A few prototype videos from SHOT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

In all this (understandable) Domino raving, no one has mentioned the blue G10 Lava listed on BHQs site. Did anyone actually see one at SHOT? Is it without fasteners like the stainless one? Is it smurf blue or something new? Highly interested in snagging one of these, as I missed out on them the first time, and the design looks awesome. Anyone have any info?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

tvenuto wrote:In all this (understandable) Domino raving, no one has mentioned the blue G10 Lava listed on BHQs site. Did anyone actually see one at SHOT? Is it without fasteners like the stainless one? Is it smurf blue or something new? Highly interested in snagging one of these, as I missed out on them the first time, and the design looks awesome. Anyone have any info?
I saw the blue G10 lava; it wasn't among the knives Spyderco wanted to show on camera at that moment. Pretty much your regular Lava but with a light blue G10 handle.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The Deacon wrote:In the video Sithus1966 linked to, what the heck is that thing over on the left side of the case with a fairly large handle with three finger grooves and a really short, almost triangular, blade?
Paul,

The blade you're asking about in that video looks like an oyster shucking knife. Michael Janich mentions he is Spyderco's special projects coordinator and this is certainly be a special application for a "knife."
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That knife is the Pygmy Warrior. Toward the end, you can see the blade on the opposite end.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Chris_H wrote:Paul,

The blade you're asking about in that video looks like an oyster shucking knife. Michael Janich mentions he is Spyderco's special projects coordinator and this is certainly be a special application for a "knife."
I think Sithus had the correct answer, Chris. It wasn't a blade I was seeing, it was the exposed skull crusher pommel end of a Warrior's handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

Mr Blonde wrote:I saw the blue G10 lava; it wasn't among the knives Spyderco wanted to show on camera at that moment. Pretty much your regular Lava but with a light blue G10 handle.
Just think Lava with the Sage Bolt Action Handle scales. It was pretty slick.

Their was also a knife that resembled a Swick folder. It had a flipper action, the flipper was a finger hole & when the knife is open the finger hole is just below the blade.

Hard to explain but that was my favorite prototype alongside the Karahawk.
Niles

Post by Niles »

That swick flipper (swipper? slipper? flick?), sounds awesome!
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The Deacon wrote:I think Sithus had the correct answer, Chris. It wasn't a blade I was seeing, it was the exposed skull crusher pommel end of a Warrior's handle.
Ah, now I see it. It looks like the sheath just to the left of this handle might be a Pygmy Warrior blade shape too (though hard to see clearly through the reflecting glass counter tops).
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

DemskeetSkeet wrote:There was also a knife that resembled a Swick folder. It had a flipper action, the flipper was a finger hole & when the knife is open the finger hole is just below the blade.
Hard to explain but that was my favorite prototype alongside the Karahawk.
Thanks! I worked a long time figuring that all out. It was not an obvious set of conclusions. I still have not figured out what I consider to be a good name for it.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Deacon wrote:In the video Sithus1966 linked to, what the heck is that thing over on the left side of the case with a fairly large handle with three finger grooves and a really short, almost triangular, blade?
Deacon, for a minute there, I got excited about a possible new Spyderco Oyster Knife - thinking that it might be part of the upcoming kitchen line. Sometimes I think I have an addiction...

TedP
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:....Sometimes I think I have an addiction...

TedP
Sometimes.... Really SOMETIMES? :D We both know that the addiction is rampant he throughout the forum. My screen name is xceptnl and I am an addict!
I just did a quick balancing of the checkbook for this month and I realized I had spent enough on Spydies (discontinued) this month that I could have paid retail for a Southard. It hurt until I pulled out a discontinued model and fondled it for a second. I feel better now. Hope I can curb spending for a while to afford some superblue.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Sithus1966 wrote:Found this on YouTube. In the case in the background you can see a Whale Rescue blade mounted in a handle.
http://youtu.be/c5WK7fskjDs
Any news yet whether or not this will be released with the handle?
SgtSmoke

Post by SgtSmoke »

The Karahawk, Waved Matriarch, and the Khalsa Sprint run are must haves. The Goddard is a maybe. Any word on release dates. I'm still patiently waiting on the Pygmy Warrior.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

tvenuto wrote:In all this (understandable) Domino raving, no one has mentioned the blue G10 Lava listed on BHQs site. Did anyone actually see one at SHOT? Is it without fasteners like the stainless one? Is it smurf blue or something new? Highly interested in snagging one of these, as I missed out on them the first time, and the design looks awesome. Anyone have any info?
Aloha tvenuto,

Thanks for the kind words! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
GunnerSki

Post by GunnerSki »

Karahawk=WANT!
Endura 4 CE, Delica 4 PE, Endura Trainer, Delica Trainer, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Native Lightweight SE, Bob T, Ambitious, UKPK Maroon, Squeak, Kiwi Stag, Grasshopper, Matriarch2, Manix2 Black Blade, Native5, Pacific Salt, Street Bowie, ATR, Swick, Cricket SE, Manbug, Caly Jr. SE, Caly 3.5,

Wishlist: