Native 5 with carbon fiber and S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks for your input! I guess I just meant "odd" in the sense that it is unlike any CF that I have seen before.

I suppose that I would prefer the woven CF on the Sage 1 if I could only have one. But they each have their virtues--peel-ply is very grippy, the polished is stunning, and the matte T-Mag is very classy.
I checked my Forum N5 from last year and a G10 N5 from two years ago and both have the gap on the lockbar. Whether or not it's attractive, it does appear to be the production norm. :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

JNewell wrote:I checked my Forum N5 from last year and a G10 N5 from two years ago and both have the gap on the lockbar. Whether or not it's attractive, it does appear to be the production norm. :)
Thanks! I was just wondering because my FRN Native doesn't have the gap.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You can clearly see in this pic I posted a few days ago that all my Natives have gaps at the lockbar...

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Sure enough! Thanks. My fears of a less-than-perfect specimen have been proven wrong.

I'm really enjoying it for EDC! It isn't all that hard to sharpen, either.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Thanks! I was just wondering because my FRN Native doesn't have the gap.
Interesting! :spyder:
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

In stock now at GP Knives
Donut

Post by Donut »

GoldenSpydie wrote: Top to bottom: Native 5 (peel ply CF), T-Mag (coarse CF), Dodo (polished CF), Sage 1 (woven CF)
I actually think the Dodo has Matte Carbon Fiber as there are some other models with a shiny flat Carbon Fiber finish, such as the Michael Walker sprint. The Dodo almost has a paper feel to it.

The Sage 1 (and Chaparral 1) I have heard called Twill and actually has a bumpy layer of G-10 under it to give it the texture.

The newish Sage 3 is kind of interesting where it seems like you can feel the direction the carbon fiber is going.

The lock bar is kind of interesting, it doesn't bother me on most knives. My Worker sprint has a similar sized gap, but the lock bar is finished crooked. I'll have to try to get a shot of it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Scales on my CF Dodo are not completely smooth like on UKPK, Caly3/3.5 or Native4, also they are certainly not peel-ply. I like them a lot
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

While the lock bar gap may bother some I find the back lock on the native 5, specifically on a forum knife, to be the finest operating back lock have ever encountered. Very smooth, incredibly positive engagement, and no play in any direction.

This is partly why I just picked one up at KW who have them back in stock.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Back in stock at GP
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

jtoler_9 wrote:Back in stock at GP
Got One, Thank you. Been waiting on a Pre-order from June of last year from another company, but it just has not been filled. So, guess I will cancel that one now.

Or, maybe get two???
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Keep the backup. This knife is a perfect EDC IMO. Perfect size and materials
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ViperGTS wrote:Keep the backup. This knife is a perfect EDC IMO. Perfect size and materials
+1 I still cannot make up my mind, which one I love more: Current sprint or Forum Edition. CF is certainly grown on me. I even liked CF on Caly3.5.
Raymond3 wrote:Got One, Thank you. Been waiting on a Pre-order from June of last year from another company, but it just has not been filled. So, guess I will cancel that one now.
Or, maybe get two???
Get two and cancel pre-order.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Dabblerinred
Banned

Post by Dabblerinred »

Im such a nice guy, on top of the one I canceled from GP preorder, I passed on a second one from KW this morning.... So that's TWO N5CF's at great prices that goes to someone else. Hope they go to an end user and not flipper hehe.

My user will be the CF, my Forum has remained in the safe.

Now I have the N5 LWT to look forward to :) it's gonna be an all out brawl between it and my Delica superblue for pocket time.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Donut wrote:I actually think the Dodo has Matte Carbon Fiber as there are some other models with a shiny flat Carbon Fiber finish, such as the Michael Walker sprint. The Dodo almost has a paper feel to it.

The Sage 1 (and Chaparral 1) I have heard called Twill and actually has a bumpy layer of G-10 under it to give it the texture.

The newish Sage 3 is kind of interesting where it seems like you can feel the direction the carbon fiber is going.

The lock bar is kind of interesting, it doesn't bother me on most knives. My Worker sprint has a similar sized gap, but the lock bar is finished crooked. I'll have to try to get a shot of it.
Ummm...my Dodo seems to be the shiny CF. It is very glossy, and quite slick--like glass or marble. :confused:

So Twill is what the CF on the Sage 1 is called. Thanks for letting me know--"weave" was just what I could come up with. I knew that there must be a better name. :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My Dodo is kind of a semi-polished, matte finish. Definitely not as glossy smooth as some of the Japanese CF models. It's a very nice finish, and I agree with Donut, it has a sort of paper like texture.
:bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, it's definitely smooth, but not the smoothest finish I've seen. That's a good point, Roman, the Caly has a slightly smoother finish than the Dodo as well.

This is definitely NOT easy to photograph how smooth something is. I bet the smooth carbon fiber has some variation from Japan to US to Taiwan.

Walker

Caly 3

Dodo

Lum (Nishijin)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:You can clearly see in this pic I posted a few days ago that all my Natives have gaps at the lockbar...

Did they put the screw that the pivot rotates on backwards on the wooden one?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

None of the issues with this knife are really noteworthy I suppose, but it does make me love Taichung production Spydies that much more. I can never find a flaw, and I'm OCD about these things. :D
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Knifeworks had 6 of these come in at about noon and they only lasted for 45 minutes. The prices jumped to $190 from $179 the last time they were offered on "pre-order". Still a better deal than most places. I was going to post about the availability but forgot my login password at the time.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D