Time for a Giveaway!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

What was your very first Spyderco? My first Spyderco was a Spin given to me by my dad for Christmas 2010

What was your lastest Spyderco? My last Spyderco was a CTS-XHP mule team but that will only last a couple more weeks I am sure as there are a lot on my list to pick up.

What surprises did you encounter along the way? I started off only wanting to pick up smaller knives as I don't collect. I use all my knives and I found smaller knives to be better suited to EDC work. Well as I started going down the Spyderco path I tried out putting a couple other models in my pocket at the Spyderco Factory Outlet and realized their bigger knives carried extremely well in the pocket. The ParaMilitary2, Gayle Bradley and Stretch all carry very small in the pocket for their size. Carrying a Spyderco in my pocket is a way of life for me now and I feel naked when I don't have one in my pocket.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Tank

Post by Tank »

My first spyderco was an Economy and my last a Caly 3.5. The first suprise i got regarding Spyderco was how great their customer service and the fact that Sal and the gang are active members of this forum. Dont see that very often.

Thanks for the contest as wel.
-John
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Excellent Idea and a very generous giveaway!

My first was the Paramilitary in CPMD2 and still holds a special spot in the collection. It is the only modern folder I cannot or will not let go.

My latest is the earth brown P2. It's a great knife, somewhat limited but I am not afraid to use this puppy! I have a Southard heading my way before this ends so that will be the latest..

I have had 20+ Spydies and they have all been excellent knives. The one thing I have learned though that no matter how strong you think a magnet might be, it's a novelty. :D
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

First was a Native lightweight, bought around '05 or so. Back then I knew nothing about steel, grinds, sharpening, nothing. I grew up using knives but never spent any time learning any of that stuff. I happened upon the Wal-mart Native and was blown away by the ergonomics and design. I ended up returning that one and buying this SE version shortly after.

My latest knife is a DLC Manix 2, that was recently modified with skeletonized liners.

Surprises along the way...well, my taste is constantly evolving. I'm constantly learning something new which usually comes in the form of contradicting something that I thought I was so dead set on, such as what steel I prefer or what ergonomics best suit by user tastes. The Manix 2 for example was a knife that I had years ago and swore off as a knife that wasn't for me, only to have it kick out all the other knives in my collection. If I could pass along anything I've learned, it would be to stay open minded and don't limit yourself to things that you think are "your taste" because if you've never tried it, how can you know if it's for you or not?

Thanks for the chance to win an awesome knife and kudos for offering this giveaway :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

First: Para2 20CP
Latest: South Fork
Surprise: The Military seemed like a huge knife when I first got one, now is just the right size...

Thanks Gbelleh for the generous giveaway.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Pinetreebbs

Thanks gbelleh

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My first Spyderco was a green G-10 Delica, functional industrial art, my latest was a Spyderco Southard. I have learned that Sal, Eric, Ed Schempp, Michael Janich and other Spyderco family members are even nicer than described here and that Spyderco company ethics and 'personality' are absolutely outstanding.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

My first was a SS Dragonfly and my latest is a Tuff.
The surprises along the way are learning what a great company Spyderco is and the way that they respond to their customers. It's great the way they stay on the :spyder: cutting edge :spyder: of the industry. HEHE
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

First knee was the ambitious, last was the frcp manix :D thanks for the generous giveawa gbelleh!

Surprises? THE PERFORMANCE AND EDGE HOLDING compared to knives with lesser steel like vuctorinox saks. Also surprised by the hole in my wallet Hehe.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

What was your very first Spyderco?

My first Spyderco was the Manix2.

What was your latest Spyderco?

My latest Spyderco was the Mule Team 16!

What surprises did you encounter along the way?

I have a full range of sizes from Spyderco. From the Ladybug to the Schempp Rock. Using all those knives for many of the same tasks, I was way surprised to discover how versatile each and every Spyderco I owned was always up for the challenge.

Thanks for your generosity!
-GT
Comeuppance

Post by Comeuppance »

My first Spyderco was a Manix2 XL, and I most recently bought a Black Blade Tenacious (still waiting for it to arrive)... I started years ago with trash knives, knowing basically nothing about them and scoffing at the idea of spending more than 20 bucks on a knife. Then, little issues started popping up - poor construction, bad edge retention, uncomfortable or poorly-designed handles, lock failure... It came to a head when I learned an acquaintance had lost his pinky finger due to lock failure on a cheap knife.

So I did some research.
A lot of research.
After watching 40+ hours of youtube video reviews, reading novels worth of forum posts, and learning really quite a bit about blade steels / grinds / sharpening, I ultimately bought something entirely outside of my price range and immediately felt buyer's remorse before it had even shipped. I dropped 92 bucks on my MegaManix - more than twice what I'd ever paid for a knife. When it arrived, I opened it as sort of a whim to see what I was surely about to return.

But, ****, what a nice knife. Stupid sharp, comfortable, solid, huge functionally curved blade... I couldn't bring myself to return it. I ate eggs for a couple weeks. Worth it.
Retail warrior and hand-sharpener with a perpetually shaved left arm.
My modest collection: Digicam Black PM2, Endura4 Wave, Manix2 XL, Black Tenacious
spydercojoe

Post by spydercojoe »

First Spyderco, a stainless hunter, that I returned, what a mistake. My last , a 1007 aluminum RSA Police,, what a great decision. ( there are at least 60 Spyderco's in the middle ). My biggest surprise... Making wonderfull friends of the entire Spyderco family. Thanks for your contest, Joe Maddox

Post by 1623 »

Very nice giveaway, thanks for the opportunity.

I ordered my first high end knife on May 24, 2011...a Paramilitary 2 and have since become enamored with both Spyderco's unique designs and collaborations, as well as their impressive business practices.

My latest interest and addition to the collection is the Zulu.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Jimbro

Post by Jimbro »

First Spyderco?: Meerkat (which is still my daily carry)

Latest Spyderco?: Paramilitary 2

Biggest surprise?: My increasing admiration for the brand. Years ago I was turned off by the appearance of "those funny looking knives with the weird hole". Now I wonder why I was so late to the party!

Thanks for running the contest, great idea.

Jim
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks Gbelleh for the generous giveaway :eek: :D
First Spyderco was a SS Mariner SE.....what a great knife.....Latest Knife was a Lady Bug Rescue SE....Biggest surprise: what have I learned..well 400+ spydercos later....what is good always comes back around...but sometimes in a smaller lighter package.....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Paull874

Post by Paull874 »

First: Delica 4 FFG VG-10 Orange
Latest: Paramilitary 2 Earth Brown S35vn
Biggest Surprise: How one can become so attached to his knives. I can never be without one of my Spyderco's. It just feels unnatural!
Thanks for the chance to win!
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

First Spyderco: Endura 4 w/ Green FRN (love this knife).

Latest Received is the Spyderco Techno

Suprise includes the rate where I thought an Endura was expensive and hesitated to buy it and now am purchasing more expensive folders like the superblue caly 3 etc and not flinching.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

My first was a Manix 2. My last was the Bradley Air.

Along the way there have been many suprises including some preferences and favorite knives like The Techno.

Wicked contest, very cool of you. Thanks!
On the hunt for...
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

First: Delica 4 blue FFG. The wife convinced me to give the knife to her so I could replace it with anything I wanted which lead to a Endura 4 gray FFG.
Latest: Manix 2 Lightweight translucent blue. Without a doubt one of my favorite knives. Would like to see it in ZDP-189 or VG-10.
Biggest surprise is that my wife actually let me buy all these knives that I had to have.
CAD

Post by CAD »

First was a Delica 3
Last was a Delica 4 FFG

How much I enjoy FRN and VG-10

Thanks!!
Chris D. :D
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think my first was the Tenacious too - it's a great knife to get a feel for if you like Spyderco, and most people find they do! :D The latest would be the Spyderco Stretch - it's a really lovely knife in a small package. I went pretty fast from "Do I like Spyderco?" to "Wow, which one can I get next?!" :D

Many thanks for the competition! :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)