Manix 2 blue translucent

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neospyder

Manix 2 blue translucent

Post by neospyder »

Just received a new manix 2. Great knife and while the scales are still pined together i was surprised to see a torx so you can adjust the blade if you need to. Thank you spyderco
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's a nice knife. Sometimes I have an impulsive, "gotta have it now" demeanor and because of that, I bought this knife when it first came out and thus missed out on the adjustable pivot screw.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

I would buy one if I didn't hate pinned construction, and plastic scales w/o liners, and... aw screw it I'll just go with the regular Manix 2.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -George Washington
computernut

Post by computernut »

I just picked one up and it was the store's last one and it has the pinned pivot, maybe I should have waited, oh well, it's a great knife. I picked it up because I had some Christmas gift cards to spend but I wound up really loving it. I'm not a big fan of the glossy finish on the blade but it feels great in the hand and it locks up so solid. If it had a better steel it would probably push my PM2 out of my pocket.

SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'm gonna try to go to the SFO to pick up a black one Monday if they have them in stock. I love how light it is for those occasions when you don't want or can't have a heavy knife in your pocket. I just wish I could get my hands on the one with the black blade and black handle that was in a pick on here some time back.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

With my current use, I have found the pinned construction to be perfect and I am the type to like my pivots adjusted perfectly. Thank being said, I do plan to purchase a black model with a Torx pivot.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

I've the first version of the translucent, with pinned construction; I find the knife not so solid and it's not only an impression: there's a game between the blade and the handle, so I use this knife only for small thing, like cut paper. I was very sad when I saw it for the first time. It's my worst manix so I was undecided if buy the black version too, but with torx things will change... I hope! Anyone else felt the same thing? Maybe mine is imperfect? I'm very interested in this...
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

Random Dan wrote:I would buy one if I didn't hate pinned construction, and plastic scales w/o liners, and... aw screw it I'll just go with the regular Manix 2.
You hit the nail right on the head, couldn't agree with you more. Pinned construction is a recipe for disaster. Lifespan is greatly reduced as there is no adjustment for wear.
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

I must be one of the few but I like my riveted spyderco knives.I find the manix is great for general edc but it is great that it is produced with screws now.
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Pinned construction is a recipe for disaster. Lifespan is greatly reduced as there is no adjustment for wear.
I used to feel this way as well, but people have Buck knives that are 50-60 years old which are pinned and they are just as solid as the day they were made. Sometimes people just have an innate nature to tinker with things and may get the impression that their knife will become a loose, rattling mess and fall apart into pieces if they can't mess with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

A pinned construction can be tightened back by tapping it gently with small hammer. As said above, people have been fine with pinned construction for a long time. A lot of traditionals are pinned, and SAK too. People have been whittling wood (traditionals) and prying open stuck can lid (SAK screwdriver) without issue. Knowing Spyderco, the pinned construction would likely be better than SAK.
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

anagarika wrote:A pinned construction can be tightened back by tapping it gently with small hammer. As said above, people have been fine with pinned construction for a long time. A lot of traditionals are pinned, and SAK too.
Thats exactly what i want to do, tap on my knife with a hammer vs just slightly tightening the pivot screw. What happens when you accidentally tap it too much and overtighten? Then you get to deal with a stiff blade.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Jay_Ev wrote:I used to feel this way as well, but people have Buck knives that are 50-60 years old which are pinned and they are just as solid as the day they were made. Sometimes people just have an innate nature to tinker with things and may get the impression that their knife will become a loose, rattling mess and fall apart into pieces if they can't mess with it.
'zacly. The urge to tinker, and the ability to do so, are not always beneficial. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Thats exactly what i want to do, tap on my knife with a hammer vs just slightly tightening the pivot screw. What happens when you accidentally tap it too much and overtighten? Then you get to deal with a stiff blade.
True, but then the chances of a pin loosening and falling out at an inopportune moment are much less that the chances of a threaded fastener doing the same. Then too, there's no chance of stripping either the head or the threads of a pin by over tightening it, things that seem to happen fairly frequently to those who tinker with screw construction knives. Simple fact is, nothing works for everyone and most things have both virtues and vices. That makes it both inevitable and unremarkable that some of us will prefer pinned construction while others will favor screws.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Thats exactly what i want to do, tap on my knife with a hammer vs just slightly tightening the pivot screw. What happens when you accidentally tap it too much and overtighten? Then you get to deal with a stiff blade.
Simply 'pry' the handle scale a bit. This trick was from old balisong enthusiasts community, when most balisong were pinned.