A few prototype videos from SHOT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Mahmer09 wrote:Being new here, how long until an in store version? Assuming it will get made.
#nopatience
Spyderco really doesn't set dates....they used to try but so many times projects got pushed back or re-tweaked so it wouldn't make it on time. But Eric said sometime this year so that's about all we can go by and hope for the soonest lol
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I fully expect the Domino to go on pre order all over the place and the first run to sell out instantly before they're even shipped to vendors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

Evil D wrote:I fully expect the Domino to go on pre order all over the place and the first run to sell out instantly before they're even shipped to vendors.
Again, I realize this is speculation, but when do you expect that to be? I want one!!
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I don't mean to derail but I figured SHOT facts could be centralized here since everyone seems to be checking this thread.

Therefore, did anyone see Spyderco's Facebook page announce Super Blue Sprints of the many Seki models? Sorry if this is old news.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

DOMINO!!!!!!!! Grand Slam!! A must have!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

GTPowers wrote:I don't mean to derail but I figured SHOT facts could be centralized here since everyone seems to be checking this thread.

Therefore, did anyone see Spyderco's Facebook page announce Super Blue Sprints of the many Seki models? Sorry if this is old news.
I saw the post too. Most are old news (Endura, Delica, Stretch), but I didn't recall hearing about the SB Ladybug before. Sounds like it'll be a super blue year!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm really curious to see if/what changes will be made from what we have seen compared to the finished product. How rough are prototypes?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm really curious to see if/what changes will be made from what we have seen compared to the finished product. How rough are prototypes?
These are production prototypes so the aim is to produce them exactly as they appear now. You can expect some overall refinements, better f&f and more bevelled corners. Still, unforeseen things can happen in production, which may cause the need for e.g. different handle material or clip design. Concept models are usually a little rougher in the f&f department or just the original custom from the custom maker. Those models still need to go through the production prototyping phase. You can compare shots I took of earlier production protos and their finished production counterparts.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JT

Post by JT »

Thanks Wouter for the videos! good stuff as always!
One Karahawk, no, make that two... and one or severeal equilibriums for me, can't wait!
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Just noticed Howe put up some new knives:

Not surprised by:

Khalsa Sprint
Karahawk

But very suprised by:

Endura Orange jigged Bone
Delica Superblue Gray (hope its G10 but price makes me think it will be FRN)
Military GRAY G-10 CRUWARE :eek:
Native 5 CF (Please let it be with S90V) :eek:

And i thought it would be a slower year then 2012
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Woehoe also the Lava Blue G10, Lum Tanto and Friction folder is coming. Curious to see what comes next :)

jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Evil D wrote:I fully expect the Domino to go on pre order all over the place and the first run to sell out instantly before they're even shipped to vendors.
I expect you're right on that one. I think I will be checking constantly for it.
Mahmer09 wrote:Again, I realize this is speculation, but when do you expect that to be? I want one!!
No real way to tell at this point. As you mentioned, it would all be speculation at this point.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sometimes Spyderco just surprises us with a really fast release (like the Calypso sprint), sometimes it takes years (Tuff), but usually I see all the new models arriving at the market within the same year of its first announcement as a production proto.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Native 5 CF has already been confirmed with S110V hopefully that will work in place of your S90V :D
IG-88 wrote:Just noticed Howe put up some new knives:

Not surprised by:

Khalsa Sprint
Karahawk

But very suprised by:

Endura Orange jigged Bone
Delica Superblue Gray (hope its G10 but price makes me think it will be FRN)
Military GRAY G-10 CRUWARE :eek:
Native 5 CF (Please let it be with S90V) :eek:

And i thought it would be a slower year then 2012
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Native 5 CF has already been confirmed with S110V hopefully that will work in place of your S90V :D
I hope so :D Sweet, now you mention it I forgot about that, thx for the reminder!!

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mahmer09 wrote:Again, I realize this is speculation, but when do you expect that to be? I want one!!
Only Sal and Eric and the "in crowd" can say. I have a feeling that knife is going to destroy every EDC I own. I'm still not crazy about that scale though...I'd just assume it was black G10 personally.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is it just me or does the blade stock on the Domino look super thin? Like ~2mm thin?
~David
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Evil D wrote:Is it just me or does the blade stock on the Domino look super thin? Like ~2mm thin?
Thats the impression I had too, thats why I want to see more specs and pics. I would like to know how comfortable such a thin flipper is when deploying it. In the end I'll certainly get one :)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

IG-88 wrote:Thats the impression I had too, thats why I want to see more specs and pics. I would like to know how comfortable such a thin flipper is when deploying it. In the end I'll certainly get one :)

I have a love/hate relationship with thin blades. I love how they slice, but hate the looks, and hate the thin thumb ramp. A nice 4mm blade makes for a nice wide comfortable thumb ramp, and IMO just looks sexier, especially around the thumb hole. Thin blades just feel kind of cheap to me for some reason, though I won't argue their superior slicing ability. The FFG Manix 2 seems to be a good compromise at 3mm, but I'd still prefer a 4mm high FFG blade.
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:I have a love/hate relationship with thin blades.
Not me. I LOVE super thin blades. I do like and own thicker blades for tougher tasks but my EDC chores don't need that.

I'm really wanting a super thin 3" super hard carbon steel slicer. Think Opinel but with a much higher end steel. Definitely sub 2mm. Super blue would be fine. M4 would rock or... ;)

Is 2mm the thinnest mid sized Spydie? Chap?

Ken
玉鋼