Spyderco and the knife industry in the news (featuring Sal and The Deacon)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

mikeh99 wrote:Good read. It may not be written very well ...
Mike, are you one of those mutants I mentioned? ;)
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

Thanks to Mr. Shawn and flash900 for the articles.
Bruce
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Thanks Flash for shining a positive light on our pocket tools.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Bladekeeper wrote:No sorry It was the way the question was wrote I know who Sal is I meant the deacon it did look like I was asking who sal was (poorly written post).
The link keeps kicking me off the forum , I meant the deacon has replied to me a few times and seems like a nice guy but what is his connection with spyderco ? Thanks
Paul(The Deacon) is more or less a longtime friend of many of the folks at Spyderco. I don't reckon he has an official position but has done a huge amount to help publicize many models of these knives and
sometimes has beta-tested or taken photos of some knives before release as his opinion is held in high regard. That said, he is also one of he more prominent collectors of Spyderco branded knives and has written some excellent reviews on various knives and even testified on their behalf. If you'd like to know more, he has a website at http://www.paulberetta.com/ Paul's opinions are backed with a lot of experience and you can probably take almost anything he says that is not a reflection of his personal taste to the bank.

Paul, I figured you wouldn't mind if I shared a little info that you have publicly available. If you'd like message me or Kristi to get this modified.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bladekeeper wrote:Sorry for the noob question I know Sal and have had personal replies here from him seems a nice fella how is he involved with spyderco .
Just a question born of curiosity really as I guessed if he was interviewed on a piece about spyderco he must have a close connection sorry if this is really nooby but I'm only ten months into spydies.
Our exposure to knives in the uk is only covered by the media in a bad light so other than what we read here on the forums or ask we are none the wiser.

Edit I meant to say I've had replies from the deacon and how is he related not how is sal I know his role getting late and brain slowing down :D
I'm not connected with Spyderco in any way except as a customer and long time denizen of this forum. Michael/flash900 approached me because I'm a collector, to get some insight into why people collect knives as a hobby, and a person who carries a knife daily as a tool, rather than as a weapon, not as a industry representative.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

defenestrate wrote:Paul(The Deacon) is more or less a longtime friend of many of the folks at Spyderco. I don't reckon he has an official position but has done a huge amount to help publicize many models of these knives and
sometimes has beta-tested or taken photos of some knives before release as his opinion is held in high regard. That said, he is also one of he more prominent collectors of Spyderco branded knives and has written some excellent reviews on various knives and even testified on their behalf. If you'd like to know more, he has a website at http://www.paulberetta.com/ Paul's opinions are backed with a lot of experience and you can probably take almost anything he says that is not a reflection of his personal taste to the bank.

Paul, I figured you wouldn't mind if I shared a little info that you have publicly available. If you'd like message me or Kristi to get this modified.
No problem at all Kris, I added some comments of my own below.
Bladekeeper wrote:Sorry for the noob question I know Sal and have had personal replies here from him seems a nice fella how is he involved with spyderco .
Just a question born of curiosity really as I guessed if he was interviewed on a piece about spyderco he must have a close connection sorry if this is really nooby but I'm only ten months into spydies.
Our exposure to knives in the uk is only covered by the media in a bad light so other than what we read here on the forums or ask we are none the wiser.

Edit I meant to say I've had replies from the deacon and how is he related not how is sal I know his role getting late and brain slowing down :D
I'm not connected with Spyderco in any way except as a customer and long time denizen of this forum. Michael/flash900 approached me because I'm a collector, to get some insight into why people collect knives as a hobby, and because I'm someone who carries a knife daily as a tool, rather than as a weapon, not as a industry representative.

I'll just add that I was honored to have some small part in an article published in a major American newspaper which put our hobby in a very positive light. It's the kind of thing one rarely sees in the mainstream media.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the links, it was an enjoyable reading.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Thanks for sharing. Any positive news about knives and guns is a great thing.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Paul,

The honor is mine -- as folks here know, you are a good guy and always generous with your time and advice.

- Michael
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie

Post by 224477 »

I guess for Sal it kind of has to be a second nature, providing interviews, but I guess it was a prime time for Paul, so my congratulations :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

Paul, thank you for your contribution. :)
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)