Southard too expensive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

SQSAR wrote:For me, it's a huge selling point if a new Spyderco model comes out and it is from Taiwan. You just can't beat the F&F of their knives. I understand why some may assume differently before handling many from Taiwan, , ,but anyone who knows knives will be quick to see that Spyderco's Taiwan knives are up there with the finest production knives on the market. And regardless of where they are from, quality is going to cost extra.
Right. Many people assume that Taiwan's related to China, but it's not. The quality is much better, in fact, I know that many saxophone brands have factories in Taiwan, such as Selmer.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Maxpedition is all made in Taiwan too and their stuff is both well made and expensive. haha
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
kawr

Post by kawr »

Thank god I ordered the Southard. The quality is **** near CRK level in my humble opinion. It is so stupidly smooth and yet so solid in terms of lockup that I shed a tear of joy. My beloved Umnumzaan has gone back into its box (still my favorite folder) because the Southard will be my new edc indefinitly. I have absolutely nothing to complain about except the very sharp lockbar cut outs that irritate the fingers when constantly opening/closing the knife. Not a big deal because I assume it will smooth out over time, just from carrying it in the pocket. Thanks to those who assured me it was well worth the $240 shipped I paid for it. You gentlemen were absolutely correct this time around! ;)

xceptnl

SALE at HOWES

Post by xceptnl »

Southards for $219.00
Get them while thay last! He has a dozen in stock at the time of this post. Happy hunting.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

xceptnl wrote:Southards for $219.00
Get them while thay last! He has a dozen in stock at the time of this post. Happy hunting.
Wicked price!!! Cheap knife compared to what the competition has to offer :p

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:Southards for $219.00
Yeah, sorely tempted to buy a backup, but...nah.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JNewell wrote:Yeah, sorely tempted to buy a backup, but...nah.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this. I was tempted to buy before I posted this. I have way too many purchases planned for 2013 so a backup will not be a reality unless I get an unexpected raise.
*Landon*
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

$219 was too good to pass up. Still not in love with the brown G-10, but hopefully the rest of it will win me over. I'm glad I got in on Howe's sale. Now they are all sold out.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Alchemy1 wrote:$219 was too good to pass up. Still not in love with the brown G-10, but hopefully the rest of it will win me over. I'm glad I got in on Howe's sale. Now they are all sold out.
Yes, and did so in just a few hours. That says something about how attractive the knife is at that price.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I know Ag Russell makes a usa-made, all ti handled framelock flipper, that sells for about $100. Titanium is an expensive metal, but I don't think it's justifiable to jack the price up a few hundred just because you have a titanium lockbar. Now, if there are royalties involved, that sort of makes the price seem less artificial.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I know Ag Russell makes a usa-made, all ti handled framelock flipper, that sells for about $100. Titanium is an expensive metal, but I don't think it's justifiable to jack the price up a few hundred just because you have a titanium lockbar. Now, if there are royalties involved, that sort of makes the price seem less artificial.
I must be mistaken, but the A.G. Russell Ti framelocks that I have seen were either Chinese made with VG-10 for over $150 or USA made with ZDP (much more comparable to CTS-204P) for $275+. This seems to be right inline with the Spyderco pricing.
*Landon*
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think everyone would agree that the $219 price cited above would sting a little less when making the purchase as opposed to the $260+ which is more typical lately.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jay_Ev wrote:I think everyone would agree that the $219 price cited above would sting a little less when making the purchase as opposed to the $260+ which is more typical lately.
Exactly my point.
*Landon*
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

While it's "nearly" half the price of a large Sebenza, I'd challenge anyone who'd say it's nearly half the knife. I had to absolutely throw out my USA only snobbery as the Southard is the best feeling, smoothest, sturdiest Spydie I've owned.

Not overpriced
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Leatherneck wrote:While it's "nearly" half the price of a large Sebenza, I'd challenge anyone who'd say it's nearly half the knife. I had to absolutely throw out my USA only snobbery as the Southard is the best feeling, smoothest, sturdiest Spydie I've owned.

Not overpriced
True 'nuff, but you know how it goes...the relationship between price and quality is not linear. :)

I was totally content with the Southard at $240 (what I paid). $260 would slow me down - a lot. $220, heck, I almost bought another!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

JNewell wrote:True 'nuff, but you know how it goes...the relationship between price and quality is not linear. :)
No it is not and the Sebs are such that the dollar ought to be based on them! I agree, $260 is getting up there, but $220 is sweet.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:What royalties? The Szabo is a collaboration as well.

MSRP is based on cost to make. Given the two knives come from the same maker and are both collabs I have to think the Southard is simply more expensive to make. The bushing system, 204p (instead of S30v) and what-not.

For my budget the Southard is too expensive. That doesn't make the valuation incorrect...it just makes it personally uncomfortable. I couldn't deem it "overpriced" unless I knew the cost to make it relative to a number of other models. I know Brad's custom ATW starts at about $435 if that matters.
I'm pretty sure that different collabs have different royalty levels. Compare the Leafstorm with the Gayle Bradley (original) folder.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Leatherneck wrote:No it is not and the Sebs are such that the dollar ought to be based on them! I agree, $260 is getting up there, but $220 is sweet.
Hah, a replacement for the gold standard that Nixon took us off, and using a South African native's knife as well - good fun! :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is an eBay vendor with a "Buy It Now" for $212.95 + shipping. Has 6 more in stock.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:There is an eBay vendor with a "Buy It Now" for $212.95 + shipping. Has 6 more in stock.
Blake you are really making it hard not to order a spare.
*Landon*