Southard too expensive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

bh49 wrote:For some reasons I feel just opposite. Most of the dealers, which I use sell them around 60% of MSRP give or take. But $400 MSRP looks a little high to compare with $325 MSRP for ZT561.
60% off MSRP. I need to get a new vendor. Feel free to pm me with where to sign up for that deal. I would take a Southard for $160.00 any day. Thanks
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

JNewell wrote:I've seen those. At the end of the day, it's a compression lock, which has years of design and manufacturing knowledge behind it. The Southard is an almost entirely new venture for Spyderco, and it's unrealistic to think that doesn't get reflected in production costs.
I'm not trying to split hairs with you because I always enjoy your posts and you make valid points, but it almost seems as if you are making excuses for Spyderco. The Reeve integral liner lock has been around just as long as the compression lock, if not longer and has just as many years of design behind it. The Southard is not any newer than the Szabo (they came out roughly around the same time) and yet its new design and engineering isn't reflected as drastically in its production costs. :confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Jay_Ev wrote:I'm not trying to split hairs with you because I always enjoy your posts and you make valid points, but it almost seems as if you are making excuses for Spyderco. The Reeve integral liner lock has been around just as long as the compression lock, if not longer and has just as many years of design behind it. The Southard is not any newer than the Szabo (they came out roughly around the same time) and yet its new design and engineering isn't reflected as drastically in its production costs. :confused:
Sorry if that had a "tone" - not intended. At the end of the day, it's hard for us outside the building to know how price points are determined. It's possible that Brad's royalty is just a lot more than Szabo's. Some other collabs, like the Wilkins Leafstorm, seem very high to me; others, like the Bradley folder, seem almost cheap. Dunno.

On a totally different note, I did go back to the Szabo page on Spyderco's website and noticed that Spyderco has revised the Taichung carbon fiber handle descriptions to reflect the laminate CF/G10 construction.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

jtoler_9 wrote:60% off MSRP. I need to get a new vendor. Feel free to pm me with where to sign up for that deal. I would take a Southard for $160.00 any day. Thanks
He said 60% 'of' not 60% 'off'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I thought it was too expensive when I first saw it but jumped on it still. It's the most I've ever spent on a knife but when it arrived and after fondling with it I knew it was well worth it. It's the best F&F I have ever seen on any knife, might even rival a sebenza which costs twice as much.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I would say its worth it. Obviously so since I'm playing with mine right now.

Quality design, premium materials, and a I'm sure Taichung isn't a cheap factory. I wouldn't expect it to be a cheap knife. Maybe in the future if it turns out to be a crazy top seller, they might order them in droves and get a better price on them... Like mentioned above, considering what you pay for similar knives the price is fair.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jtoler_9 wrote:60% off MSRP. I need to get a new vendor. Feel free to pm me with where to sign up for that deal. I would take a Southard for $160.00 any day. Thanks
Jay_Ev wrote:He said 60% 'of' not 60% 'off'
that's right.
just one "f", sorry. I wish I could point you to the place, where you will be able to find it @ $160, unfortunately, I cannot. At least at this time.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Hey guys hope all is well

Imo this is one of the most iconic models Spyderco has ever released. Brad has been a spydie nut and a forumite here for a real long time. Many of the old timers have watched him progress from pimping Spyderco's to being one of the most sought after makers on the planet. The reason why Brad is so popular is because he's a good guy who is very passionate about his craft.

Now about the knife lol

This is the first ever flipper made by Spyderco so you can't realistically compare it to other non flippers that Spyderco makes. Both are very different animals. Flippers are much tougher to get right, and truthfully a good flipper is a thing of beauty. Give the knife a chance and actually order one and then make your decision. I see more and more people complaining about the price and then doing a 180 and loving this piece as soon as they have it in their hand.

There was a time I thought a $50 native was expensive and now I have customs that are worth $2000. Try it before you knock it :)

take care
AJ
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

As a guy that will call out when I see something that I think needs mention, I have to say that while the Southard is expensive, I don't think that it is poorly priced at all. Would I like it to be $200. Yes, double yes, **** yes. But, given the quality of the Taiwanese knives, the quality of the materials, the fact that it is a collab and the fact that they really had to work on getting the heat treat right...I would say that it is...fairly priced. Especially when you think that the custom version is probably $800.
On the hunt for...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

bh49 wrote:that's right.
just one "f", sorry. I wish I could point you to the place, where you will be able to find it @ $160, unfortunately, I cannot. At least at this time.
Ahh understood now. Foot in mouth.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Southard is also my most expensive knife and I was a bit hesitant to spend the cash on it, but since I really want a Southard custom but can't get on his book right now, this is as close as I'm going to get at the moment, so I ordered it. The build quality, feel, and materials blew me away after receiving it and it certainly is worth every last cent I paid. While I would love for it to include a Ti clip to match the handle, that doesn't make it worth any less than they are charging. Is it worth $80 more than a Szabo? For me, absolutely. The Szabo seems like a great deal as well, but I prefer the higher end steel, machined Ti lock (with G-10 over-travel stop), and ball-bearing pivot system of the Southard.

The only downside is that my Southard is going to cost me a whole lot more money, as now I'm resolute on getting in Brad's book next time he opens it up for orders!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

You found the Southard too expensive? Imagine me, poor Spyderco collector from the other side of the Atlantic: I paid 369$ to have this knife! (knife price, shipping 36$ and tax fees 80$) And I can't choice the shop because all doesn't internationnal ship.

Sal explained in another topic that Spyderco makes some "hight tech" knives in taiwan to have a "correct" price. USA made Southard will cost double the price than taiwan made.

Why the southard is more expensive than other knives?
For me: the blade cts 204p, ball bearing, huge titanium scame with RIL, surface treatment
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Gofannon wrote:You found the Southard too expensive? Imagine me, poor Spyderco collector from the other side of the Atlantic: I paid 369$ to have this knife! (knife price, shipping 36$ and tax fees 80$) And I can't choice the shop because all doesn't internationnal ship.

Sal explained in another topic that Spyderco makes some "hight tech" knives in taiwan to have a "correct" price. USA made Southard will cost double the price than taiwan made.

Why the southard is more expensive than other knives?
For me: the blade cts 204p, ball bearing, huge titanium scame with RIL, surface treatment
+1

I think you can't complain in the US about prices. Spyderco knives in general are expensive over here in Europe!

If I compare the Southard to my Sebenza or Hinderer, the Southard is a way better knife then both the Sebenza and the XM. If you compare it in price its cheap. A Sebenza is over $325 and the price on the XM is completely ridiculous. If you want an overpriced knife buy a Hinderer :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It's been a while since I looked, but my recollection is that the Southard's street price is competitive with other similar flippers.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Economic question really. If it is overpriced, people won't buy it and it will be discontinued where you can get it at a reduced price. This has happend with many spydies over the years.

On the other hand, the Para 2 is too cheap, which is why it has become so hard to find them.

The market will take care of the price.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

akaAK wrote:Economic question really. If it is overpriced, people won't buy it and it will be discontinued where you can get it at a reduced price. This has happend with many spydies over the years.

On the other hand, the Para 2 is too cheap, which is why it has become so hard to find them.

The market will take care of the price.
An astute point. Also, it has remained $97 or so at our favorite retailers for a very long time.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

markg wrote:... it is a tough time for the knife collector and enthusiasts. On one hand we have a poor economy where money and wealth is just being sucked out of the average household. The amount of money you have to devote to the hobby is increasingly limited. All the while the cost of making the knives is increasing, and the types of knives companies are making is getting more up scale and expensive.
This hits the nail on the head, IMO. And I don't see it getting better anytime soon, the printing presses are still rolling. I've had to cut my knife habit way back as a result and the more expensive models are out of the picture. :(

Gordon
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:As a guy that will call out when I see something that I think needs mention, I have to say that while the Southard is expensive, I don't think that it is poorly priced at all. Would I like it to be $200. Yes, double yes, **** yes. But, given the quality of the Taiwanese knives, the quality of the materials, the fact that it is a collab and the fact that they really had to work on getting the heat treat right...I would say that it is...fairly priced. Especially when you think that the custom version is probably $800.
jabba359 wrote:The Southard is also my most expensive knife and I was a bit hesitant to spend the cash on it, but since I really want a Southard custom but can't get on his book right now, this is as close as I'm going to get at the moment, so I ordered it. The build quality, feel, and materials blew me away after receiving it and it certainly is worth every last cent I paid. While I would love for it to include a Ti clip to match the handle, that doesn't make it worth any less than they are charging. Is it worth $80 more than a Szabo? For me, absolutely. The Szabo seems like a great deal as well, but I prefer the higher end steel, machined Ti lock (with G-10 over-travel stop), and ball-bearing pivot system of the Southard.

The only downside is that my Southard is going to cost me a whole lot more money, as now I'm resolute on getting in Brad's book next time he opens it up for orders!

Hey guys hope all is well

Brad's customs straight from him are around $600 for a base model, but he has a backlog right now and is not taking orders as well. The only way to get knives straight from him is to go to TI, Gathering or Bladeshow. He holds lotteries at these shows and it gives people a chance you buy his knives at table price.

Secondary pricing on Brad's knives range from $1000 - $2000 depends on model and materials.

$250 is a steal for one of Brad's knives designed by Spyderco and many folks who can't get the customs are really happy that this design has come out. :)

take care
AJ
Live in every breath

aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

IG-88 wrote:+1

I think you can't complain in the US about prices. Spyderco knives in general are expensive over here in Europe!

If I compare the Southard to my Sebenza or Hinderer, the Southard is a way better knife then both the Sebenza and the XM. If you compare it in price its cheap. A Sebenza is over $325 and the price on the XM is completely ridiculous. If you want an overpriced knife buy a Hinderer :)
$325 for a sebenza is a great price actually, and I have had a number of hinderers and never paid more than $385 for them. Rick makes an amazing knife and that's why the price has gone so high on the secondary. The supply can't meet the demand, but that's not Rick's fault.

AJ
Live in every breath

jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

It is an expensive knife but I think it is worth it. I paid $225 for mine and compared to another, larger flipper I had I think the price is fair. It is not my most expensive knife but easily top 5. For the quality you get, I think the price is reasonable.

Expensive but reasonable would be my read.