Jot Singh Khalsa G-10 Sprint Run 2013

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Sold mine a few years back. A new version with updated steel would be nice. I'm curious if the dimensions will be identical to the original. I know a lot of people complained that the handle needed to be just a bit longer.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

defenestrate wrote:I kind of want to get one and modify aan action figure to look like the ad in a display :D
Looks like someone has their 2014 calendar contest entry all planned out! :D
:bug-red-white
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Give me 4 of them and I'll make you the Batman insignia. I'd like to look at one in person but this would have to be a No Want for me.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Hey guys hope all is well

I was speaking to Sal at blade and he said Spyderco would be doing this sprint mainly because they really wanted to do the design as well as the maker justice. These old schools spydies had quite a number of problems associated with them which couldn't really be fixed because of it being a pinned knife. Mine had massive blade play in every direction and had to be sent back to spyderco for credit.

It really is a very cool knife with an incredible grind and a wicked pedigree, but at the end of the day it's a novelty. Truth be told it was probably one of the sharpest spydies I have ever had and I have had quite a few.

AJ
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

aj1985 wrote:Hey guys hope all is well

I was speaking to Sal at blade and he said Spyderco would be doing this sprint mainly because they really wanted to do the design as well as the maker justice. These old schools spydies had quite a number of problems associated with them which couldn't really be fixed because of it being a pinned knife. Mine had massive blade play in every direction and had to be sent back to spyderco for credit.

It really is a very cool knife with an incredible grind and a wicked pedigree, but at the end of the day it's a novelty. Truth be told it was probably one of the sharpest spydies I have ever had and I have had quite a few.

AJ
I think that if they want to do the design and maker justice, a G10, VG-10, nearly $200 knife isn't the way to go. No offence to Sal and Co meant at all. I just think that the original design despite any flaws, was a much classier and more interesting knife.
On the hunt for...
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

My take is that Spyderco should do this sprint and if it 's G10 and vg 10 i have no problem with dat.... :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

speedcut wrote:My take is that Spyderco should do this sprint and if it 's G10 and vg 10 i have no problem with dat.... :)
I agree. In my opinion, it doesn't need to be made of uber-expensive materials and fancy schmancy super steels to honor the maker.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that if they want to do the design and maker justice, a G10, VG-10, nearly $200 knife isn't the way to go. No offence to Sal and Co meant at all. I just think that the original design despite any flaws, was a much classier and more interesting knife.
I give Sal a ton of respect for even making this design again. Only time will tell how this design goes over with the public.

AJ
Live in every breath

sal

Post by sal »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that if they want to do the design and maker justice, a G10, VG-10, nearly $200 knife isn't the way to go. No offence to Sal and Co meant at all. I just think that the original design despite any flaws, was a much classier and more interesting knife.
What do you think it should be?

sal
JLS

Post by JLS »

aj1985 wrote:I was speaking to Sal at blade and he said Spyderco would be doing this sprint mainly because they really wanted to do the design as well as the maker justice. These old schools spydies had quite a number of problems associated with them which couldn't really be fixed because of it being a pinned knife. Mine had massive blade play in every direction and had to be sent back to spyderco for credit.
AJ
I'm very glad to see it get another chance. I've had a number over the years and they are fascinating knives. The build quality was mediocre, in my opinion, from the beginning, even for a "gentleman's knife". When people started doing kinetic openings with them, they were going well beyond design or build parameters. Given that the "horn" was not intended for that purpose, it's hard to point fingers. I had one, bought used, that had the lock travel to the limit and develop vertical play. That was sent back to Spyderco for credit as well. The second one I ever had is in the picture below. It still has an early lockup and no play when locked open. When closed, the blade swings side to side quite readily. It gets pulled out on special occasions to wear on the few times I dress up and replaces the normal Calypso Jr "dress knife". The third I bought was also used and in very loose condition. It was nearly falling apart and I still have it and intend to build it back up at some point in time.
sal wrote:What do you think it should be?

sal
I know you weren't asking me, but a few things I'd like to see addressed are the thick washers that give little lateral support to the blade, the thickness of the handle is a bit much IMO and larger pins all around. The fit of the scales to the liners could also be improved if I can nit-pick.

The washers on mine are about .030" thick which leaves a big gap between the blade and liners and they're not very large in diameter either. The small diameter is understandable on the lock side, but it could have been much larger on the non-lock side. Thinner washers would limit lateral movement before the blade contacted the liners and a larger washer on the non-lock side would only help.

The handle thickness on mine is about .515". I'd prefer it to be more about .400" or so, but this would radically change the feel and character of the knife and I'm not sure that is desired. The stamps/imprints on the Khalsa and Junior are very similar. If they are done by the same maker, I'd say use the build style of the Junior on it, complete with the thin G-10 scales.

The pivot, stop and handle pins are all quite small considering how the knife can (and will, at least by some) be opened. I'd prefer to see them beefed up a bit to reduce the returns on it. I also wonder if the knife won't come with a disclaimer about how NOT to open it. This was something that wasn't anticipated before.

Lastly, the matching of the micarta scales to the liners along the front have numerous mismatches that hopefully will not be repeated.

I do want to say that I'm excited to see the new release and the changes that have been specified. Whether I pick it up will depend on the overall build, as it isn't cheap. It may sound like I'm really ragging on the design, but I still really like it. I wouldn't change anything about the blade, other than updating to perhaps VG-10. Since I know it has a history of build problems, mine is reserved for special occasions. Here is the picture of it, along with it's friends from yesterday.

42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
DeathBySnooSnoo

sal wrote:What do you think it should be?

sal
Hey Sal,

Nothing crazy...just some tweaks to make it more like the original.

VG-10 is fine. Nothing at all wrong with it. But the handle material...I think that just normal peel ply G10 is a bit pedestrian. Especially for a knife design like this. I think that to do homage to the original at least having polished G10 and maybe an interesting pivot screw to sort of match the original pinned pivot would be nice.

So I didn't mean to imply that G10 or VG-10 aren't good materials, just that for the cost and the design I think that making it a little more than just a peel ply vg-10 knife like there are already a whole bunch of of, would be nice to see.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd like to see...
Definitely polished G-10.
VG-10 would be fine with me.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

How much more is Plypeel CF?
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Sal is very very good at what he does and Spyderco didn't become a leader in this field overnight guys. Spyderco is at full capacity at the moment with models that have been proven and tested in the field. There are quite a number of knives/models Spyderco can't make fast enough and I truly believe this model is a labor of love and respect. From a purely business/numbers stand point this model should never be brought back, but life isn't all about just making tons of money.

Jot Khalsa wasn't the greatest designed knife on the planet, and it wasn't a real hit when it came out. Most old school models usually sat around and the Jot was no exception. From the old school days this one also was probably one of the the least popular. Sal doesn't need to build the Jot ever again because I'm 100% sure there are other designs that would bring more money into Spyderco with a heck of a lot less risk. This knife probably requires new tooling as well and that is not cheap. Why spend all this money and take all this risk when Sal can just give the production schedule slot that's been assigned to the Jot to something that been tried and tested and has been known to sell. Sal's ethics are a huge reason why Spyderco is so respected within this field and why many of us buy spydies.

If Sal is building it again I'm sure it will be awesome. :)

AJ
Live in every breath

sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much AJ, Astute observations and thanx also for the kind words.

The Jot was the first Kinetic opener. It's an MBC style knife that is hidden in the design. James Keating taught a class using the Jot in his "Riddle of Steel". (Great teacher, great experience). He taught the use of the upper guard on the model as a kinetic opener. Bram Frank took James' class and that was the birth of the "Esclator" (built by Bob Taylor), the "Gunting" (built by Spyderco), and the subsequent models made by the Germans and Mantis.

Polished G-10 would not provide the traction.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

sal wrote: Polished G-10 would not provide the traction.

sal
How about bead blasted then? I'd love to see more of that on Spydercos anyway.
On the hunt for...
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

sal wrote:Thanx much AJ, Astute observations and thanx also for the kind words.

The Jot was the first Kinetic opener. It's an MBC style knife that is hidden in the design. James Keating taught a class using the Jot in his "Riddle of Steel". (Great teacher, great experience). He taught the use of the upper guard on the model as a kinetic opener. Bram Frank took James' class and that was the birth of the "Esclator" (built by Bob Taylor), the "Gunting" (built by Spyderco), and the subsequent models made by the Germans and Mantis.

Polished G-10 would not provide the traction.

sal

Hope to see yah in Vegas for the Shot Show Sal :)

AJ
Live in every breath

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I hope the grind over the choil remains the same as opposed to the grind on the Superleaf. If the grinds were reversed I would love it. Did any owners (USERS) of the original Jot Singh Khalsa experience any bite from the edge at the choil?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PJ Garrison

Post by PJ Garrison »

I always thought the Jot was a neat knife. I've got an unused original in my collection, although the box got a bit squished in storage. Unfortunately, it's a serrated rather than plain edged model. If it were a plain-edged I might have actually taken it out once in awhile instead of letting it sleep in the safe.
jotkhalsa

Post by jotkhalsa »

Hello All,
I'm very grateful that Sal, Eric and the Spyderco team will be offering a more refined version of the C-40 as a sprint run due out around May or June. The oversized hump was conceived to act somewhat like a crossguard to protect ones fingers, in the event one were to need to use the knife for protection. My understanding is that some developed very specific personal defense techniques which stemmed from the shape and kinetic opening capacity of this knife. I was never a hunter, (so made few hunting knives over the past 3.5 decades) yet I studied and enjoyed varied martial arts over quite a few years, so weapons to protect oneself and others have always interested me. That viewpoint partially stems from the Sikh religion, (originated in India) which I adopted over 40 years ago now, as well as my own deep belief that no one has the right to take advantage of another. For over 30 years I had the good fortune to study with and be guided by a humble and wise man who was a true master of life, Yogi Bhajan. He passed back in 2004. I've been invited to submit a new design to Spyderco for the near future. It likely will have less of a radical hump and I hope it might be well received. Best to All. JSK