Got The Ti Military: First Impressions and a Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbrouwer

Got The Ti Military: First Impressions and a Question

Post by kbrouwer »

Got my Titanium Military today. Really like it. What else can I say? It's the Salbenza lol. Nice handles, ergos are perfect, good size blade and very useful shape for me, etc.

One question though...

When disengaging the lock, I find that I put some pressure on the pocket clip which in turn makes it very difficult if not impossible to release the lock. I also tend to put a few fingers on the lock bar which adds to the pressure. Any suggestions as to how to hold the knife when disengaging the lock to make it as simple as possible? I purchased some oil that's coming in the mail pretty soon that I'll apply to the steel insert that contacts the lock face as well as the lock face itself. This should eliminate the "crunch" type noise you hear when releasing the bar, that make the lock bar stick less as well.
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Try to stop your middle finger from putting pressure on the lockbar, you can rest it on the clip lightly but use your pinky and ring finger to grip the knife below the lock bar. Or you could try position your middle finger above the lockbar but its a stretch for my hands.

I see, said the blind man.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Either try keep your middle finger off the lock bar, or if your hands are big enough, move it above the lock bar. You can rest your middle finger on the clip if you use a light touch.

I see, said the blind man.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I would recommend doing a little more research, prior to oiling the lock interface....

a good rinse of production "residue", followed by oiling of the pivot should be all that's necessary.

Oiling the lock faces will likely just prolong the break-in period required for the smooth operation you are looking for...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Nice photos. With framelocks I put my middle finger above like in the second photo.
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

Sweet knife. So how do these compare in size and smoothness to the paramilitary 2?
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Sweet knife. So how do these compare in size and smoothness to the paramilitary 2?
It's just a bit bigger all the way around. Someone/somewhere are so great comparison pics. I wanted to comment on the smoothness. I have the ti military and it wasn't that smooth for me. I used some nano oil on the pivot and on the detent ball and its been great. But the PM2 uses a totally different system. At first I was bummed the military wasn't as smooth but now I like it. The PM2 is dare I say all most too smooth?
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

Mahmer09 wrote:It's just a bit bigger all the way around. Someone/somewhere are so great comparison pics. I wanted to comment on the smoothness. I have the ti military and it wasn't that smooth for me. I used some nano oil on the pivot and on the detent ball and its been great. But the PM2 uses a totally different system. At first I was bummed the military wasn't as smooth but now I like it. The PM2 is dare I say all most too smooth?
Yea but thats what i love about the PM2. When i first showed my buddy my PM2 action his response was "Is your blade too loose?" Then i let him try it out and he was shocked that there was no blade play.
I want to try a full size military though. Id especially like a Ti one like yours. That thing is gorgeous.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Sweet knife. So how do these compare in size and smoothness to the paramilitary 2?
I don't have a Para2 but I do have a very similar (Manix 2) knife. When you get the Ti Mil you really need to break it in. It's not smooth. Not gritty or sticky but just not smooth. I have some Tuf Glide coming in the mail that I will apply to the pivot. Between this and break in, it should become much, much smoother. You also need to consider that there's slight tension on the blade from the lock bar. It will get smooth though, it just takes time. Mine isn't there yet but with the Tuf Glide it will be.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote: Id especially like a Ti one like yours. That thing is gorgeous.
It really is, worth every penny. The action may not seem like it when you first get it but trust me, from what I've seen, it'll break in within a week or two.