Anyone else wishing for a Manix 2 Lightweight in S30v or.............?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wdr65

Anyone else wishing for a Manix 2 Lightweight in S30v or.............?

Post by Wdr65 »

I've been carrying a Para 2 or an Endura for the past few months and the other day I rediscovered my Manix 2 LW. I started carrying it again and while I can get it very sharp that edge doesn't last through a full day at work for me. On the other hand my Para 2 and Endura ZDP will cut all week with just a minor touch up.

I realize that the knife isn't made for hard use like the standard Manix but that's not what I think I'm using it for. I'm cutting seatbelt strap, 3 ply sisal twine and 2 ply poly twine most of the time with a little burlap and plastic banding thrown in from time to time.

Anyway I'm just hoping that there might be a demand for a higher performing steel in this model and just wanted to see if anyone else might be interested.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i would be interested in a steel upgrade, thats the main thing holding me back from buying that knife. I don't see it happening though, one of the attractions to the knife is the price point, and it would be more difficult to keep the price low with a more expensive steel
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I should have added that I would be willing to pay extra for that. I'm fine with a difference in price like the one between the Endura VG-10 and the ZDP-189 models. I did realize that would be one condition of a possible upgrade and just forgot to put that in my original post.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I'm not really familiar with BD1 so am interested in others thoughts on this. I do like VG10 and S30V (maybe because most of my knives come in this). I expected BD1 to have less edge retention but am surprised you find it this much "worse" (I know relatively speaking). This unkown is what has kept me from buying the lightweight version.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

The steel is the only reason I don't have one already. I would pay more for a premium steel version of the FRN Manix.
Recent :spyder: Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wdr65, what is wrong with one of the S30V sprints of the Manix 2? They are maybe half way weightwise between the Lightweight and the Saber version, and have FFG S30V blades and skeletonized liners.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Have you tried to reduce the angle? While I wouldn't say VG10 or S30v sharpened optimally wouldn't outperform BD1, I question most people in an uncontrolled test would be able to tell the 10-20% variance. If what you say is correct the Para2 has 5 times the edge retention and something is probably different with the edge.

If you really want impressive edge retention we should be asking for something a tad more exotic. That or a serrated model as teeth tend to double CATRA results if I recall correctly.

I started a thread a week or so ago asking for a Sprint of CPM-D2 in a model like the Manix2 L/W or UKPK L/W. Mostly for variation as the model as you said is seriously cool :) .
Uke

Post by Uke »

Yeah it's a wish of mine...I love my Manix 2 lightweight and a run in a more exotic steel would be a 'must buy' for me. The BD1 has been performing well for me, but they do say variety is the spice of life :D
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Donut wrote:Wdr65, what is wrong with one of the S30V sprints of the Manix 2? They are maybe half way weightwise between the Lightweight and the Saber version, and have FFG S30V blades and skeletonized liners.
I haven't gotten my hands on one of those yet. Either I've just missed them or haven't had the cash when I had the chance. I'm one of those odd people that really prefers FRCP or FRN over G-10 even though I do have a Para 2. I have had a regular Manix before, but only in combo edge and while I like the ergonomics something just wasn't right for me.

Blerv,
I wasn't being exact with my first statment. The Manix will make it longer than a day and both my Para 2 and Endura ZDP don't always make it through the week. It all depends on what I cut and how much of it I cut.

As for sharpening, I sharpen on a sharpmaker and do 30 degrees inclusive and then microbevel at 40 degrees inclusive on all of my knives, though I have been experimenting with ZDP a little bit steeper. Taking BD1 steeper might help somewhat but I was hoping for something that wouldn't require me to change sharpening systems.

I've always wanted to try a D2 knife and from what I've read about CPM D2 that would be even better. I'm up for about anything steel wise as I think the Manix 2 LW is one of Spyderco's better new offerings.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm all for variety :) . My vote is for something different as well.