Spyderco Techno - 1 Hand Opening Issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydernewbie

Spyderco Techno - 1 Hand Opening Issue

Post by spydernewbie »

I just got a techno and it is impossible to open with 1 hand with just the thumb.

I own literally 50 Spydercos and this is a first.

Is anyone else having this problem?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've been using a Techno a lot over the last few months. It does have a very stiff detent, but it can be opened with just the thumb. I usually use the middle finger simultaneously on the opposite side of the hole to assist the thumb in getting past the detent. That makes it easy. I think mine has slightly loosened up over time too.

Also, make sure no fingers are pressing on the lock bar. That will really make it hard to open!
:bug-red-white
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I coach strength and conditioning, and here's my advice (I don't own a techno):

Find your easiest opening spyderco, probably an older linerlock. Whenever you have a free hand do sets of 10 openings per hand, resting 30 seconds between sets for 5-10 sets. After a few days, find your next easiest opening spyderco, and proceed accordingly working your way up to the techno.

I should make an infomercial :D
Clip

Post by Clip »

I did too the first week, but after I learned to stop squeezing the lock bar it was a LOT better. Also, the handle hurt my thumb with those sharp corners near the thumb hole. I'd been thinking of sanding them down but after using it since whenever it came out, I've adapted and its one of my favorites now.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I noticed I had to change the grip on my Southard from what feels normal and comfortable to keep from touching the lockbar. This seems to apply with either the thumbhole or flipper deployment.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

xceptnl wrote:I noticed I had to change the grip on my Southard from what feels normal and comfortable to keep from touching the lockbar. This seems to apply with either the thumbhole or flipper deployment.
Anything with a CR lock I think. You really need to keep off the lock-bar or you will have a lot more difficulty opening the knife than you should. If you don't do this, any pressure at all will drive the detent ball into the blade and it will make life a lot more difficult than it needs to be.
spydernewbie

Post by spydernewbie »

my sage 2 is soooo much smoother to open - even if i put pressure on the lock bar.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

spydernewbie wrote:my sage 2 is soooo much smoother to open - even if i put pressure on the lock bar.
It's also because it's a small knife, unless you have the hands of a hobbit everything is a little cramped. I think the Techno probably lends itself more to spydie drops than flicking.
Clip

Post by Clip »

DRKBC wrote:It's also because it's a small knife, unless you have the hands of a hobbit everything is a little cramped. I think the Techno probably lends itself more to spydie drops than flicking.
EDIT: just tried it and DRK, you're right in that its not too bad to drop. There's more access to the hole than I thought.

I thought drops required you to pinch the hole, I can barely see the hole above the lock on the opposite side. I have no trouble flicking my Techno, just have to use a lighter grip to begin with. I've also been carrying it for six months though, so I have no doubt it's worn in a little bit.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I posted a similar thread about a week ago. I sat flicking my Techno open mall ninja-style as I read your post. Practice, practice, practice. Also, because of the shape of the cutout around the Spydie hole, you gotta sorta flick your thumb straight up rather toward the 2:00 position as you would with Spydies with larger, more forgiving cutouts. Good luck. You'll get it after a while. Oh, and initially I found it did help to position my index or middle finger on the opposite side of the hole. Don't need to do that now, though.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I posted on the other Techno thread - its not just the detent, but also the fact that the hole is closer to the pivot than most Spydies. The hole closer to the pivot decreases your leverage enough to make it harder to open. If you have a PPT, you might have noticed the same thing. Both Techno and PPT hole to pivot distance is less/shorter than other knives like the Caly 3, Stretch, PM2, etc. My opinion at least. I would like to see what Sal and Eric think, though.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

My Techno hasn't left my pocket since I got it, I love the thing. At first I also found it less than smooth to open, but I figured out it was because I was pushing on the lock bar as I was opening it. I lightened my finger grip and it opens with my thumb as smooth as butter.

If I want to I can also easily flick it open with my thumb. I find the trick it to flick toward the pivot point. If you flick upwards (as initially seemed logical to me) you could easily slice your thumb open.

I am actually left handed and I can now just as easily open it with my left hand by either first pushing the blade out with my forefinger then finishing with my thumb, or if I start with my forefinger and flick my wrist at the same time it flies out. (A little off topic I know but its a common complaint that this knife isn't lefty friendly!!)

Did I mention that I love this knife!