Workin' in the yard knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

akaAK wrote:IMHO there is only one knife you should be looking at. The CE Millie. I have used mine in the yard for years and it has dealt with anything asked of it. The partial serration is big enough to deal with climbing vines, twine, weed whacker line, etc. with a good size plain edge (the same edge length as the Native 5). Carries light, can be cleaned out easily relatively good corrosion resistance.

I very rarely dig into soil with knives as the sand,dirt and rock in my area will kill a blade quickly.
Great suggestion, akaAK. I don't own a millie, and that would be a great reason to purchase one. Maybe next month, though. I've already blown through my knife budget for January!! :eek:

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Don't blame the knife, blame the technique.

[video=youtube;Kgsp1r0sE60]https://youtu.be/Kgsp1r0sE60[/video]
That's basically how i made my cuts, but on larger branches sometimes you have to make several cuts around the branch to get through it without it splitting from the weight of the branch. As for hardwoods, you can still use the whittling style cuts and get through just about anything, it just takes more cuts. I have no doubt i couldn't whittle my way through a branch as big as my arm with a Military if i wanted to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:That's basically how i made my cuts, but on larger branches sometimes you have to make several cuts around the branch to get through it without it splitting from the weight of the branch. As for hardwoods, you can still use the whittling style cuts and get through just about anything, it just takes more cuts. I have no doubt i couldn't whittle my way through a branch as big as my arm with a Military if i wanted to.
Yup, I've done 1 1/2" branches with my millie when I still had a mango farm. I'm sure with time you can go through bigger branches as you say.
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

Manix2, but it only does secondary work I use bigger tools for yard work (23acres). My Manix2 serves quite well.
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

A Machete, will be able to do everything and they are cheap.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

"Maybe next month, though. I've already blown through my knife budget for January!!"

I would laugh if I didn't feel your pain on this. If only we didn't have to balance wants and budgets.

Not sure how big your yard is, I would consider the machete as well but I live in the suburbs and while my yard is big enough, its tough to justify carrying a machete around. I only bring it out for specific tasks. Thats why I like the millie so much, it disapears in the pocket while handling everything I would need a knife for in the yard.
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

I use my first ever spyderco, endura SE. It was the knife that got me into my addiction. At first I felt bad beating it, opening bags of mulch, slicing plastic planters, cutting roots etc. but now, I feel good for it because it is being used! I have too many safe queens.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

akaAK wrote:"Maybe next month, though. I've already blown through my knife budget for January!!"

I would laugh if I didn't feel your pain on this. If only we didn't have to balance wants and budgets.

Not sure how big your yard is, I would consider the machete as well but I live in the suburbs and while my yard is big enough, its tough to justify carrying a machete around. I only bring it out for specific tasks. Thats why I like the millie so much, it disapears in the pocket while handling everything I would need a knife for in the yard.
Same here. 'Burbs. Small yard. But Lord, the vines & dead branches to be bundled.

Tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

crankitup wrote:I use my first ever spyderco, endura SE. It was the knife that got me into my addiction. At first I felt bad beating it, opening bags of mulch, slicing plastic planters, cutting roots etc. but now, I feel good for it because it is being used! I have too many safe queens.
Yeah, I hears ya.

Tod
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

IMHO... The TOAD...
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Thomasjoseph

Re: Workin' in the yard knife...

Post by Thomasjoseph »

I wonder how anyone can be so used to with knife usage. As I have been very worried about using knife ever since I was about 5 years old.
Zarrox

Post by Zarrox »

Has anyone tried a waterway for yard work?
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

When in the yard I carry an old rescue SE with molded clip. The finish has already gone bye bye from the blade.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've used various knives for yard work:

Tasman Salt SE
Pacific Salt SE
Standard PE Military

Some non-Spyderco:
CRK large regular Sebenza
CRK large Sebenza (Insingo version).

Jim
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thomasjoseph wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:19 am
I wonder how anyone can be so used to with knife usage. As I have been very worried about using knife ever since I was about 5 years old.

Once you cut yourself, you learn quick. Just do it with care.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean, Pac Salt or Dyad.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just using my Caribbean yesterday on some saplings. (also holy necrothread).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Orange H1 SE Spyderhawk sprint is always with me outside. Most times I double up and carry an H1 SE Pac Salt as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Byrd cara cara 2 rescue
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
FK

Post by FK »

I like the Spyderhawk,,, a few of the special sprint rerun in orange are still available at dealers.

Regards,
FK