Lefty Millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
redhawk44357

Lefty Millie

Post by redhawk44357 »

Just got my left handed millie from Knife Center. Been wanting this knife for a long time, but never had the bucks. Thanks to a sale it was very affordable. Now i can carry one in each front pocket. Always have been ambi-dextrous in most things so these will be my edc for my work days. Thanks to Sal for making this available for leftys.
rjowen0984

Post by rjowen0984 »

If the lefty Millie ever comes out in S90v or m390 I'll buy MANY!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hi Redhawk glad to hear you got a lefty Military , I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine . Regards MG2
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Following the advice of several in here, I tried the CF M390 "regular" Millie and learned/got used to using it with my left hand. In fact the same general grip works as well for the PM2, so I ended up not needing a "lefty" version after all.

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

The lefty M is a winner.
Mike
rjowen0984

Post by rjowen0984 »

wquiles wrote:Following the advice of several in here, I tried the CF M390 "regular" Millie and learned/got used to using it with my left hand. In fact the same general grip works as well for the PM2, so I ended up not needing a "lefty" version after all.

Will
What locking mechanism is the CF m390 Millie?

I've found right handed frame locks to be acceptably ambidextrous but liner locks not at all.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

rjowen0984 wrote:What locking mechanism is the CF m390 Millie?

I've found right handed frame locks to be acceptably ambidextrous but liner locks not at all.
The CF M390 is also a liner lock. But what is unique in the Millie is the huge opening in the left scale (opposite to the clip) since it was designed to be able to be used to press the liner lock while wearing gloves. Due to this large opening, it is very easy to use my left index finger and press on the liner lock while at the same time using left thumb to lightly press down on the blade. I will try to remember to do a short video clip to show you what I mean - after a little bit of practice, I was able to open and close the right hand Millie one handed with my left hand.

Will
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Here is a short video of how I open/close a "right-handed" (standard model) Spyderco Military with my left hand:
http://youtu.be/RZAc1rs3EdY

Will
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

wquiles you are right, lefty can open the right handed millie (good video). But the clip will still be on the wrong side.
Mike
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

mikeh99 wrote:wquiles you are right, lefty can open the right handed millie (good video). But the clip will still be on the wrong side.
Yes, my knife is after all the right-hand model, but within a very short time I also got used to getting the knife in/out of my left front/back pocket with my left hand with the clip like that. It is now second nature and I don't even think about it. Of course I am not trying to convince any lefties to not buy the lefty Millie - just providing an alternative for those models/variations not available in a left-hand model :)

I must add that this method/technique does not work well with other right-handed knives. In particular, I tried this same "technique" with the ZT 0560, and the opening in the ZT is not big enough, plus the force needed to push away the integral lock is much higher than the force needed to push the liner lock:

Some people have grinded away the "extra" grip material in the ZT 0560 (which was left there in purpose as part of the original design) to make the opening a little bit larger to be able to open easier with gloves, but so far I simply carry the Millie more often. So I am grateful for the Millie design as it allows me to use the right-hand Millie with my left hand :)

Will
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

So do you carry both Millies at the same time? All the clamshell packaging must be scared.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Pockets wrote:So do you carry both Millies at the same time? All the clamshell packaging must be scared.
No, what I meant was that I carry my right-handed CF M390 Millie in either my left front pocket or left rear pocket, and I can get to it and operate it perfectly with my left hand, just as the video showed.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I love my LH milli,
-John
Tank

Post by Tank »

I love my LH Milli. Wish there were more models designed for us like that.
-John