How does BD-1 stack up?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

How does BD-1 stack up?

Post by SolidState »

I'm sure some of the steel people on here will have opinions on this offering. I've seen a few reviews, but what I'd really like to know is how you feel this stacks up against other steels in: edge retention, corrosion resistance and sharpening.

For instance, how much cheaper would a knife made with BD-1 have to be before you would choose it over an S30V offering? Would it even matter to you?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

In my use, the BD-1 in the Manix 2 lightweight has great corrosion resistance compared to 154CM. I have not had to reprofile it yet, but light stropping brought the edge back very quickly after some cutting board use. I have not used it heavily enough yet to need sharpening so I can't really speak to true edge retention. Hope this helps.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

I have no experience with this steel, but from what i have read, its edge retention is comparable to aus-8. As far as how much lower the price would have to be, it would totally depend on the knife and what ill be using it for. If im not going to be using the knife to cut all day long without having access to a sharpener, i would not mind using this steel. Most of my edc tasks when im not at work don't require a super steel, so i would be fine using this steel.

Just my $0.02
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I use my lightweight ukpk quite a lot, mostly for food prep. And I find that it requires a pretty regular touch up, stropping is fine, but mine needs to be touched up at least once a week.
Since it is used on both the lightweigh ukpk and manix...I would think that it is a pretty substantial reduction in price from something like S30V.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's supposed to be modeled after GIN1. I'm curious what kind of savings we are seeing as well compared to something like S30v (for sake of economics not performance).
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

I have used MBS-26 from Spyderco which is very similar, CTS-BD1 has a slightly higher Cr which moves it up the tie line, it has a slightly higher carbide fraction, lower hardness, and higher corrosion resistance. Based on the performance of MBS-26, CTS-BD1 should make a very nice kitchen knife steel and in general a very nice steel if you value :

-ease of sharpening
-low edge angles
-very high polishes

and of course corrosion resistance.

It is also similar to 19C27 in that it is designed for extended cutting against abrasive materials, thus it would do better on high volumes of cardboard than steels such as AEB-L, 52100, etc. which take the above three aspects to their limit.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

It's either the best or the worst of Spyderco's steels. Depending on who you ask. :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It's either the best or the worst of Spyderco's steels. Depending on who you ask. :p
It's funny how we imbue personalities upon inanimate objects. It's almost like an episode of, "The Real Housesteels of Golden". BD1 is flipping over a table and 204p is crying because Sal said they were having difficulty working with it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:It's funny how we imbue personalities upon inanimate objects. It's almost like an episode of, "The Real Housesteels of Golden". BD1 is flipping over a table and 204p is crying because Sal said they were having difficulty working with it.
It's not? :D
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

seems good in the kitchen,I do most food prep with manix 2 light weight.holds edge well similar to my old aus 8 delica and no sign of patina.doesn't mind hitting bone to much either.(no not mine) :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It's either the best or the worst of Spyderco's steels. Depending on who you ask. :p
Chuck, are you quoting Charles Dickens' "The Tale of Two Knives" again? It is one of my favorite books!

"It was the best of steels, it was the worst of steels, it was the age of supersteels, it was the age of tacticool, it was the epoch of the Spyderedge, it was the epoch of knife laws..."

:cool:
TedP
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have used MBS-26 from Spyderco which is very similar, CTS-BD1 has a slightly higher Cr which moves it up the tie line, it has a slightly higher carbide fraction, lower hardness, and higher corrosion resistance. Based on the performance of MBS-26, CTS-BD1 should make a very nice kitchen knife steel and in general a very nice steel if you value :

-ease of sharpening
-low edge angles
-very high polishes

and of course corrosion resistance.

It is also similar to 19C27 in that it is designed for extended cutting against abrasive materials, thus it would do better on high volumes of cardboard than steels such as AEB-L, 52100, etc. which take the above three aspects to their limit.

Excellent post Cliff. These are ones even I can understand. :)

Thanks.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Good to hear it isn't taking too much flack! I have been looking at the Manix lightweight, but have held off. One of the reasons being not knowing much about BD1.
May have to take another look at the Manix lightweight thanks to you all!
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Very nice Ted, I appreciate the paraphrase.