UKPK stronger spring

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

UKPK stronger spring

Post by elena86 »

I wish to purchase a UKPK lightweight drop point.I wanted one for sometime but a friend told me they lock too easy.I know spyder crew tried to fix this problem.Do they sale UKPK-s with stronger springs these days ? :confused:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco replaced the original spring in the FRN UKPK with a stronger "forked" spring quite a while ago. However, there's no way to guarantee how long a given dealer has had a knife in their shop, unless you call them and they are willing to check date codes.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco replaced the original spring in the FRN UKPK with a stronger "forked" spring quite a while ago. However, there's no way to guarantee how long a given dealer has had a knife in their shop, unless you call them and they are willing to check date codes.
Thanks. Do you know when did they start this process ? Aprox.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I was one who whined regularly about the weak springs in the original UKPK lightweights. I was finally able to obtain the revised version. It's definitely an improvement and fully adequate (thanks, Sal). A dealer doesn't have to check the dates. All he/she must do is open the box and look at the pivot end of the spring. The new split spring is clearly visible.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Based on what Sal said in this thread, I'd say anything with a date code DL thru LL would have the stronger spring, as would AM and any others with M as the second letter as this year goes on.
buckthorn wrote:I was one who whined regularly about the weak springs in the original UKPK lightweights. I was finally able to obtain the revised version. It's definitely an improvement and fully adequate (thanks, Sal). A dealer doesn't have to check the dates. All he/she must do is open the box and look at the pivot end of the spring. The new split spring is clearly visible.
Assuming they know what to look for and are willing to unbox the knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

elena86 wrote:Thanks. Do you know when did they start this process ? Aprox.
I had done some research on this a while back.

The first "in the wild" UKPK I saw with a stronger spring came with a date code of March 2012 or CL. I would say anything from after that date would be a stronger spring.

The UKPK I got with a stronger spring did not have a date code on the box's label.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

I think the new 2013 FRN UKPN's have a full flat grind and maybe only in black FRN. So look for that if you prefer FFG. If you want colors and hollow grind it might be hard to get the newer spring.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Does anyone know how a dealer can order a FRN UKPK (drop point) with the full flat grind. The product number, C94BK3, seems the same as for the saber grind used through 2012? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Buckthorn where abouts in the world are you I know of a stockist that can order one but if your outside of the eu its not worth it.
pezie

Post by pezie »

I had been afraid that I might find the lock up of the FRN UKPK too weak after reading that the FRN models had a weaker spring than the G10 models. I didn't know that the more recent FRN models also have a stronger spring. Anyway, now that I've received my new for 2013 FRN FFG UKPK (together with a Manix 2 Lightweight—they're my first :spyder: s) I can report that I find the spring to be perfectly adequate for a slip joint knife of this size. I most certainly wouldn't want it any weaker, but it really is strong enough to give me the feeling that the knife won't close on me as long as I use it within the limits of a slip joint knife. It locks up solidly with a well defined click and has no bladeplay.

BTW, I ordered from the UK.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

pezie wrote:I had been afraid that I might find the lock up of the FRN UKPK too weak after reading that the FRN models had a weaker spring than the G10 models. I didn't know that the more recent FRN models also have a stronger spring. Anyway, now that I've received my new for 2013 FRN FFG UKPK (together with a Manix 2 Lightweight—they're my first :spyder: s) I can report that I find the spring to be perfectly adequate for a slip joint knife of this size. I most certainly wouldn't want it any weaker, but it really is strong enough to give me the feeling that the knife won't close on me as long as I use it within the limits of a slip joint knife. It locks up solidly with a well defined click and has no bladeplay until you overcome the spring.

BTW, I ordered from the UK.
It's the new FFG model in BD1 or hollow grind model ?
pezie

Post by pezie »

New FFG model.

[ATTACH]21429[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSC00991.jpg
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Thanks to all for the info. Bladekeeper: I'm in New York State in the US. Now that I know the FFG is available I'll ask my local dealer to order one.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That looks awesome.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For those curious about this new spring, this is what the forked spring should look like. The prototype was shown at the 2011 Amsterdam Meet.

Looking at the pivot end of the closed knife, you can clearly see the spring seems to be made up of two parts.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I've just received my full-flat UKPK Lightweight in black and can confirm that the back-spring holds the knife open *much* stronger than in both the old FRNs and the G10/CF. It really takes a hard push to close but the opening is still as smooth as, say, the CF or G10. I really love the polish on the blade and the full-flat grind ... this looks like it might be getting a *lot* of pocket time :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
GronK

Post by GronK »

Thanks for the pic, Mr. Blonde. I bought two during the recent close out of the saber ground frn's, one grey plain edge and one blue SE. The blue is much more secure and I now see it's the split spring while the grey is not.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I was a persistent complainer regarding the relatively weak spring on the early lightweight UKPKs. When I finally received a split spring version I was quite satisfied. Yesterday, however, when I handled my new FFG version for the first time I was (pleasantly) shocked when I encountered its very substantial resistance to closing, so much so that I initially thought something was stuck. It's great and as resistant to closing as just about any slipjoint I've ever owned. CQI in action once again. Thanks Sal!