Native FRN plain edge: rivots and clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ALLHSS

Native FRN plain edge: rivots and clip

Post by ALLHSS »

I have never really posted on any kind of forum before, but I didn't see anything about not posting two subjects in one forum. So, I lost a caly 3.5 (which I had just gotten refurbished after I had beat it up a bit) and just got a Native (original I guess) FRN plain edge for Christmas.

1. I have read some about people's preferences as to screws vs. rivots, but I was wondering if the rivots are typically tighter out of the box than the screws are and if (other than ease of opening) this is a good thing.

2. I really liked how low the caly 3.5 sits in the pocket. I was wondering if there is a replacement clip for the Native that allows the entire, or more, of the handle to be hidden by the pocket.

Thanks.
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

i have a native light weight and a manix 2 light weight,both are rivet construction and are just fine,nice and tight and seem to stay tight even with daily use.i am totally unbiased towards either bolts or rivets they both work fine in my experience.as for clip im afraid i am of no help,sorry.
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As with most other knife features, both pinned/riveted and screw construction can be viewed as either a good or a bad. Rivets and pins can't unscrew and fall out while screws allow the knife to be disassembled for maintenance. As for the clip, I've never seen a "low rider" clip for the Native or any other model that uses the barrel bolt style clip. I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do without modifying the handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I am not a fan of pinned construction because you cant take the knife apart. For the clip, you can order a custom lowrider clip from "STR's Backyard" on bladeforums, he does amazing work, and im sure he can figure something out for the native
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ALLHSS,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ALLHSS

Post by ALLHSS »

Thanks!
ALLHSS

Post by ALLHSS »

Thanks, I'll ask there.
ALLHSS

Post by ALLHSS »

Have you ever had a screw constructed spyderco? If so, do you find the rivots make one handed opening slightly more difficult?
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I am not the most experienced compared to a lot of others, but yes, my pinned spydies are much tighter than the screw construction. My Native FRN is a very nice knife, but a little too tight for my taste. I have to really think about it when I want to open it. Other than the tightness of the blade, I absolutely love my Native.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I find little difference in rivet vs screw construction. My Salt 1 is pinned and it is just about the smoothest opener I own. It's also the most used.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal