Time for a Giveaway!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Time for a Giveaway!

Post by gbelleh »

Three years ago yesterday (1/20/10), I received my very first Spyderco. It was a Tenacious. I ordered it on a whim with an Amazon gift card, but there was something special about that Tenacious that led to a journey I never could've imagined. Now, 3 years later, I've discovered an entire new hobby, enjoyed dozens of new knives, and had a great time learning from everyone on this forum. I had a great year in 2012, and was the recipient of much generosity from Spyderco, and the members of this forum.

So, I'd like to show my appreciation with a giveaway! Here are the guidelines:

Please only enter this giveaway if you intend to use and enjoy the prize, and if it's legal to own where you live. If you want to reply, but don't want to enter the drawing, just indicate that in your post.

The winner will be chosen by Random.org on 1/28/13.

To enter, please tell us: What was your very first Spyderco? What was your lastest Spyderco? What surprises did you encounter along the way?

My answer is:
First Spyderco: Tenacious. Latest Spyderco: Dyad Jr. (given away by dbcad. Thank you again!) I was surprised how quickly my tastes evolved, and knives that seemed ugly soon became favorites. I was also surprised at first, by the level of integrity shown by Spyderco, and the forum members here. Especially when I finally figured out who "Sal" was!

And the prize is.....

A like-new-in-box Spyderco Stretch - black FRN (C90PBK) :spyder:

Pictures of the actual knife...

Good luck to all! :D
:bug-red-white
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

First Spyderco: Native 3. Latest Spyderco: Manix2 Blue Lightweight. I was surprised that what started as a need would soon turn into a passion.
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Native PE
:spyder: Sage I
:spyder: Pacific Salt
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue
:spyder: Manix2 Blue Lightweight
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Thanks for this nice giveavay!

First Spyderco, endura:

Latest, Southard Flipper:

I was surprised to spend 10 minutes every morning to choose my daily Spyderco! Like a girl with a bag or shoes!
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
grewich

Post by grewich »

First spyderco: manix2
Latest: Captain

I was surprised (and still am at times) at the family atmosphere here on the forums. So much so that the owner and designers will pop up every now and then.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

First Spyderco: Original Manix
Latest Spyderco: Caly 3 in Super-Blue

Discovering that what really sets Spyderco apart from the rest is the way they do business.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for the opportunity.

My first Spyderco: Manix 2
Most Recent: Brad Southard Flipper

The biggest surprise is while I have some more expensive knives, I still come back to Spyderco because of their innovative designs, blade steels, and great fit and finish. The other surprise, as mentioned above, is the atmosphere and amount of knowledge on this forum.
Clip

Post by Clip »

My first was an all-black Manix2.
My latest - the fluted Military.

I'd say one of the best parts of owning these is becoming a member of this great forum. Always learning something new or making friends.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

First Spyderco: Stretch 2 in Green FRN and ZDP-189. Latest: Dragonfly 2 Green FRN and ZDP-189 (notice a pattern? :p ). I was initially surprised by the level of personal involvement by Sal and the SpyderCrew (the letter he provided in the box with my Stretch was a really nice touch, not to mention the forum here), and every day I'm surprised by the attention to detail in these knives, the engineering that goes into them, to make such high-performance cutlery. If I were to win, I would use and thoroughly enjoy the Stretch, try out a new steel (VG-10 is new to me, heh), and perhaps re-gift to spread the spyderlove. Thanks for the chance.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Thanks for the contest!

My first was a SS SE police in the 90's. lost that knife and over the last few years started to collect again. My last purchase was the Superleaf. Great blade! I can't say there's a difference between the 2. They are both my favorites at 2 different times of my life. Both well made.
AlexP

Post by AlexP »

Thanks for giveaway :)
My first Spyderco knife was C36GPE S30V Military, and the latest was CTS-XHP Mule.

I was surpised and really happy to met with a lot of people from knife community, who became my friends.
Atmosphere on this forum is also very nice.
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

My first spyderco was an Ambitious and thats the spydee that bit me and got me hooked.
My last was an orange Paramilitary 2 sprint and im still waiting on it to be shipped :rolleyes:
After my Ambitious i purchased the Persistence, black DLC Tenacious and then stepped it up to a Paramilitary 2 and have bought many more PM2's after.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Very generous PIF. Please do not enter me as I already have an FRN Stretch SE.

My first was a Harpy in the Late 90's. My most recent was a Military.

I am surprised at how much smaller all of my knives seem after the carrying the military for a couple months. It doesn't even seem all that big any more.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for the give-away!

My first spyderco was a Delica4 in grey. Although my collection has grown, the D4 still gets a ton of pocket-time. The biggest surprise along the way is the great irony of spyderco knives: any single knife would probably fill 95% of your cutting needs, but it sparks the desire to acquire more anyway! Another surprise is that some knives don't immediately scream to be carried, and might get passed over for a while, but once you pocket them you realize the unique benefits of that particular design. Most recent spyderco was a gift, the Perrin PPT.
Invective

Post by Invective »

First Spyderco was technically two, I ordered a G10 Jester and a Cat that arrived on the same day. Still carry the Jester a lot (although I've been trying out ZDP Ladybug a lot more now) and my lastest knife was an H1 Dragonfly PE. Finally getting to try out H1 hooray!

Surprises on the way? How easy it was to get my gf into knives as well when she saw my Superhawk I guess. It surprised me a lot because she really only had traditionals at first.

Anyways, thanks for the giveaway and good luck to all who join!
Dankerz

Post by Dankerz »

My first Spyderco was a Waved Delica 4. My latest Spyderco is the Chokwe and I love it! I was surprised to find that my passion for Spyderco's would lead me to give most of mine away as gifts. I have given away 8 knives to my friends and successfully converted 3 women and 5 men into edc knife people.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My first Spydie was a Black Native (S30V) and I knew I was hooked from the first use. Since then I have collected quite a few more and I can happily say I am always looking forward to what Sal and Eric and crew are going to bring out next. My latest knife, the Southard has blown my mind regarding what a beefy yet light-weight 4mm thick knife can be. Thanks for the giveaway and the opportunity for us to share.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Thanks gbelleh!

My First was a Centofante III, probably because it was one of the cheapest in price. It is by no means a cheaply made knife.
My latest is a SB Caly 3. The Caly has turned into my favorite! And Oh Boy can Superblue get sharp easily!

My surprises: The civilized and gentlemanly (apologize to those ladies on the forum, I just don't know what other word to use) manner of everyone on these forums. I've seen more kind words, patience, encouragement, tolerance, and help on these forums than I ever expected. That goes from Spyderco folks all the way to the newest and oldest members. I also think people know they have it good here and its good to see us policing ourselves.

Other surprises: How quickly my accumulation of knives has grown. You really only need just one right? Then why do I have a couple of Spyderpacs full?

Thanks again gbelleh!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
grg

Post by grg »

I don't want too be entered.I have a stretch ,or two.
My first was a G10 Rookie,and my last was a Gray paramilitary. by the way you picked a great knife to give to the winner
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

First, Endura 4. Last, Mini Persian. Image Image

EDIT: And the surprise was the addiction. I started off by thinking, I'm going to get one good knife, and that'll be enough. Then: I need another one as a backup. Then: Something a little more friendly? And something more elegant? And eventually I gave up on excuses. :p
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
JLS

Post by JLS »

My first was a C14SBK Rescue with the integral clip in about 1995. Still have it and it is still very useful. My latest is the CTS-XHP Mule, though a Sprint Calypso is in the mail right now.

My biggest surprise would have to be the wide variety of styles and knives that Spyderco has produced over these 18 years that I've been buying them. The lineup wasn't real big when I started and to see it grow has been amazing. When I look at the Kiwi, Calypso Jr, Khalsa, Karambit, P'Kal, Military, Rock Salt, Swick and Civilian, I'm amazed they've all been brought to us by a single company. Those designs are just examples that I own that show a wide breadth of styles and uses; there are many others that I've never bought that would widen the spectrum even more. Most companies don't have anywhere near that variety and I can't think of any other company that has succeeded on such a wide variety of models.

This is a very generous giveaway and I appreciate your input here on the forum!
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...