knife. Thanks for the heads up! :)
I'm anxiously waiting to see this new SN/Michael Janich blade.
-Trevor

Endura
Temperance 2
Tops Wolf Pup
CS Voyager (SE)
CRKT Bear Claw
Native--M.I.A.
Paul Moore "custom" Knife
Meyerco Wharning
Shivworks Disciple
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Yep, I would like a CF para2....
sal

Post by sal »

The CPM-154 / S90V laminate was developed by Crucuble.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sal,
Will you make Native5 with this steel?
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

We have some to play with. It's pretty expensisve which raises the cost of mfg quite a bit. It is certainly up for discussion. When we first ordered the steel, we expected to get enough to do soemthing with, but we only received a small amount. I guess Niagara wanted to give everyone a taste.

sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Why would you clad S90V with anything? What's the goal here?

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We have some to play with. It's pretty expensisve which raises the cost of mfg quite a bit. It is certainly up for discussion. When we first ordered the steel, we expected to get enough to do soemthing with, but we only received a small amount. I guess Niagara wanted to give everyone a taste.
sal
Sal,
Thank you. Would the blade be more expensive than solid S90V?
kbuzbee wrote:Why would you clad S90V with anything? What's the goal here?
Ken
Ken,
I would think that the clad should be tougher and easier to grind than solid S90V. May be better stain resistance due to lower carbon content in CPM154 to compare to core.
I also would love to hear Sal's input.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote:I would think that the clad should be tougher and easier to grind than solid S90V. May be better stain resistance due to lower carbon content in CPM154 to compare to core.
I also would love to hear Sal's input.
Thanks Roman, yeah, I figured some or all of those thoughts. For me, I don't see a need to improve S90V on toughness or corrosion resistance. It's just fine on both. Now if we're talking cost to manufacture, because it's easier to grind into shape, I suppose I get that. I just tend to prefer non laminated blades.

Ken
玉鋼
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Roman,

Considering just the blade, the steel is about 2.5 times as much raw and I'm guessing higher processing costs due to locating the laminate and closes heat treat tolerance.

We'll probably do something, just have to be careful on selection so we can please those that would be interested in having a knife made from the "stuff" in a model they would enjoy.

I would really like to see Crucible make "damascus" like Damasteel's. They're getting close to the can process with this laminate and it would be USA made and available in larger amounts and hopefully more production affordable costs.

sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

There are some very cool sounding projects in the works. I hope to be able to get at least a few in time.

An affordable domestic production damascus would be very cool.

Also interested in the sailboat should I have somewhere to put it in the future. It sounds like a nice refined modern design.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Sal, and all, I did get a "sample" of the laminate or San Mai, not sure the right term at this point-- and had intended to get something made up for SHOT but got overcome by other projects. I saw what Ed Schempp did with it and it is unique and makes a striking blade. I really like the line where the two grades meet near the edge. As soon as I got home I made a downsized South Fork blade and experimented with the heat treat. I wanted close to the target hardness on the CPM S90V as I could get and still not damage the CPM 154 by over heat. Cut a slot in the tang down to close to the center so I could check the hardness on both steels as I went along. The end result is that I got what I wanted on the 90v and the 154Cm is about 2 pts softer. Grinding and finish goes nice and is faster due to the fact that most of the effort is on the CPM 154 that of course has less carbide to resist the work. I will finish the knife and report further but I did sharpen it and cut some rope. Not sure if this is the std 90V chemistry but first take is that it seems very aggressive-- I cut 90 slices on 3/4 rope and it was basically unaffected. Phil
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Very exciting to hear Phil. Your reputation for outstanding heat treating will no doubt get the most out of this steel combination. I'd love to hear how your testing progresses.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:Hi Roman,
Considering just the blade, the steel is about 2.5 times as much raw and I'm guessing higher processing costs due to locating the laminate and closes heat treat tolerance.
We'll probably do something, just have to be careful on selection so we can please those that would be interested in having a knife made from the "stuff" in a model they would enjoy.
I would really like to see Crucible make "damascus" like Damasteel's. They're getting close to the can process with this laminate and it would be USA made and available in larger amounts and hopefully more production affordable costs.
sal
Sal,
Thank you. considering what you said about cost, I am not really clear now what will be benefits for users to blade made from laminate vs. solid S90V. What are your thoughts?
Crucible stainless Damascus will be interesting. I would love to see nice gents knife made in Golden.
kbuzbee wrote: I just tend to prefer non laminated blades.
Ken
+1
But most likely will not be able to pass on laminated Native with S90V core, unless it will be cost prohibitive.
Phil Wilson wrote:Sal, and all, I did get a "sample" of the laminate or San Mai, not sure the right term at this point-- and had intended to get something made up for SHOT but got overcome by other projects. I saw what Ed Schempp did with it and it is unique and makes a striking blade. I really like the line where the two grades meet near the edge. As soon as I got home I made a downsized South Fork blade and experimented with the heat treat. I wanted close to the target hardness on the CPM S90V as I could get and still not damage the CPM 154 by over heat. Cut a slot in the tang down to close to the center so I could check the hardness on both steels as I went along. The end result is that I got what I wanted on the 90v and the 154Cm is about 2 pts softer. Grinding and finish goes nice and is faster due to the fact that most of the effort is on the CPM 154 that of course has less carbide to resist the work. I will finish the knife and report further but I did sharpen it and cut some rope. Not sure if this is the std 90V chemistry but first take is that it seems very aggressive-- I cut 90 slices on 3/4 rope and it was basically unaffected. Phil
Phil,
thank you for sharing. Would you prefer this laminate to solid S90V? And if yes, than why?
Roman

Holland

Post by Holland »

laminate or not, an s90v native will be on my list for sure
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Check it out, it is like an alternate (slightly bluer) dimension, where knives are boats..... :D
http://www.sagemarine.us/forum/
mark greenman wrote:
While playing with the protos was amazing, what was probably the coolest part was talking with Sal, who is in addition to being a maker of pocketknives, is now a maker of pocket cruisers!

http://sagemarine.us/

The back-story behind this boat is simply fantastic, and really says a lot about Spyderco and the man behind it.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

I think the RIL dyad would be awesome to see! I would totally pick one up!

Sal please make it so?
Cheers!
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Were there any new little big knives?
tea

Post by tea »

Any more information about “The Man-love Thursday Shower Rape knife”? Pictures (of the knife)? I like little knives.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

tea wrote:I like little knives.
Me too, thankfully not for that use!

An H1 necker would totally rock. I'm in! Would love to see a scaled down Southfork in H1. 2 1/2-3" total length and kydex neck sheath would be amazing.

Ken
玉鋼