Karahawk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Sal has been very helpful there as the designer of the karahawk and states his design of the ring was to offer the option of having your fingers free and still maintain the knife in hand.
I have no doubt it will be fine this is on the must have list so will be looking to the release date with eager anticipation.
KbitOwner

Post by KbitOwner »

Well, I've been on here and have read quite a bit about this new and upcoming Karahawk knife and look forward to trying it out as I'm a current owner of the redesigned (improved) Emerson Combat Karambit ($260) (with the slightly more enlarged 24mm ring feature) as well as the 599 FOX Karambit Knife ($125) (with the same 24mm ring size and the Patented Emerson Wave Catch Feature). I also own the 479, 478 & 480 FOX Kbit models but they are too large for my XL hand and are really meant for XXL hands. What I'd like to find out is does anyone else own the 599 FOX Kbit knife? I can say with all the Kbit's that I own that these two models are the BEST and are EQUAL to each other in their qualities. The thing is though what initially confused me was with the 599 FOX Kbit why is it half the cost? I found out later that the failing Euro dollar STILL goes further in it's value than our failing American dollar. So if the 599 FOX Kbit was made here in the U.S. it would sell for about same price as the Emerson Combat Karambit. Plus (from what I saw on a YouTube vid), Funker Tactical (a tactical review site company) is now endorsing the 599 FOX Karambit. Interesting but not surprising as it's a great Kbit. Here's the link to the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArV-idpSRf8

Again, it would be great to get some feedback from others that own 599 FOX Kbit model.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Because the eu regions are heavily taxed against goods imported from the us very heavily offsetting current exchange.
Unless the dollar is .50 to the £ its not worth importing to the uk eg a $54 mule + $25 shipping cost $129 by the time the uk government is finished.
And no spyderco makes not a penny more a more puzzling case is this the lionspy made in Italy yet at least $100 cheaper in the USA than the uk which is a **** site nearer than the us to which lion steel have to ship to.
Why because spyderco is a us and outside the eu based company I had a talk to Sal a while back about setting up a eu based distribution centre.
But then the logistics and politics would probably mean a new company would have to be set up registered in the eu , confusing huh.
Anyway the karahawk yes I'm looking forward to it too immensely and knowing spyderco it should be worth the wait.
shao.fu.tzer

Post by shao.fu.tzer »

I don't know how long the Karahawk has been in development, but around January or so I wrote like a five page essay to Sal about how he needs to release a new karambit with a wave. I told him Warren Thomas and Jason Brous were on board for design and emphasized that it would be a huge hit. So... if you stole my idea Sal, you owe me some royalty money. :D
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

I want this one either way along with some others in the mid year supplement...really want this and a few others.

But I do wish they had a black version, that would be even hotter
sal

Post by sal »

shao.fu.tzer wrote:I don't know how long the Karahawk has been in development, but around January or so I wrote like a five page essay to Sal about how he needs to release a new karambit with a wave. I told him Warren Thomas and Jason Brous were on board for design and emphasized that it would be a huge hit. So... if you stole my idea Sal, you owe me some royalty money. :D
Hi Shao.fu.tzer,

I remember your note to me on a Kerambit. However, when you wrote to me, the design was already complete and we testing prototypes. Couldn't say much as it was really too early. We are aware of Warren's kerambit design having made some in the past. Hadn't seen any of Jason's designs. Actually I wanted to try my hand at a design that I felt a modern kerambit should be. I guess time will tell if it is well received.

Hi KBar,

A black version is possible depending on reception and demand.

sal
Jimbro

Post by Jimbro »

I own an Emerson karambit and carry it occasionally. It's the type of knife that can intimidate NKP and I tend not to use it for routine tasks. I probably will skip the Spyderco version since I already own one version of this knife type. If I didn't I'd be all over this!
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I am pretty psyched about this knife. I just hope the price is friendly.

JD
sal

Post by sal »

JudasD wrote:I am pretty psyched about this knife. I just hope the price is friendly. JD
Hi JD,

Being made in Seki with VG-10 woun't be as friendly as if it were made in China with 8Cr13MoV. The G-10 is made in the USA, that must add some value. VG-10 processed in Japan will bring out the best in VG-10....there's value there. Our maker in Seki has been working with us for 32 years and has an excellent reputation for high quality, excellent fit and finish (custom quality), very good action, reliable locks, high performance and longevity that comes with high quality.

You'll have to decide if the price is friendly for what you get.

sal
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

sal wrote:Hi JD,

Being made in Seki with VG-10 woun't be as friendly as if it were made in China with 8Cr13MoV. The G-10 is made in the USA, that must add some value. VG-10 processed in Japan will bring out the best in VG-10....there's value there. Our maker in Seki has been working with us for 32 years and has an excellent reputation for high quality, excellent fit and finish (custom quality), very good action, reliable locks, high performance and longevity that comes with high quality.

sal
Hi Sal. The Karahawk sounds like it would be comparable quality wise with a Caly 3.5 or the Calypso Sprint. Will it be similarly priced to those? I feel both of those are priced very well.

Thanks,
JD
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

sal wrote:Hi Shao.fu.tzer,

I remember your note to me on a Kerambit. However, when you wrote to me, the design was already complete and we testing prototypes. Couldn't say much as it was really too early. We are aware of Warren's kerambit design having made some in the past. Hadn't seen any of Jason's designs. Actually I wanted to try my hand at a design that I felt a modern kerambit should be. I guess time will tell if it is well received.

Hi KBar,

A black version is possible depending on reception and demand.

sal
yeah, well I plan to get one anyway. Just by the time black comes out, I usually get screwed cause I already have the non black version... maybe I'll be able to trade it though than and get a black one. Cause I could wait and see....but this one I like to much to wait, I plan to just get it.
freewheeling

Post by freewheeling »

I have the FX599 and a couple of Emerson Combat Karambits pre and post 2012. The 599 is a nifty knife but I have a couple of nitpicks. First of all the ring has a bigger inside diameter than the Emersons (either the older one or the new one). That seems like a good idea, but it makes it harder to control in an extension and that's also the case because it's a single rather than a double ring (which the Emersons have). It's also not as comfortable in the hand in a "sabre grip," mostly because of the larger diameter ring I think, but I'm not sure. The other nitpick is that the Fox blade in inset quite a bit from the choil which I would think might reduce the effectiveness of the cut in a tactical situation. The Emersons feel like they have more edge available in a fight. The Fox looks great, and I think the 690 steel is probably a bit better than the 154CM steel used in the Emersons. I gather the N690Co is comparable to VG10. I also prefer a steel locking liner although I guess Ti is all the rage. The Fox also has a V grind which gives it a straighter cut if you're using it for a non-tactical purpose. The wave on the Fox is *very* effective. If anything it's better than the Emerson original, and you could probably use it as a church key too.

I haven't seen the Karahawk close up but it looks like it may have most of the advantages of both the Fox and Emersons without the disadvantages of either. Hopefully they'll also offer a trainer, which is really a necessity if you're planning to use the knife for tactical purposes.
christopher

Post by christopher »

It's different from the usual Spydie. (Not that that's bad.) But it does fill a niche that is new and different. Got to get one.
Chris
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

sal wrote:Hi JD,

sal

Let me start by saying that I opened this thread and spewed profanity for 30 seconds straight ( in a good way).
I haven't been keeping up with the new Spydies, mostly because my wallet had been disagreeable lately, but I'll be cracking the piggy bank for this one, no doubt about it.

I think VG10 in Seki will be perfect. We know the steadfast quality that constantly comes from the Seki knives, I
don't think there are many here who don't love a good Seki Spydie.

I'm extremely excited. My wife is gonna kill me. ;)

Thanks for doing this Sal, and kudos you for using your own design. I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

Yeah this one is on top of my list for sure...also if it still come sout in September it will the perfect Bday gift to myself. hahaha
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KbitOwner, Jimbro,

Welcome to our forum (a bit late, my aplogies).

Hey Freewheeling,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. The production of a trainer will depend on how many people want one.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Given the nature of a kerambit blade you really don't want to cut corners on price and quality. Plenty of those on the market.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

sal wrote:Hi KbitOwner, Jimbro,

Welcome to our forum (a bit late, my aplogies).

Hey Freewheeling,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. The production of a trainer will depend on how many people want one.

sal
I'd be down for trainers...so that's at least two people hahaha. not enough just yet though .
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

freewheeling wrote:I have the FX599 and a couple of Emerson Combat Karambits pre and post 2012. The 599 is a nifty knife but I have a couple of nitpicks. First of all the ring has a bigger inside diameter than the Emersons (either the older one or the new one). That seems like a good idea, but it makes it harder to control in an extension and that's also the case because it's a single rather than a double ring (which the Emersons have). It's also not as comfortable in the hand in a "sabre grip," mostly because of the larger diameter ring I think, but I'm not sure. The other nitpick is that the Fox blade in inset quite a bit from the choil which I would think might reduce the effectiveness of the cut in a tactical situation. The Emersons feel like they have more edge available in a fight. The Fox looks great, and I think the 690 steel is probably a bit better than the 154CM steel used in the Emersons. I gather the N690Co is comparable to VG10. I also prefer a steel locking liner although I guess Ti is all the rage. The Fox also has a V grind which gives it a straighter cut if you're using it for a non-tactical purpose. The wave on the Fox is *very* effective. If anything it's better than the Emerson original, and you could probably use it as a church key too.

I haven't seen the Karahawk close up but it looks like it may have most of the advantages of both the Fox and Emersons without the disadvantages of either. Hopefully they'll also offer a trainer, which is really a necessity if you're planning to use the knife for tactical purposes.
Hi fella don't know if you've read the whole thread me I sometimes skip the early pages hence the question .
Having practised Silat using traditional non ringed Karambits in Malaysia , Thailand and Indonesia we learned techniques that as stated unless the person opts for compliance in training , would cause injury with the ring .
As you sound from your post to have used in practice do these trainers have a soft ring or a quick release catch ?.
As if not I'd imagine a lot of the submission techniques and non blade attacks are out with a trainer , or just practiced in a going through the motions kind of thing .
Be interested to hear your observations and how you approach these issues I'm sure you know what I mean without offering descriptions of such techniques .
And if you think or know of ways that can get these methods incorporated into training without risk .
Having said that the stuff I did was purely eastern , no western influence very physical and if you broke a finger then you put up and shut up :D .
But we used as Mike Janich stated banana shaped hilts on fixed kbits only no folding ones were present I belive they are a Filipino and western designed version designed for combat separated from the combat Karambit derived from farming tools etc ,
Thanks .
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

Can't wait for the Karahawk! It'll be here before we know it!