Millie too big for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mahmer09

Millie too big for EDC?

Post by Mahmer09 »

I've been into bigger and bigger knives. I'm on deck to get a PM2. And now the Military is knocking on my brain. But is it just too darn big to be an EDC? I live in suburbia btw and my main occupation is middle school teacher.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

It is entirely too big for me.

If you are asking then it is probably too big for you as well. I had a co-worker take offense to my techno today and it is under 3"...
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Millie is more than likely too big in a work environment. Many factors go into play such as state and mentality of others.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Too big for me in a couple of ways one it scares people and two I don't really have a need for anything a whole lot larger than a para 2 at work.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Too big for me too, plus it takes a lot of pocket real estate and gets a bit annoying carrying it all day. I never carry mine as it's very intimidating to others but mostly its because of my hatred of tip down carry option.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's illegal in many counties due to blade length and almost all schools since its a knife.

Size wise it's probably a superb (albeit larger) folder.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I think it's just right :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Not too big, unless you're using it around people. A Military in a school might as well be a Scottish Claymore.
:bug-red-white
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

Blerv wrote:It's illegal in many counties due to blade length and almost all schools since its a knife.

Size wise it's probably a superb (albeit larger) folder.
Yeah, I have recently asked our AP about carrying a knife. He found some info that seemed to suggest a 2.5 inch blade max for school employees. I try and stick to that. But I am really liking the idea of a Military rounding out my arsenal of knives. I would have never thought so but the more I carry a knife, I can see carrying a military from time to time.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I don't own one but have held one. To me it lightweight. Not even for a big knife. Its just light. It is a big knife. But if you carry an Endura or a Superleaf like I do, the military will be fine. I always carry a dragonfly with me to for when I'm around people that don't understand.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It's not too big for me, but I can see it scaring anyone working in a school office (unless you are here in the south of VA). Here the school nurse carries her Buck 110 in her purse and it still has the stains from her field dressing last years prize whitetail.

I'm really stunned the AP was able to find info about 2.5" that does leave you open to lots of choices.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

It is one of my all time favorite knives to carry. When I'm not at work I have a Military in my back right pocket. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I am a fan of my Military but I am selective about when and where I carry it. There are times when I think a smaller blade is a wiser carry.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd rock a Balance or Dragonfly2. Having an ok in writing would be nice if you ever needed it tho.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I carry the Military a lot and find it to be comfortable to carry in jeans as long as you don't have anything else in that pocket. It's very lightweight for its size. In the winter, I'll keep either a Manbug or a Dragonfly in my jacket pocket to use if I'm around people that might be scared by the Military. If you don't already have a Dragonfly and are allowed to carry a 2.5" knife at your job, you should give it a look.
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I carry one often, when I first got into Spyderco's I handled it and it seemed huge, way to big too ever buy or carry, later that year the CPM-M4/Ti sprint came up for pre-order so I ordered one just to try out the steel, and since then have bought 2 more Militaries, plus I've gone from carrying 3" blades to more 4" both spyderco, benchmade and ZT, the Military being one of the lightest and easy to carry.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm a big fan of the Military. It seems big at first, but once you get use to it, its a joy to carry and use. I suggest the G10 and CF models which are very light for the amount of blade you get. The moment you take on some bigger cutting jobs, the Military makes absolute sense. I also prefer a longer blade for food-prep, which is where mine sees lots of use.

Around the office I normally also carry a smaller people friendly blade (Victorinox) in addition to my regular 3.5-4 inch folder, for those moments where a big blade would be inappropriate.

It might be too big for school, but I would say get one if its legal to carry in your state, even if just over weekends and around the house. IMHO, its one of those great designs that every knife nut should experience at least once in his lifetime.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DM11

Post by DM11 »

I carry one every day and have for years. :)
Hold Fast

David
dman62

Post by dman62 »

If I'm working outdoors, hiking, hunting, etc it's a nice size. Carrying it at the hospital where I work would be a no-no. Caly 3 or Meerkat usually get the call there.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Mahmer09 wrote:I've been into bigger and bigger knives. I'm on deck to get a PM2. And now the Military is knocking on my brain. But is it just too darn big to be an EDC? I live in suburbia btw and my main occupation is middle school teacher.
I don´t see it as too large folder for edc. That knife is so light and blade vs. handle ratio is great. I do love carry my Millie as primary EDC knife in my right front pocket of jeans or suit pants. What I consider ideal is to carry bigger folder like Millie (if it is not illegal in your country) and little folder like Ladybug/manbug/D-fly/Delica... choose whatever you like. I carry my Millie in the office (openspace) and don´t have any problems, specially after modification of handles on Jade colour it looks really elegant and sexy. Offcourse if you are teacher, in front of kids I would use just ladybug or SAK and as much low profile as possible. If used carefully and in non threating way, Millie is great edc knife. :-) check out review from nemoknivesreview.wordpress.com - Captain Nemo has some really good points about knife and you will see it can be carried with ease :-)

Have a knife day.
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners