A few prototype videos from SHOT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hissatsu5

Post by Hissatsu5 »

How much is the Karahawk going to msrp for?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Thanks, Wouter! I hope you feel better ASAP!

That Goddard looks very nice, and pretty affordable esp. for a sprint. The Khalsa looks great but I don't know if I'll get one. That matriarch is absolutely awesome. I definitely want one of those.. I have long intended to mod a :spyder: hawkbill for wave-type opening but might skip that as the Matriarch is pretty much a perfect fit esp. for SD.

BTW, jtoler_9, tip-up is standard for pocket carry, but for certain sheath options for neck, MOLLE/ALICE mount, crossdraw under-jacket or similar sheaths, etc the option could be quite useful thoughone is probably going clipless. also, a quick draw, tip-down, and dragging the wave along a belt line, etc will catch and open the knife for people who just like tip-down. with a little practice, the draw and opening is still pretty quick and is good for knife retention since you can have a 5-finger grip on that handle while waving it open.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I keep watching the Domino video, if they can offer it for a decent price I really feel this could be the next PM2 in terms of popularity.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Oh god I need at least 2 Karahawks. Been looking for a nice karambit and most of the folders are not what I would prefer. Glad to see the wave on it as that is one thing i thought the original lacked. I would like at least 2 perhaps with trainers if they are made though I can easily train with something that doesn't fold, maybe something carved from wood, or perhaps there is a Nok that fits.

Edited to note I have now watched the domino vid and it looks beautiful, and that flipper action looks slick! I hope I can save some money up because there are some great knives coming out!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Thanks for the great videos Wouter! Do you recall the blade steel and country of origin for the Karahawk?
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

That domino has soooo much potential! I have to leave the country for a few months but when I get back that Karahawk has to be mine!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Domino is where it's at! I would guess $299 MSRP +/-. Sounds good enough for me!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I look forward to this thread every year...you're the man Wouter!

Second, that Domino....my goodness. Leave it to Spyderco to finally create a flipper that has a 50/50 choil and doesn't leave your index finger an inch away from the blade. That thing is on my wish list for sure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thank you for your videos Wouter; enjoy your trip and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I'm really intetesed in the pricing on the Domino. I will probably get one regardless but I would like to know what I'm in for.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can I get a Domino with a matching Ti scale on the left side? Or even a fluted G10 scale like the Lionspy!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

gbelleh wrote:Domino looks cool! Is the texture of the scale more like the Taiwanese CF? Or more smooth? So far, I like the pattern much better than Nishijin. Hopefully it has some texture to it too.
It did have some texture, but it was still pretty smooth.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

xceptnl wrote:The Domino is where it's at! I would guess $299 MSRP +/-. Sounds good enough for me!
MSRP of $300 means street price about $150-175, no? I think this would still be mostly a collector's knife at this point. I think the potential for this knife is to further popularize Spyderco among knife users who would've normally stuck with ZT, BM, or even Kershaw knives. But that would mean a lower price point, maybe not for this run.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype Video – Equilibrium (& Balance)

Post by Mr Blonde »

For my last SHOT show video, Ed Schempp was kind enough to sit down with me and my camera to explain the origins of the Balance design, which in turn inspired the upcoming Equilibrium folder. These are very refined little big knives. I can highly recommend them. The customized Balance Ed shows at the start of this video, features a scale made from Warren Thomas stainless raindrop pattern damascus. Ed made the scale from this material.

[video=youtube_share;pOeq9Yp_qjg]http://youtu.be/pOeq9Yp_qjg[/video]
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Wow! Great pics Wouter! I hope you feel better. That flu, is a mean customer! That spydie karambit, shook my moral consciousness! I am with defenestrate, a pair of those at least....good stuff. Hope everyone has been well. Take care all and God Bless.......stonyman.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Karahawk is the spyderco I've been waiting for. Still waiting for haha. Just bought a p'kal yesterday. It will have to tide me over for now! I really appreciate you posting this stuff. I'm new to all of this and have been combing the web for shot videos.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Great vids Wouter - many thanks! :)

Loving the Balance/Equilibrium ... why can't we have some more of that rain-drop damascus as a scale material!? ;)

Best so far for me is the Domino but can a smooth-opening flipper be made non-locking? I know it has some engineering challenges but I'm sure Eric can work it out ... there's be a heck of a lot of people over here who would buy a flipper EDC-able non-locking knife :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

That Domino is a wow for me. I was initially ho-hum for 2013, but i am now excited for a purchase this year :D

Thanks,
JD
Comeuppance

Post by Comeuppance »

JudasD wrote:That Domino is a wow for me. I was initially ho-hum for 2013, but i am now excited for a purchase this year :D

Thanks,
JD
Right? Between that and the vague "Paramilitary fans: start saving" comment have me pretty hopeful. I'm glad I'm up for a promotion, because I'll be wanting some extra cash this year.
Retail warrior and hand-sharpener with a perpetually shaved left arm.
My modest collection: Digicam Black PM2, Endura4 Wave, Manix2 XL, Black Tenacious
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Domino prototype was one of my favorites. The flipper-action was really smooth and the opening hole was better to use than on the Southard for example. The profile reminds me of the Manix; it is about the same size and has the same great ergonomics. This one is definitely on my wishlist. Note that the handle material is a glass woven laminate over G-10, not carbon fiber. Eric mentions the clip being right-hand only, but you can see that the handle seems to be drilled for a 4-way clip. I’ll check it out further at the upcoming Amsterdam Meet.

[video=youtube_share;shqTNZIp69M]http://youtu.be/shqTNZIp69M[/video]
Being new here, how long until an in store version? Assuming it will get made.
#nopatience