Spyderco Knives vs Dangerous Animal Attacks!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I carry a Military when there is a mountain lion warning on the bike trail. In an actual confrontation my goal is to stab him at least once before I die.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

A Warrior of course...

Fitted into a bayonet lug on the end of a 12 gauge semiautomatic loaded with magnum slugs in an extended magazine. Oh, and a ported S&W 500 revolver just in case.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

deep6 wrote:Best defense against a bear is another bear, hopefully a bigger one.
I would hope the bigger bear is at least the sprint run bear with S90V claws.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Once while kayaking I fended off a very aggressive dragonfly by waving around my Ladybug H1 SE Hawkbill. It was touch and go there for awhile but the wielded steel prevailed. Just to play it safe I will will take my Dragonfly H1 next time out.
Recent :spyder: Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V
Donut

Post by Donut »

1. You cannot predict an animal attack or predict which type of animal will attack.
2. Whatever knife you have on you.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Good one Bal, laughed the whole way through it.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

+1 on the Warrior if you don't have a gun.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Invective

Post by Invective »

deep6 wrote:Best defense against a bear is another bear, hopefully a bigger one.
Yeah, but do you know how hard it is to find a BearaMilitary Sprint? Those things are going for a fortune on the Bay.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A Whale Rescue Blade on a really long stick, and waved with serious intent...will do ALL the animals and fishes mentioned in the first post...
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Karambit or a hawkbill, both of those I can wildly flail at whatever animal is mauling my head. In the end it won't be pretty.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

A ladybug. That way you can sneakily disable your friend and run away! :p Otherwise... it'd be you with a toothpick.. vs an animal with 10 knives attached to their paws.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Spyderjo

Post by Spyderjo »

Lions, and tigers, and bears...oh my!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sequimite wrote:I carry a Military when there is a mountain lion warning on the bike trail. In an actual confrontation my goal is to stab him at least once before I die.

That's what it boils down to. Chances are good i'll get mauled, possibly to death, but that SOB is gonna bleed to death and die shortly after :mad:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree it will be whatever is on me, this is yet another reason a larger folder is always on my person. I know for a fact that a Caly 3.5 can dispatch a mountain lion when put to use.

^^^ David said it very well. I may live or die, but my attacker (2 legs or 4) will bleed!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Don't know research wild dogs and injuries they can have a leg bitten off and heal up fine also lions you've seen documentaries with the males covered in scars ?.
Also crocs can sustain massive injuries and still thrive but for the sake if it I'm pitching any salt against a great white at least the spydie won't be damaged and when my half chomped corpse floats up on some beach if I never managed deployment, somebody will have a useable knife its all about donating .
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Forrester regound with a swedge :p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Although I'd totally use a spydie to defend against a raging chihuahua...

He messes with me, he gonna bleeed...
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

BAL wrote:
Slowly, try to work your hand down to your Yojimbo or Military.
Thank you so much. I FINALLY know what my YOJIMBO blue NIB is good for. Whew!
JD Spydo

Temperance 1 & 2 models designed for animal attacks

Post by JD Spydo »

I distinctly remember hearing it said that when Sal Glesser designed the Temperance 1 model that he had in mind to have a fixed blade knife that would be proficient against a mountian lion attack>> I forget where I read that but it was either on this Forum or over at Bladeforums.

I would say that no knife can guarantee your personal safety against animal attacks. If you are up against Grizzly or Polar bears you are in a world of trouble that most people can't even imagine. I remember one of Les Stroud's "Survivorman" shows on the Science channel where he was in an arctic survival situation and he had a high powered rifle and he even said that unless he could wake up before the bear got to him it was useless to have any weapon>> especially when you are by yourself.

For personal protection I successfully defended myself against 2 individuals who held me up at gunpoint about 2 & 1/2 years ago with my Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. But I don't credit my knife as much as I did the "element of surprise" in that succesful defense. I think those guys didn't expect me to fight back like I did. >> but again in the case of dangerous or predatory animals you simply want to avoid that situation at all costs.

Most people have no idea how much strength that wild animals have>> a chimpanzee for instance has the strength of 4 NFL football players. I'm sure a Grizzly bear can top that by a large margin. A powerful large caliber gun or shotgun with 00 shot would be your best bet. But again I advise you to avoid the situation all together if you can.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

I have to agree,if you are attacked you are pretty screwed.wild animals are stronger faster and more nimble.however if luck plays a part I'm sure my manix 2 light weight would have a go. :D
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.