Manix 2 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unseenone

Manix 2 lightweight

Post by unseenone »

Does anyone own a Manix 2 lightweight? I would like to hear from you about the handle material and steel. Can this knife do some heavy cutting and can it be used as a workhorse. Is the blade retention good and is it easy to sharpen. I'm thinking about getting one but I want to hear from a couple of owners first. No store in town carries it so I can't handle one to make up my mind.

Thanks.

:spyder: S30V-Native, S30V-UKPK, Persistence
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have been really pleased with mine and I am a hardcore Manix 2 lover. This knife defies the typical criteria that the Manix fits into, but really surprised me. The handle material is almost as stiff as FRN and has identical traction. The CTS-BD1 is a nice fine grained steel that sharpens easily and responds well to light stropping as well. Regarding your "heavy cutting" question I believe that is subjective unless you care to ask about specific instances or planned uses.

I find all folding spydercos (with locks) to be suited to preform heavy cutting. This is because I am only talking about heavy cutting related to a folder. If I really have heavy work to be done, I am using a fixed blade / machete / hatchet / axe / etc. The hardest use I have put my FRCP Manix thru so far is some whittling of an old piece of oak that has been drying in a shed for years. The lockup is un-phased and handle didn't flex any noticeable amount.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JackC

Post by JackC »

I hardly ever post but visit the forums daily. I picked up this knife for a christmas gift for myself. I have not put it through hard use but this knife is wonderful. It's my new favorite EDC. Do not hesitate to add it to your collection.
Uke

Post by Uke »

I did a bit of a review on mine a while back if that's any help to you -

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ght-Review

I've had it as one of my main users ever since the review and it's never let me down. In fact it's become one of my favourite and most used Spydies. I find the BD1 requires more frequent sharpening if you want to keep it razor sharp but it sharpens up very easily and keeps a working edge for a good amount of time. A few months back I forgot I'd left it in a pair of my trousers on the floor and when I flicked them out out to fold up and put away the Manix flew straight out of the pocket and about 10ft into a wall! I held my breath but just found a healthy couple of mm dink in the handle and the lock up was still tight as a drum. So the FRCP handle gets extra marks from me for durability, although I wouldn't recommend throwing it at any walls...I doubt that was what Spyderco had in mind for it! :)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Love mine. Been using it a bit ay work lately...nothing really heavy. Basically just cutting cardboard, tape, and plastic. But it has performed quite well...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

I've had mine for two months nearly and love it,I have cut a lot of veggies including swede several times and seems fine,steel holds well enough and lockup is totally solid.strength to weight ratio seems unbelievable.
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I have been a serious Manix 2 fan since the g-10 version was released. The blue one has been my EDC since it first came out, only to be replaced last week by the black lightweight. BD1 is a surprisingly good steel and the knife is surprisingly strong for having no liners. It can't do everything a regular Manix 2 can do, but it weighs much less.
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

Infinite Zero wrote:I have been a serious Manix 2 fan since the g-10 version was released. The blue one has been my EDC since it first came out, only to be replaced last week by the black lightweight. BD1 is a surprisingly good steel and the knife is surprisingly strong for having no liners. It can't do everything a regular Manix 2 can do, but it weighs much less.
I took a month off from buying a knife. It's been tough lol. But I'm deciding between a regular manix 2 or the lightweight manix 2. What is something the regular manix 2 could do that the light weight could not?
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

Mahmer09 wrote:I took a month off from buying a knife. It's been tough lol. But I'm deciding between a regular manix 2 or the lightweight manix 2. What is something the regular manix 2 could do that the light weight could not?
If you had no other choice, you could do some light prying with the regular Manix (full liners and saber grind, not the FFG sprints). That's about it.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I've never had any real problems with BD1. Like others have said, it doesn't keep an edge as well as other steels might, but it takes an edge very easily and has a nice polish to boot. The lightweight handle is great, and this is made all the better by a wire clip.

It's plenty strong for most tasks that would be considered 'light' to 'moderate' tasks for a typical folding knife, but anyone who suggests it is just as capable as the standard Manix2 may be a bit naive in their assessment. For me, the main thing I feel the lightweight Manix2 brings to the table is a lightweight and discreet platform with the same great ergos of the standard Manix2, and all at a very reasonable price.
deep6

Post by deep6 »

The light wt Manix 2 is plenty sturdy for general edc use, but the G10 model is clearly better suited for the heavier stuff you might need for a big folder. It is surely worth owning.
Revival

Post by Revival »

I just got one and think its a pretty awesome knife. Its so light that it surprised me. Havent put it through any heavy tasks yet though.