Time for a Giveaway!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lambertiana

Post by lambertiana »

I do a lot of lurking here but not much posting, hope I still qualify...

My first Spyderco was a Calypso Jr Lightweight. My most recent is a Bradley Air.

Along the way the biggest surprise is how well thought out the designs are. When I first saw Spyderco knives in catalogs in the early '90s, I just couldn't warm up to the looks. I finally gave in and bought the Calypso Jr, and soon learned that these knives are meant to be used, not looked at.

Another plus is the fact that Sal is a stand-up guy who also regularly participates on the forums. That means a lot to me.
xKaidoh

Post by xKaidoh »

My first was the Tenacious. I had just started getting into knives, and after a bit of research and seeing the respect that Spyderco had garnered, i decided to find the cheapest one i could on ebay and try it out. Needless, that first spydie got me addicted. Now it's two years later, and my collection of spydies has increased to 20 with the most recent purchase being the Chinook III.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Thanks, gbelleh! I hope I am in a position to be able to do giveaways like this soon.

My first :spyder: was a 1st gen Gin-1 Dragonfly SE - I carried that thing everywhere and beat on it hard and it was my only spydie until I bought a Merlin SE in 2002 (the D'fly was still current when I got it)
My most recent I am not 100% sure of but I'm going to go with the Ti/M4 Military because I'm finally forcing myself to use and enjoy it. It is a marvel of engineering and material quality and I love it.
I guess the main thing that has changed since my earlier days is that i have much more appreciation for plan edge blades for regular use (though I like to carry a PE and an SE and have been carrying my byrd Wings SlipIt whenever i just want to carry one knife - it's a very versatile knife).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Gbelleh,
My first Spyderco was a se Delica 1 that was gifted to me almost twenty years ago.
My latest, the Brad Southard.
I'm most surprised by how obsessed I've become over these "holey" little works of engineering.
I'm not surprised by the design and quality improvements over the years.
Thanks for the opportunity and the cool give away!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

First one, Delica with the molded clip (old school) in CE. Latest one, Spyderco Resiliance.
What I learned along the way is less is more.
angusW

Post by angusW »

No entry for me.

Very nice of you gbelleh to do this giveaway.

My first was also a Tenacious and my last one was the Calypso Sprint. My surprise is, I'm surprised I enjoy collecting and using all of these knives.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Very nice gesture of you Gbelleh. Please do not include me in the GAW as I own a Stretch.

First was a orange ladybug. I could remember how sharp it was. My last was a Leafstorm. My biggest surprise might be how my feelings changed toward a company who produced "ugly knives" into the collection I have today.

Good luck to winner!
Come Join Us Click Here
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

How generous of you...

My first was an Original Meerkat, soon followed by a Caly Jr. that still rides and last purchase... A tenacious!!!

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Wow, very generous of you gbelleh! 2012 was pretty good for me too -- although I've just as of this month decided to start being a part of forums ;)

As for your questions:

My first Spydie was also a Tenacious. A black coated, black handled Tenacious that cut miles of cardboard, plastic wrap, zip-ties and who knows what else while furnishing office buildings (back before I had a clue how to sharpen a knife, too. Restoring that edge was a bit of a chore!) It served me well and seemed to do a stellar job at infection!

My latest acquisition has been the recently discontinued Chokwe. My first Taichung model, and boy it's sweet. Had to loctite my pivot screw, but since then it's been a joy to behold.

And well, many things have surprised me along this trip. I guess one thing would be that I've been so nearly exclusively Spyderco so far in my collecting. I ought to branch out soon, but the variety, aesthetics, company philosophy and personality just can't be matched. I've also been surprised how quickly it got out of hand... ~$35 Tenacious led to the ~$70 Manix 2 LW, and while a year ago I scoffed at the seemingly ridiculous price of say, a Sebenza or a Southard... now, not so much!

Thank you for the opportunity to get a Stretch, gbelleh -- it's certainly something I've wanted to pick up soon.
eschwebach

Post by eschwebach »

First: Tenacious
Latest: Delica 4 ZDP-189

I think the biggest surprise for me is how my tastes have changed from large tactical type folders to smaller folders that are easier for me to EDC. I also enjoy the knife community as a whole, there are some great people here.
:spyder: -Erik
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

I just got my first spydie this month: a serrated stainless steel cricket! I'm loving it so far and looking forward to getting more (winning this draw would be a nice start haha)
As for surprises...the desire to own more spydies, but I've been lurking for a while and I know that no one just owns one haha
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Great giveaway gbelleh!

My first Spyderco was a Walker ZDP-189 and the last one is an Endura on the way.
I was very surprised that those knives looked hideous as long as I didn`t handle one but now all of those I don`t own look tempting. I had to feel the design and ergonomic shape of those knives to appreciate Spyderco`s focus on functionality.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Hi gbelleh,
Very cool of you to do a giveaway.
My first Spyderco was a Sage 1, I wanted an EDC i could take everywhere and to me this is perfect.
My latest is a Left handed Military, I wanted an EDC i could take everywhere and to me this is perfect, jk, I'll be using it for outside duties at home.
I am surprised by how bought my Sage to get this super steel S30V at a relative bargain price, but appreciate it for so many other reasons. Ergonomics, weight, blade shape, quality fit and finish.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Thank you for the generous giveaway!

My first: cricket
My latest: caly3/endura

the biggest surprise to me is how knives shrink. I used to think that the biggest knife i can carry and not scare the sheeple was the cricket. Over time I ended up acquiring several knives and now feel the delica and caly is smallish and find the endura the ideal edc size. Funny how that works.

Thanks again!
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
Slash

Post by Slash »

Sprint run blue Delica with solid zdp steel
Stealth Chap
I've learned I like using things that have holes. ;)
JoePepper

Post by JoePepper »

Thanks, gebelleh! My first Spyderco was a Delica G-10.M last was an organge PM2.I've had alot of knives over the years but what surprised me was the quality of Spyderco knives.The people at Spyderco and the people on this forum are the best but thats no surprise. Thanks again, Joe
Rule#9:Never go anywhere without a Spyderco
Delica4 G-10, Delica4 BRG ZDP189, Delica4 Blue ZDP189,Delica4 SuperBlue,Delica4 Black VG-10,Stretch VG-10,Stretch Blue ZDP189,Manix2 CTS-XHP,Manix2 M4,Black Paramilitary2 S30V,Gray Paramilitary2 CTS20CP,Blue Paramilitary2 M390,Orange Paramilitary2CTS-XHP,Black Dragonfly2,Orange Dragonfly2 , Dragonfly2 G-10,Gayle Bradley M4, Superhawk VG-10,Native III VG-10,Sage I,Yellow Tasman Salt,Centofante 4
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

*** CONTEST IS ENDING 1/28 ***

Thank you all for the replies. It's been interesting to read the varied responses.

Just a heads up, this contest will officially end tomorrow (1/28) at 12:00 noon, Golden, CO local time (US Mountain Time). The drawing will be held shortly after, and the winner announced in the afternoon.

Good luck again! :D :spyder:
:bug-red-white
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

Fingers crossed! ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

What a great idea, gbelleh! I thank you sir, for your generosity. :)

My first Spyderco: Calypso Jr. SE FRN (The One Knife that started it all! ;) )
Latest Spyderco purchase: Dragonfly Salt PE

Most "surprising thing along the way" actually happened this past summer. In Aug. '12, I learned that my picture had been selected (along with 12 other contestents) for the 2013 Spyderco Catalog. What an awesome and humbling experience! I have always been amazed at the personal friendliness and generosity of Spyderco and its Crew. Can't wait for the 2014 contest!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Thanks for the generous give away!

My first Spyderco was the Tasman salt. I opted for the yellow handled Spyder edge variant. It is still one of my most used knives, especially in the summer. I love the H1 steel!

My latest Spyderco is an original black Dodo. The plain edge variant. I love the design of the dodo.

Thanks again :)
Vic