Spyderco Gent's Offerings Opinions...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Opinions and why

Poll ended at Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Zulu
No votes
Junior
2%
Des Horn
21%
Kiwi (lockback)
12%
Kopa (clip optional)
19%
Other
47%

Total votes: 43

xceptnl

Spyderco Gent's Offerings Opinions...

Post by xceptnl »

With some of the terrific gent's edc blade offerings from Spyderco on their way out or long gone, I would like opinions. I have some favorites, but can't decide how to spend an already tight budget.
My requirements (guidelines) are simple:
Small / slimish
Smooth (no sharp corners)
Deep / Discrete carry
Front left pocket carry is the desired carry location.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

I voted Other. My vote would be for the Chaparral. Seems like the perfect gentleman's folder.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

IMO the Air is the only TRUE gent`s folder. Other`s like the Kiwi, Chaparral, Kopa come close. But are still more fancy EDC than gent`s folder. To me a gent`s folder is clipless, pretty, and lightweight. Made to easily slip into a pocket and be unnoticed.
On the hunt for...
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

A big second to DeathBySnooSnoo's comments and another vote for "Other.". I think the Air is Spyderco's finest gent's folder to date, even surpassing the lockback Kiwi. There are others, such as the Cat CF, Chaparral, and Viele II (minus the clip), but the Air is superior in the role polled.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:IMO the Air is the only TRUE gent`s folder. Other`s like the Kiwi, Chaparral, Kopa come close. But are still more fancy EDC than gent`s folder. To me a gent`s folder is clipless, pretty, and lightweight. Made to easily slip into a pocket and be unnoticed.
I agree with Snoo and Knifewing - the Bradley Air is the perfect Gentleman's knife. It is incredibly light weight so it doesn't weigh down your pockets - it looks absolutely stunning - and it cuts like a demon because of the blade grind and steel. I have looked for this knife my entire adult life - not knowing what I was really looking for. This is it.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I voted other for the Chaparral. I think it's the best gents (small) folder that Spyderco has in production.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I EDC my kopa very regularly. Great size and fit and I at first was hesitant to carry it because of how indiscreet it is in the front left pocket (which is where I carry mine as well), but it is a very good choice. I wish I could afford some of the fancier ones.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Des Horn?
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ok, I'm both totally biased and an absolute snob when it comes to "gent's knives". So, to my way of thinking, while Spyderco has produced a fair number of "nice looking" and "office/NKP friendly" models, they've only ever made two "gent's knives", and the only one appearing on that list is my favorite among them, the lockback Kiwi. The other, FWIW, was the Micro Dyad. To my mind, anything without smooth bolsters (no visible screws) or smooth SS handles is not a "gent's knife", nor is anything with a clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

It is very simple. AIR. Extremly light, very sharp, great steel, nice look. My second choice will be Chaparral or Des Horn, but Air is the best gentlemans folder from Spyderco.
Attachments
Air cap.JPG
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I can only wish that Kopas wouldn't have a clip or at least easy removable. I carry it loose in the pocket anyway. I also like a lot my Damascus Caly3 - "kopa on steroids". I hope that Spyderco will make another run of Damascus Caly3, this time with natural material scales.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Is it too late to pile on and suggest the Bradley Air? :p
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for the input guys. I have considered the Air due to it's size and I love M4. I think I have narrowed the choices to the Kiwi, Des Horn and Air (all wharncliffs). I will end up getting a Junior as well for my collection. Does anyone have a Des Horn / Air size comparison picture? This could be helpful.
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Here are a couple (not great) pics. The Air is a bit smaller. Also, the Des Horn's clip can't be moved to the other side if that matters.

:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for the pics. I think we have a decision.... unless the Lockback Kiwi comes back around for a sprint. Didn't Ken place a clip on his Air sucessfully?
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted other. The Caly 3 ZDP is my gent's knife. Beyond that, my Vallotton usually goes with me on dressier occasions. Not all gents are created equally ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:...Not all gents are created equally ;)
I agree 100%. Even on dressy occasions I am carrying my larger folders like the Military and Manix 2, but I also carry a left hand knife that is smaller. Normally this role is filled by my Vic SAK, Old Timer, or G-10 Dragonfly, but I want something a bit dressier that's the main reason.

This photo by gbelleh makes my decision very clear!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

i voted kopa, but the air is a very close second for me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I voted Other: The two best gent's folders are:
Air - small, lightweight, NKP, sharper than heck, etc.
Chaparral - small, CF, deep carry clip, shaper than heck (OK, all spydies are like this)
My first gents blade was the Kopa Abalone Pearl - while I still love the look, it doesnt make into the gents knife rotation anymore - why? 1) too heavy - the SS framing makes it heavy to carry - especially on wool dress slacks and 2) the silver clip is too visible and attracts unwanted attention on dress slacks - especially when wearing black, navy blue or dark gray. IMHO.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I voted other mine would be Caly CF. The Caly is really thin, light and discreet it's easy in and out of the pocket and really functional. Not to mention the ZDP blade is supper sexy. I also love the Des Horn but I haven't seen one in the flesh (sorry I am sure that's not the first time that ones been used) so , lame joke a side, I can't really offer a valid opinion on that one.