How useful are the mule team series?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

gaj999 wrote:So chop-chop. :D I've made four leather sheaths and three kydex sheaths, along with custom shaped handles for a half dozen mules. HT scales on two, cordwrap on one. Cordwrap is my least favorite, BTW.

Gordon
How easy or hard is it to make kydex sheath? I'm thinking about learning to do kydex sheaths for myself.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

gaj999 wrote:So chop-chop. :D I've made four leather sheaths and three kydex sheaths, along with custom shaped handles for a half dozen mules. HT scales on two, cordwrap on one. Cordwrap is my least favorite, BTW.

Gordon
I'd love to be able to make kydex sheaths but supplies aren't as easy to get here.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd love to be able to make kydex sheaths but supplies aren't as easy to get here.
What do you need Chuck? We can arrange a delivery.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

kydex isn't bad with something to press it in. I use mine for hiking, gigging, and birding.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

xceptnl wrote:What do you need Chuck? We can arrange a delivery.
Thanks or the offer but I don't really know what's needed and what kydex sheath making entails. Any suggestions on how to get started? I mean procedure-wise first, then maybe I can start figuring out what I will need.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks or the offer but I don't really know what's needed and what kydex sheath making entails. Any suggestions on how to get started? I mean procedure-wise first, then maybe I can start figuring out what I will need.
There are knifemaking supply stores online that will sell you kits, plus you can probably find the stuff on ebay. You can find videos on youtube of how to make sheaths. Basically you need the kydex plastic material, and you need the metal rivets. You heat the material, press it around your knife or whatever using a simple press made from boards, foam rubber and clamps, let it cool and then take it out.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks or the offer but I don't really know what's needed and what kydex sheath making entails. Any suggestions on how to get started? I mean procedure-wise first, then maybe I can start figuring out what I will need.
+1
I'm looking for a step by step guide on how to make them. Also, how much would I need to invest in the tools needed to make them?

Tell me if you're getting some supplies Chuck, I might be interested in some.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

arjay18 wrote:+1
I'm looking for a step by step guide on how to make them. Also, how much would I need to invest in the tools needed to make them?

Tell me if you're getting some supplies Chuck, I might be interested in some.
I'll probably be getting some supplies by January. I hate Philpost during Christmas season. :mad:

I still dunno whether to go with G-clip or tek-loc. Anyway with the gun and weapons ban starting Jan. 13, it would be a no-no carrying a fixed blade.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

What's wrong with Philpost on Christmas season? I have 4 big packages coming to me as we speak. :(

I think tek-locs are better although they are thicker, they hold the knife more securely. But it's more of a personal preference really.

Wait, what gun and weapons ban? I thought it was sometime march or something. Needs to get the knives and bolos out of the cars then.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

arjay18 wrote:+1
The online tutorial I used is gone, but this is similar.

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-s ... r-kitchen/

For tools, you need a drill, a coping saw(or a power equivalent - sabresaw/jigsaw) and a vise. The vise is optional, I've read about folks standing on the foam until the kydex cools. A file for cleaning up edges is nice, but I suppose you could use a patch of concrete. You'll need something for setting the rivets, a punch of some sort. Mine came in the bag of rivets. The hardest part is juggling everything into the vise in alignment before the kydex cools. It usually takes me a few tries.

I got my supplies, excepting the leather, here:

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

The dymondwood that they sell makes a great handle. You can work it with hand tools, buff it up, and you're done. Waterproof, won't dry and crack, good looking for every taste from subdued to garish. I did make one from yellow and black. Won't do that again. ;)

The leather at Texas knifemaking isn't dense enough for me. I found a local place that sells something called "horse butt". It's horsehide scrap left over from making saddles. It's really dense and sturdy. They also have waxed linen thread. I think they probably ship.

http://www.coloradoleathergoods.com/More%20Leathers.htm

Leather is pretty easy and takes only a few hand tools. Here's a tutorial. I've made one sheath similar to this one and several horizontal weak-side sheaths set up for cross draw. That's my preference with the Mules, but some of my pants have inconvenient belt loops and I go vertical. I made up my own pattern for the horizontal sheath. If there's interest, I could post a few pics.

Gordon
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

arjay18 wrote:What's wrong with Philpost on Christmas season? I have 4 big packages coming to me as we speak. :(

I think tek-locs are better although they are thicker, they hold the knife more securely. But it's more of a personal preference really.

Wait, what gun and weapons ban? I thought it was sometime march or something. Needs to get the knives and bolos out of the cars then.
Philpost is really slow this time of the year. I've had packages mailed from the US on November and get here January.

Gun ban for May elections start on January 13 and end on June 14.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.