Spyderco and the knife industry in the news (featuring Sal and The Deacon)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr. Shawn

Spyderco and the knife industry in the news (featuring Sal and The Deacon)

Post by Mr. Shawn »

I haven't posted in a while, so I figure posting two great articles featured in this morning's online version of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is enough to get the ball rolling again. :D The first article includes an interview with The Deacon, and the second one is an interview with Sal.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 634db.html

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 8aa96.html
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Very Cool. Thanks for sharing
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That was like a huge breath of fresh air to an honest knife owner such as myself! We need to see that in a LOT more newspapers. Nice going, Sal and Paul. :cool: Thanks for sharing this!

- best wishes, Jazz.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cheers Sal and Paul (and Doug)! :D

A knife article with rational voices? I guess mankind isn't doomed :p
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Very enjoyable to read Spyderco's philosophy aired in the articles :) Agreed completely with Jazz, more would be better.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

15,000 sq ft expansion of manufacturing space in Golden -
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Great quote from Paul:

"Those who claim their collections are investments are “either deluding themselves,” he says, “or just trying to placate their wife.”

Couldn't agree more.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Forgot to thank Doug, too!

- best wishes, Jazz.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thank you for posting that it was a very interesting read. It is nice to draw peoples attention to what knives are typically used for and why they are collected.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I enjoyed reading those articles. Thanks for posting. It's nice reading articles that offer a fresh perspective and not demonizing knives. Thanks Sal, Paul, and everyone else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for posting links. I enjoyed the articles.
Sequimite wrote:15,000 sq ft expansion of manufacturing space in Golden -
very nice.
Hopefully we will see more golden sprints. I certainly need more FFG Natives. May be some custom collaborations will be made in Golden as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Now all we have to do is make tens of thousands of NKP's read those articles :D
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Sequimite wrote:Great quote from Paul:

"Those who claim their collections are investments are “either deluding themselves,” he says, “or just trying to placate their wife.”

Couldn't agree more.
I found it kind of funny that the next line had to be "Beretta is single."
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I wish the SF Chronicle would pick up on those articles. Interesting read.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Excellent articles, thanks for sharing!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Not to sound like a party pooper, but that first article (interviewing The Deacon and Sal and A.G. Russel) was probably the poorest piece of journalism I've read in a long time, and I'm used to reading small-town newspapers. I'm not sure if St. Louis Today is a weekly or another site that just aggregates news for the advertising, or if it was perhaps a junior reporter, but there really was no point to the article, just a bunch of notes shuffled into a loose order.

The second article with just Sal was pretty good. I would agree with all of you that it's refreshing to see knives talked about in a rational light.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

kennethsime wrote:Not to sound like a party pooper, but that first article (interviewing The Deacon and Sal and A.G. Russel) was probably the poorest piece of journalism I've read in a long time, and I'm used to reading small-town newspapers
Talking about poor journalism, I don't think you've read the SF Chronicle lately :rolleyes:
Holland

Post by Holland »

great read thanks for posting these!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kennethsime wrote:Not to sound like a party pooper, but that first article (interviewing The Deacon and Sal and A.G. Russel) was probably the poorest piece of journalism I've read in a long time, and I'm used to reading small-town newspapers. I'm not sure if St. Louis Today is a weekly or another site that just aggregates news for the advertising, or if it was perhaps a junior reporter, but there really was no point to the article, just a bunch of notes shuffled into a loose order.

The second article with just Sal was pretty good. I would agree with all of you that it's refreshing to see knives talked about in a rational light.
If I was done by a major media source I would agree. Content over delivery I guess :) .
bh49

Post by bh49 »

"Buck reacted to customer criticism a few years ago by bringing back some manufacturing it had outsourced to China. Now, “Ninety to 95 percent of our new products every year are USA-made,” CJ Buck says."
This is very impressive, at least for me.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian