Para 2 vs. Manix 2 Thunderdome battle royal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is your favorite, the Para 2 or Manix 2?

Para 2
62%
Manix 2
38%

Total votes: 92

Evil D

Para 2 vs. Manix 2 Thunderdome battle royal

Post by Evil D »

It's the Thunderdome! Two knives enter, one knife leaves!

Man what a confusing day. Anyone who's paid attention to my posts knows i'm a Para 2 guy through and through. You might also remember a thread a couple years ago about a spur of the moment Manix 2 purchase. Well, it happened again. This time it was the sinister all black DLC version that bit me (I'm calling this Darkside resurrected..i swear these black blades have it out for me).

Ironically, it wasn't until now that i realize just how similar these two knives really are. Until you hold both in your hands at the same time, it's easy to see them as being very different, but in reality they're quite similar IMO. There are obvious differences like the lock and all that jimping, but the ergonomic similarities are what struck me when i held them both. The real defining difference is the extra point after the choil on the M2. If you hold the handles side by side, the 50/50 choils line up perfectly, as do the start of and length of the blade. The M2's handle is a bit shorter at each end which equates to a shorter overall length than the P2.

When gripping them, this is where i'm really torn between these two knives. Both have a strong 50/50 choil, and both have the option to grip with that choil or behind it. This to me is where the M2 is the clear winner...this knife feels custom fit to my hand when gripped behind the choil, whereas with the P2 there's the age old problem with the "pinky point" at the butt of the handle, that did improve with the P2 over the original Paramilitary, but the handle just isn't long enough behind the choil to provide a full grip behind it. But then, in the exact opposite way, I feel that the P2 is much more comfortable to hold when choked up on the choil than the M2. This is likely due to that second point after the index finger choil on the M2.

I wouldn't say either knife is uncomfortable by any stretch, but i have to admit that as much as i want to prefer the P2, in the end the grip feels more versatile on the M2 since i can get a full comfortable grip behind the choil and choked up on it.

Both knives open very nicely any way you want to open it. They both flick open beautifully and feel equally great opening by thumb. The locks are both top tier best of the best if you ask me, though I've always liked the CBBL just slightly more than the compression lock because i feel like i have more of a grip on the knife when unlocking, but I really love both locks. I'm not a leftie, but it's hard to argue the ambidextrous virtue of the CBBL, no matter how easily you can close the compression lock with your left hand.

Weight is probably the most obvious difference in my eyes. The P2 is quite a bit lighter, both in overall weight and especially in blade weight, which I found surprising since the M2 is thinner. I guess that hollow grind leaves a lot of weight compared to the FFG of the P2. It's immediately apparent when opening the two back to back. As far as blade shapes go, I find myself again really torn. I love the straight spine of the P2, but I also prefer the more straight cutting edge of the M2 over the belly of the P2 (being the big wharnie fan that I am). Both knives have a slight negative blade angle, but the tip is noticeably lower on the M2, which for me makes cutting with the tip much easier since you don't have to raise the handle as much to get the tip down.

In the end I would have to sit down and really concentrate and break this down into categories, and somehow try to score them and then add it up to really figure out which knife i like more. I've always said i like the Para 2 more than the Manix 2, but with the change to S30V that really almost evens the playing field for me, and ergonomically i have to say I'm beginning to prefer the Manix 2. I used to always hate on the Manix 2's weight, but after carrying my Vallotton for a while, i've come to appreciate weight on some knives (though i've already considered drilling the scales...we'll see).

So, i threw up a poll just for laughs. What's your fav?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Para 2 wins hands down for me. I find the compression lock much easier to use than the caged BBL. I like the CBBL, but it's a bit more stiff and awkward to close for me. I also like the handle shape of the Para 2 slightly better, and the blade shape, and the way it carries in the pocket. As I've said before, the Para 2 is pretty much the perfect knife, IMO.
:bug-red-white
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

No PM2 in M4 so M2 for me, thanks.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In other news, i just realized how similar the Manix 2 and Yojimbo 2 feel in hand, at least when gripped in a saber grip. The spine of the handles are very similar and both taper out thin at the butt of the handle and have a very strong finger guard. Interesting..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

kbuzbee wrote:No PM2 in M4 so M2 for me, thanks.

Ken
Agreed. I had a really hard time deciding on which way to vote, but then I thought of my Manix2 in M4 and, well, how can anyone top that. I'd say I like that knife even more then my S90v PM.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

M2 for me. Much more comfortable in hand,
On the hunt for...
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Since I'm a dedicated Para 1 fan, I had to vote Manix 2.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

Manix2 for me it's my edc. next on my get list is the Yojimbo2 I also really like wharncliffe blades.
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Not sure which way to vote. I love both knives but I tend to use my m4 m2 the most. I would love to own the m2 in other steels, but I just have the 1. Both of these knives tend to be my edc's though. Guess I should vote m2. Wish I had the m2's in all the steels I have p2's in.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I have 1 Para 2 and 4 Manix 2s (plus one XL). I think my answer is obvious.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

for me: Manix 2 XL > Para 2 > Military > Manix 2

of course those are my four favorite Spyderco's too, though I have a Southard coming next week so we'll see how it fits in.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Wish I could vote but I've never had a Para2. Got a D'fly recently and could immediately see why they get such great praises. The Para2 would probably be the same if I get one. If I do I will have this forum to blame. Maybe even this thread.

Thanks Evil. :mad:
or
Thanks Evil. :)

Jack
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

I can't pick one.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Manix 2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

-It's $30 cheaper.
-It's available in more edge types.
-It's available in an equal variety of blade steels (probably more).
-It's available in more handle materials.
-Equal number of different colors.
-It's readily available at any dealer right now if you want one, no hunting around, back orders, waiting lists, pre-orders, etc.
I give the edge to the Manix 2.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's interesting the results of the poll do not align with the replies in this thread.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have a handful of Para 2s and they are pretty sweet knives. Light-weight, sleek, balanced, sharp and pointy; what's not to like right? The Para however is no Manix 2 IMO! The vast matrix of handle colors, blade steels, liner configurations, and blade grinds allow for a Manix that can please almost anyone (provided they like the feel in hand). I EDC a Manix 2 almost everyday and I would recommend it to anyone who wants one of the best modern folding knives made.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Jay_Ev wrote:Manix 2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

-It's $30 cheaper.
-It's available in more edge types.
-It's available in an equal variety of blade steels (probably more).
-It's available in more handle materials.
-Equal number of different colors.
-It's readily available at any dealer right now if you want one, no hunting around, back orders, waiting lists, pre-orders, etc.
I give the edge to the Manix 2.
Am I missing something? Currently the para2 has more options, especially this yr. there may have been other m2's made in the past but not easily available and/or would cost a fortune.
Just this yr I have picked up a handful of various para2's and still have the ones on order from kw's.
i only have the m4m2 and moon glow, but moon glow will be gifted to my brother in Jan for his bday. I should have got a stag arms when available, but that's not an option anymore.
If you found some of the older exclusives, they would be at a huge premium. There are still many options for the para's compared to manix IMO. However I would love to own more m2's with the higher quality steels
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

INFRNL wrote:Am I missing something? Currently the para2 has more options, especially this yr. there may have been other m2's made in the past but not easily available and/or would cost a fortune.
Just this yr I have picked up a handful of various para2's and still have the ones on order from kw's.
i only have the m4m2 and moon glow, but moon glow will be gifted to my brother in Jan for his bday. I should have got a stag arms when available, but that's not an option anymore.
If you found some of the older exclusives, they would be at a huge premium. There are still many options for the para's compared to manix IMO. However I would love to own more m2's with the higher quality steels
I made my response based on the models overall. Not based on what is currently available in the lineup. The Manix2 has had way more options and variations, and several which have not been offered on the Para2.
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

I voted PM2 due to the weight. But two great knives. I have four Spydies. Delica 4, Sage I, PM2, and Manix 2. I love them all. The only problem I have, how do I justify to God and my wife that I need anymore with that stash? But now there is a forum knife, it's hard to stop!!
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Paramilitary 2!

Sold my blue Manix 2 solely because the excessively jimped liners were annoying and ridiculous, and I couldn't put myself to grind and modify a sprint run.

That said I will most likely give a regular Manix 2 or the XL version a revisit and grind off the unnecessary traction serrations. ****, I find that jimping on the spine of blades is an unnecessary novelty that doesn't solve any issues that a proper grip cannot cure.