Can I convert the Dragonfly 2 to a slipjoint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Moroland

Can I convert the Dragonfly 2 to a slipjoint?

Post by Moroland »

I have a DF2 that I really love. I have 2 actually. I also have a Pingo. I like the slipjoint action on the Pingo. Can I round off the detent in the lockback on the Dragonfly to make it function as a slipjoint?

I know a lot of you folks are asking why. I just want to know if it can be done and in all fairness, I really don't need a locking blade for my EDC. I'm not afraid that the knife will close on my hand as there is the 50/50 choil there. Just like the Pingo. I actually prefer the DF ergos and one hand opening. I could get the UKPK I guess, but then it's more moolah that I can save for something else :)

I know it will void the warranty, but if it makes my EDC smoother, why not? That's the chance I will take :)
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

You could but i imagine the blade wouldn't snap into place as tight as a slip joint and would probably have a bit of up and down blade play.
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

Ah ok. I see your point. Maybe I'll skip it and ask for a UKPK for my upcoming bday :)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Moroland wrote:Ah ok. I see your point. Maybe I'll skip it and ask for a UKPK for my upcoming bday :)
Aloha and welcome Moroland,

Now you're talking. Yeah, I tried playing "FrankenKnife" (I hope to God that's no one's forum name here!:rolleyes :) doing mods and such, but to try to accomplish what you wanted to with the D'Fly....ehhhh, I say pass on that idea and just hand on for the UKPK.

The D'Fly is just too good a lil' knife...

Take care :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

Salamat Daywalker! Love your designs. I have a few of yours! I use the Keycom on a daily basis :)

Planning a trip to the Aloha State in April!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Moroland wrote:Salamat Daywalker! Love your designs. I have a few of yours! I use the Keycom on a daily basis :)

Planning a trip to the Aloha State in April!
Salamat! Thanks for your kind words. No disrespect intended here, but try an XS if you're looking into a slippy...Ahhh, the KeyCom...underestimated for sure...enjoy and be safe. Keep your trip focused on Oahu or Maui...

Be safe!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Moroland, I would suggest you look at the Urban slipit which is much closer in size and profile to the DF than the UKPK is. I see some pop up in the secondary market but there is at least one retailer I know of that has some stock.
Recent :spyder: Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

@ Brisket Thanks! I never thought of that one. I like the Wharncliffe version :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Moroland wrote:@ Brisket Thanks! I never thought of that one. I like the Wharncliffe version :)
Sign up for Sierra Trading Post's emails. They send out 30-40% off coupon codes all the time. That puts the Wharncliffe Urban in the $50-55 range.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

Like you said, I know of a few of the BB members who have successfully done this mod. I have almost asked one of the more skilled members a couple of times to do one for me as I would love slip joint in H1 but keep hoping Spyderco will make one sooner or later.
As for the Urban I love this knife in both forms and highly recommend it. I have three, one of each and a spare leaf blade waiting to be pimped.
Even my girlfriend EDCs one! :-)
The Urban and the Ti UKPK are always fighting for the 'most carried' trophy. I love both of these knives but do prefer the look of the butt on the Urban, less rounded than the UKPK. A Ti Urban with a Damascus blade is pretty much the dream knife for me, with that nice thumb groove from the Sage 2 please, (sigh).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm sure it could be done by someone with the necessary talent and knife building knowledge. I'm equally sure someone lacking those qualities would turn a perfectly good knife into junk. It may be harsh, but I tend to assume anyone possessing the skill set wouldn't be asking the question, they'd be showing off the finished mod, and that anyone asking the question would have a low probability of success if the attempted to do it themselves. The cost of having it done by a custom knifemaker would probably exceed the cost of an Urban and definitely exceed that of a Squeak.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

Yes you can convert it to a SJ. You have to angle the notch in the blade where the lobkbar goes to a fairly shallow angle.
It's feasible but a lot easier to buy a UKPK, and then you have another knife in the collection.
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

Hi Deacon, thanks I'm definitely going to grab an Urban when the funds allow.

While I'm not a knifemaker, I do posses a high degree of skill in detailed work. I work as a Architect & Graphic Designer and was raised by my father who is both a carpenter and metalsmith. I grew up working with him for many, many years. I also build highly detailed small scale models for architecture firms in the city. Knifemaking is on my list of things to learn and become proficient in. I have 3D solid models of knives I've started designing and for sure I will post them up. I'm just getting into this. Everyone's gotta start somewhere :)

I will be going ahead with the modification. It will be on my beater Dragonfly as I have a second one already that I use as my EDC. My beater stays in the garage with all my other tools. I have already taken apart the knives and in fact have scanned, CAD'ed and measured with calipers all the parts. I might even borrow my buddy's 3D laser scanner. As I see how the mechanism works, I can now go ahead. I will for sure post photos of my process. This may be a couple weeks from now as this weekend is looking full with social events.

Cheers and thanks for such an awesome forum. I have learned a lot, enjoyed a lot and spent a lot! :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Good luck with your mod!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

Here is the overall layout:

And the detail view of where the filing will take place. It is the purple coloured fillet in the image. The radius is 0.030". I will be printing off a template and scoring the blade, then filing off a little at a time until I get the right action. I just need enough of a radius so that the blade "tang?" can push up against the lockbar and overcome the tension. I will polish the lockbar contact for a smoother action. From the link above, it looks like the grinding was done on the blade instead:
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I would like to see how the action turns out. This is absolutely possible but the probability of ruining the action of the knife and certainty of voiding the warranty would lead me to shy from this personally.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All that a midlock's lock spring has to do is provide sufficent tension to keep the lock from "bouncing". The question becomes whether that level of tension is sufficient to keep a slipjoint open reliably and, if not, how to replace it with a stronger one without over-stressing what appears to be an FRN spring carrier.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Moroland wrote:Looks like it's already been done:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... -legal-EDC
thats pretty cool but i would not definitely ruin the knife if i tried to do that.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JLS

Post by JLS »

It might be worth it to try this on a Byrd Robin or Meadowlark first and take some notes before attempting on the Dragonfly.

I do know my son's wooden Dragonfly is now sort of a slipjoint after his sister was pushing the blade closed without depressing the lockbar and snapped off the piece of wood that formed the back of the lockwell on the blade. But the blade open tension is lousy...
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...