Millie too big for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It isn't too big to comfortably carry and it is my favorite folder to use. That said it is larger than what is politically correct in most office environments. In a school you might get in trouble.

When teaching biology I carry a Millie when outdoors or when doing animal autopsies and dissections. Normally I carry a Para 2 with a more discrete clip or a Southard with a low rider:

Another option is carrying the Millie IWB and having a small nonthreatening blade to use in most situations (Dragonfly etc.)
vito72

Post by vito72 »

I was carry military for one year but peoples was upset or scary when i used. In urban environment in my opinion its too big. Now i care a delica blue since two years . Its the right size for my tasks, lightweight its another bonus and FRN handle its smooth when you fit in pocket, because G10 its stiff and destroy pockets trousers. Probably dfly size (i have a couple) its enough for 99% of my cut tasks, its short blade only when i have to cut bread so i prefer delica size. But in my opinion military its best knife i own. I have a couple of para but i do not have right feeling with them so no one of them was carry even for one day.
BAL

Post by BAL »

If it is too big for someone because of what other people think, either don't
worry about it, or also carry a dragonfly, ladybug etc. You have the Military
for serious tasks and SD and the smaller one for the public and smaller jobs.

I always have more than one knife on me. The Para2 might be another option
as a smaller blade than compares to the Millie.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Like everything else, opinions on "how big is too big" are going to vary drastically. Really comes down to what you're comfortable with, and what the laws are in your area. Or, at least, how much you care about staying within the letter of the law. I prefer loose pocket carry to clipped carry, so I want something that will comfortably fit crosswise in my back pocket. That effectively rules out anything much over 4.5" closed length, so the Military is a no-go for me. Beyond that I'll just say that, like many others, I find it pretty easy to get use to carrying a larger knife and have never complained about having too much blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I carry one of my Military's almost everyday, they carry nice and flat and smaller than most would believe. :)

I don't work in a school though so I dunno about that one.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

I apparently opened a can of worms. I do agree, an office/school enviornment may not be the best place for this knife. In my post I mentioned i will carry the twins at my work which is an office/construction type of job. Access to a knife with either hand that is easily opened with either hand is my preference. Even with gloves. Is it too big? Depends on who you asking. If in the event that it has to be drawn in a SD situation, the bigger the blade the better. I can carry these legally here in Louisiana. At other times I carry a different manufacture of knife, also a pair of twins.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It just depends on your environment. Nobody can tell you yes or no because that's the bottom line. If i worked in a school, i might carry something like that and never pull it out, just for the sake of having it. Then again if i worked anywhere that just having a knife that size could get me in trouble, i would avoid it. At my work, we're technically not allowed to have knives of any kind, but everyone knows i carry a pocket knife, i just never pull it out around them or anyone who might be uncomfortable with a knife. I use my Ladybug around those people, and nobody gives me a second look. I carried my Military and Ladybug combo for a long time, they're an unlikely but great team.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Tuff managed to replace the CF M390 Millie I was carrying around for a few months. The Tuff is heavier and thicker than the Millie.

I am a secretary and part of my job is to handle loads of mail. This includes boxed stuff too. The Millie was just perfect for the job. Folks at office know that I have a knife. The other day my boss asked me what I was packing when the need for a blade came up. From the current line up, the CF Millie appeals to me the most. It's a great slicer, light and a pure pleasure to use. Sometimes folks sen us cakes and I use the Millie to cut them up. Like others before me, I have discreetly used it to slice up a steak or two at restaurants where they prefer that customers use blunt knives. Got that idea from this forum. If I did that with the Tuff, it would be noticed.

All in all, an excellent knife. The Tuff still has my FRP. But the Millie and my CS Recon 1 are both very close at hand. The latter is my lender. I don't lend out Spydies. Only gift em.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
rjowen0984

Post by rjowen0984 »

I always carry 3 knives: a large straight edge (Millie is perfect), a hawkbill fully serrated, and a small old lady friendly knife such as cricket.

Right tool for the right job!
Dr Hairy

Post by Dr Hairy »

I don't edc a Millie (I don't have one) but I do regularly edc an Endura or a fixed puuko with a 4" blade at work and almost always also carry something small and folding like a Ladybug 2 or a Squirt because I've learnt from experience that every so often someone will say to me "I understand you carry a knife" and not mean it in a good way - its good to have a tiny folder to pass to them and not have to waste the next 20 minutes defending why you need to carry anything bigger.
Holland

Post by Holland »

ya id say its to big to be edcing at school... if i was you, i would stick to a smaller knife when at work, such as the dragonfly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Based on carrying and usage, it is not too big at all. Mighty fine EDC. I carried one for 2 1/2 years, before coming back to the Endura, I really prefer tip up.

Based on environment and situation, only you can answer that.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

It's a great knife and I'd recommend it. Great for the right situation - for sure. In a school environment, I suspect you'll feel more comfortable with a smaller knife and the Millie may not be allowed. Surprisingly it fits decently well in the pocket, the issue is when you open it in front of someone. It's a big knife and some folks aren't comfortable with it. I carry a Spin, Dragonfly and sometimes a Caly (I also have one in my office drawer). I carry the big knives on the farm and in the woods.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Not for me but I always carry at least two knives , regardless of what large knife I carry I always pocket a small folder for small jobs and nervous people . Regards MG2
MSG

Post by MSG »

All depends on the environment that you work in, for me its not to big at all. Of course I also walk around with a roofing hatchet hanging from my tool belt some days :)
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

Brock O Lee wrote: It might be too big for school, but I would say get one if its legal to carry in your state, even if just over weekends and around the house. IMHO, its one of those great designs that every knife nut should experience at least once in his lifetime.
My thoughts exactly, the military is a phenomenal knife. I even have one clipped in my pocket right now :D
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Here in TX, except for when I go to work in the office, I always have this military with me:

In the office, I most often have this "smaller" one instead, as it looks more "civilized" for office folks:

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would let what ever is legal to carry in your area dictate if it is too large. Millie's are extremely light and I carry one quite often. If it is legal to carry and you aren't acting foolishly then I wouldn't worry what others think......after all life is too short to get caught up in what others think at all times.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

v8r wrote:I would let what ever is legal to carry in your area dictate if it is too large. Millie's are extremely light and I carry one quite often. If it is legal to carry and you aren't acting foolishly then I wouldn't worry what others think......after all life is too short to get caught up in what others think at all times.
I do like V8R says but I do notice when I carry a Military everyone knows it. People in my office know I have at least 3 sharp tools in my pockets at any given time but when that bad boy comes out they really take notice. If discretion is important I'd say the Military is too big but it's not too big for comfort and definitely not for usefulness.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Military is a great knife, but it is little too big for my taste. I prefer folders with 3-3.5" blade. Also IMHO Military has a huge handle.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian