How do you decide on a new knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

tr4022 wrote:Sri Lanka?

Tod

P.S. Any chance of snow for Christmas where you are?
No snow yet Tod. But we have everything else falling down on us as the end of days "propaganda" grips the nation.

Seriously though, this weather is indeed wrecking havoc. Glad to have a knife with me, it being a Spydie, even more so.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Mahmer09 wrote:I have just recently started collecting knives. I thought I would get a real light weight EDC and got a delica 4. I wanted a smoother upgrade and got a Sage I. I wanted something a little beefer and got a Manix 2. I have a PM2 under the tree and currently covet a Military. At that point I should be good right? I have it all covered. But something tells me I will just hit the repeat button? How do you fill out your collection? Need? Lock type? Blade size? Does it ever end? Am I in trouble?
I don't see a hawkbill on that list...you gotta have at least one hawkbill! :)

And yes, you are in trouble! :D
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Some knives it's love at first sight. You see a youtube review or a picture on the forums and then you need it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Evil D wrote:It usually starts with a simple impulse based on liking a design. After that I decide if I really need it and whether it's something I'll actually use or if I'm just infatuated. Then I try to get a chance to handle it if I can before buying. Sometimes all that happens at one time at the knife shop when I come across a new knife. I've bought a couple based off hype alone with varying success.
I've had 100% satisfaction doing what David does. Well accept for the last sentence.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Oh darn, I forgot. Got my very first Spydie, a Centofante3 after seeing a YouTube vid by Nutnfancy.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

By now I have a good idea what I like. So I think about the options available that I don't already have--usually blade steel, sometimes scale material and blade steel.

Then, I tell myself how ridiculous it would be to spend the money on a new knife that I clearly don't need.

Finally, I have two glasses of wine and order it anyway.
Spyderjo

Post by Spyderjo »

Ask your wife why she needs more than 1 pair of shoes. Maybe then she will understand!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mahmer09 wrote:Plus why do my friends and wife say they all look the same? And why do they ask why I need more than one knife? Lol
You need to get fairly recent sprints of Dodo and Shabaria. They do not looks like anything else.
You need more knives for the same reason your wife need more shoes and purses. You do not want to live boring life.
P.S. do not limit yourself to catalog. There are tons of great discontinued knives.
When you will have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ check these threads
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... de-s-Bunch
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... me-to-show
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t-s-corner
and if you will have any money left, here little magic of Tony
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 8-My-Kopas
Evil D wrote:It usually starts with a simple impulse based on liking a design.
+1 this is how it is usually works for me. Every year I am anxiously waiting for mr. Blonde reports from Amsterdam meet.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't pick the knife, the knife calls to me. ;)
Well said, Chuck!

That's exactly it, I may look at a knife dozens of times and nothing happens and all of a sudden it clicks and I want it! And then I often buy it.

Simple, really :)
vikashshinge

Post by vikashshinge »

I look for long lasting quality of steel use in knife. It should be easy to take with you and very easy to take a hold on. I look for steel, visit Steel Updates and you will come across wonderful steel manufacturing companies..