Ulize Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manix Guy 2

Ulize Impressions

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I want to thank everyone who participated in the Szabo impression thread , here is another one to drop your opinion . The Ulize , not much out there to be read about and not sure why . I for one am very interested only waiting to handle one before I decide to buy . I would love to hear from those of you who have this knife and how you feel about it . I find it appealing because of its size and at the same time thinness , reminds me of my all time fave Police models with beautiful curves . Regards MG2
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:...reminds me of my all time fave Police models with beautiful curves .
I had the same impression. I was also interested in this one, since I'm a fan of backlocks and like the unique looks. As you mention it offers lots of edge for the size and weight. I don't have a police yet, but if I got one it'd likely be in SE G10, with this one to fill the PE spot. I second your humble request for some impressions, I'd like to know about the ergos and deployment in particular.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Closed, length is the same.
Weight? The Ulize has less weight, not that you would notice in the pocket.
The grip is narrower, the difference in grip shape and the different blade angle make it feel more natural in the hand. :o Well to me anyway.

How much can a Koala bear?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Nice pics, thank you for the comparison shots. I really did want one of these, but I will need to see the Calypso first to decide.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Manix Guy 2

Thanks for the pics !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Pictures are awesume , looks like the Ulize is designed for the hand to set deeper for more control . The blade is truly a beauty . Regards MG2
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Any chance of comparison pics with a Caly 3.5?
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) There ya go, Ulize & Caly 3.5.

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Why not a Spyderedge Recurve?

Post by JD Spydo »

I've yet to fully understand why Spyderco doesn't at least make one of their great recurve models with the Spyderedge option :confused:

This Ulize model in my opinion would be a great model to have in Spyderedge>> the blade length would be ideal as well as the handle ergos.

As good as the Hawkbills and Reverse S blades are in Spyderedge I can only imagine how much of a cutting machine this model would be.

As good of an outdoor knife as the Temp 1 SE model has been for me I can only imagine how great this folder would be in SE.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I must say despite it's size it is hardly noticeable in the pocket. I have been carrying it in my left hand pocket of my off work jeans and I hardly know it's there.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Reject wrote: :) There ya go, Ulize & Caly 3.5.
Thanks very much. I love the looks of this knife but you've confirmed my suspicion that I'd never carry it. Prefer smallish knives in my pocket, and the Caly 3.5 is near the upper end of the scale for me.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for the pics and reviews, a gorgeous knife and blade design to be sure. It's interesting that there is no lanyard hole (not really a deal breaker for me just pointing it out). For me, the height of a knife is much more noticeable in pocket than the length, so I'm sure this one would carry quite well. My only concern is that it looks like it carries a bit high out of the pocket, and actually looks like it would carry lower tip-down. Sithus didn't seem to find it to be an issue, but he's carrying a Szabo scimitar so he may be a little more tolerant than others in this area. Lastly, the Spyderhole looks to be smaller than on the Caly, and is closer to the pivot as well. Assumably this would make it harder to deploy, but I'd rather ask than assume. Does the Ulize have a difficult deployment?
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

tvenuto wrote:My only concern is that it looks like it carries a bit high out of the pocket, and actually looks like it would carry lower tip-down. ?
Since I have been carrying it in the left hand pocket I swapped the clip to tip down for easy deployment once it is drawn. It carries very low tip down. And yes, there is no lanyard hole.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

I just received my Ulize on the 24th. I had been anxiously awaiting it. I have to say the wait was worth it. What a beautiful knife! I love the size and the way it feels in the hand. Here is a few quick pics. I haven't had time for a proper photo shoot yet.

Ulize in my hand

Ulize next to my Benchmade mini-Griptilian
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The Ulize reminds me of some of the Elven blades in the Lord of the Rings. Lovely knife, I may have to get one.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

tvenuto wrote:Does the Ulize have a difficult deployment?
Like the Police, the Ulize might be a bit stiff to deploy when brand new. However, repeated opening and closing loosens it up nicely. As a matter of fact my Ulize opens easier than my Police. (I do use a drop of Tuff-Glide on most of my folders.) Someone explained that it does so because of the negative blade angle which shortens the travel arc, so the blade travels a shorter distance from closed to open.

I switched the clip to tip down carry as I do on most large folders. The main reason is it facilitates finger flicking (thumb or middle finger) as the tip down clip position offers better purchase and thus counter leverage for my other fingers. I don't know your experience, but I can flick open my Ulize very easily. I can do so with the Police as well, but the Ulize is easier.

Tip down clip position also makes the knife ride a little bit lower in the pocket than tip up clip position.
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

I find the Ulize to be a pretty good looking blade in addition to having interesting blade geometry and ergos, however I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to catch on as much as other Spyderco models ?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Probably in large part due to the size. Remember that laws can dictate how many people will be able to carry the knife. A 1 inch non-locking blade is legal almost everywhere, so adding a lock would disqualify some people. Making it over 3 inches could disqualify some more, and so on.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I felt it was too typical. I've been shying away from the military/police/paramilitary types because IMO, they're all too similar to my Endura. (Variety is the spice of my life :p ) I'm wondering if other people feel the same, that they have the police, and it's so similar that it's hard to justify buying it. And when you take into account all the new knives that came out last year, I think it was just a little overshadowed by the more anticipated models, such as the Szabo, the Techno, the Dodo, and such.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

tvenuto wrote:Probably in large part due to the size. Remember that laws can dictate how many people will be able to carry the knife. A 1 inch non-locking blade is legal almost everywhere, so adding a lock would disqualify some people. Making it over 3 inches could disqualify some more, and so on.
Good point.
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

Minibear453 wrote:I felt it was too typical. I've been shying away from the military/police/paramilitary types because IMO, they're all too similar to my Endura. (Variety is the spice of my life :p ) I'm wondering if other people feel the same, that they have the police, and it's so similar that it's hard to justify buying it. And when you take into account all the new knives that came out last year, I think it was just a little overshadowed by the more anticipated models, such as the Szabo, the Techno, the Dodo, and such.
I agree with what you wrote as this is also something that I've thought, that said I do have a military, but not the PM2 or the Police.