Is it worth owning both a Paramilitary 2 and a Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Random Dan

Is it worth owning both a Paramilitary 2 and a Manix 2?

Post by Random Dan »

I currently have a PM2 as my only Spydie, but I'm experiencing the completely emotional, non-logic related urge to pick up a Manix 2. However I'm still not convinced it's worth spending ~$70 on a knife so similar to the one I already have. So I guess the question is do I listen to the voice of reason and resist the urge to buy a Manix 2, or just go ahead with it? It also depends on how similar the two really are, since all I have is the fleeting impression of holding a Manix 2 at a gun show and don't remember it that well.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -George Washington
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

Order it! Of course its worth it. Plus they have two totally different locking mechanisms. PM2 is a compression and the manix 2 is a ball bearing detent i believe. You can never have too many spyders. But then again i dont own a manix 2 even though it is on my list. I do however own 4 PM2's. Well 2 right now and two on their way.
BD583

Post by BD583 »

Ahh....Yes!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Go for it...not really that similar. I sold my only Para 2 not long ago and received my first Manix 2 at Christmas. Already considering getting another Manix hopefully sometime soon. In my opinion, the M2 feels just slightly better in hand than the PM2...it locks in. I love it!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

BDNX wrote:Go for it...not really that similar. I sold my only Para 2 not long ago and received my first Manix 2 at Christmas. Already considering getting another Manix hopefully sometime soon. In my opinion, the M2 feels just slightly better in hand than the PM2...it locks in. I love it!
Ouch! You sold your PM2!? That's like selling one of your kids because you want another.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

PM and Manix are my favourite Spyderco knives, and you should buy the Manix to see how many differences there are between the PM. Find a Manix with a different colour and steel from your PM and you will not find any similarity.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Yes, owning both is the responsible and morally correct thing to do.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've come full circle on this subject. I bought a M2 first and once the new wore off I lost interest. That lead to buying an original Para which I loved, which lead to the Para 2 which was even better. I recently bought another M2 since they're S30V now and I can't understand what I missed the first time around. The grip options and ergonomics are better for me and I prefer the CBBL just slightly over the compression lock, mostly because it doesn't disrupt the spine of the grip and is fully ambidextrous. I also feel there's some relationship between the compression lock and side to side play that isn't found with the CBBL, as the pivot on my M2 is rock solid even after constant EDC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

yes
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I bought both, as much for the variety of steels as the knife designs themselves. S90V, D2(P1), 20CP etc...

The M2 in CPM-M4 is one of my favorite knives of all time.
BDNX wrote:In my opinion, the M2 feels just slightly better in hand than the PM2...it locks in.
More that just slightly IMO. The M2 carries a bit wide due to the CBBL but in the hand, it's a dream.

Ken
玉鋼
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

My first Spyderco was a Manix2, and since then I am a big fan. What sold me was the construction and solid lockup of the Manix I now have a Para2 on the way, and I am hoping it is as solid as the Manix, but all else aside I would own as many as possible, because it is just fun to own and play with knives.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I did not realize this about my collection until you asked about it in this thread: I have a Para 2 and no Manix 2's. I have previously owned the following Manix 2 variations: CF S90V, Blue G-10, Orange G-10, Forest Green CTS-XHP, Moonglow, and standard model.

I have owned the Para 2 S90V and the Blue M390. The only one I have left is the gray sprint run edition. So 1 Para 2 left and 0 Manix 2's for me.

I would infer from this that I saw the Manix 2 as either redundant to the Para 2 or just didn't like it as much as the Para 2. I have been trying to downsize my collection for what seems like forever (only to keep accumulating new knives).

I do still have an original large Manix with back lock, which I cherish.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i used to have a m2 but had to give it up in a trade, you have to buy one to realize how different they are. totally worth it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Both models are well done and supported by a very loyal customer base.

The base Manix2 is a bit heavier and hollow-ground which many don't prefer (I love HG), with these two factors it's about 1.5oz heavier which is noticable. It also has a tad less belly to the blade and is ambidextrous. The Para2 doesn't have the same handle jimping which bothers some folks. It also has a slightly thicker blade (3.5mm vs 3.0mm) which is an advantage or disadvantage depending on your mindset.

Both great knives. I would go with the one you prefer the looks of the most. If it doesn't jive with you get the other eventually and compare. Perhaps one will go away second-hand, gifted, or whatever. There isn't really a "right" or "wrong" answer despite what many will attempt and tell you. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What impressed me the most about the M2 and ultimately tipped the scales in its favor was the fact that the handle is shorter than the P2 yet I can still get a full grip behind the choil on it, without having my pinky fall on that point on the butt of the P2. I just feel the design works better for me. I'm also starting to prefer the blade shape over the P2 also because the tip is lower and less up swept and somewhat like a slightly curved wharnie, which I like a lot. I'm not crazy about the low hollow grind though. I really hope the DCL M2 gets the FFG treatment soon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

First of all of course it makes total sense to buy another Spydie even if you already have one (or several) that fill the same role! DUH!!! :D Geez, if that wasn't true we all have a lot of explaining to do! (especially to our wives!). :)

That said, I am a serious Para2 addict! Have 5! Don't own a Manix2...just too wide of a knife for me (in fact, I recently ordered a SuperLeaf, but after getting it returned it because it was just too wide in the pocket & I knew it would never get carried!). The Para2 just fits me PERFECTLY! My absolute all time fav!!

But, if you want a Manix2 by all means...go for it!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

I have a Manix2 and want a Para but can't get it anywhere right now. IMO there's absolutely a point in owning both.
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
Mc556

Post by Mc556 »

Yes you need to own both
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

They are pretty similar but I'm interested in a Manix 2 myself. I thought it would make sense to buy one of the FFG models with a good steel, or buy the XL model. I have a Tenacious in my EDC and IMO it is also fairly similar to the PM2 and M2.

If the OP is concerned about the 2 models being similar and he wants to buy another Spyderco, there are lots of models to choose from that are significantly different- the Military is larger, the Sage is smaller, the Gayle Bradley has M4 steel, etc.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The current standard Manix2 is hollow-ground CPM-S30V.