spyderco stretch feed back

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swampfoxoutdoors

spyderco stretch feed back

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

does the stretch have steel liners?

I don't think they do but, why are they so much?

and yall that have a stretch how well does it preform as a camp/hunting knife?
Endura 4, Delica 4, UKPK drop point, Squeak, Ulize
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Stretch FRN has inset steel liners
Stretch CF has full steel liners.

Depends on steel (ZDP or Vg-10) and whether you are looking at the FRN or discontinued CF ZDP version. I haven't found the FRN too expensive and you can find closeouts on the FRN CE one (55 Canadain which is about 55 US now a days).

I have the CF ZDP and the FRN CE and find them to be amazing knives. They are about the most usefull EDC's I have carried. Good length to handle ratio, pretty good belly, nice useful point, amazing handle ergo's. My understanding is that Sal designed this one for his own use. Sorry don't hunt or camp that often so can't comment on those uses.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Both the VG-10 and ZDP-189 FRN Stretch have nested steel liners. They're a bit more expensive than the Delica and Endura because those are high volume knives. Personally,, I feel the Stretch's ergos are so vastly superior that it's more than worth the price but, as with most things in life, opinions on that are going to vary. As for the other questions, the answers are totally subjective. Definitions of "camp knife" seem to vary from something for food prep to a substitute for a hatchet. Stretch would be fine for the first, poor choice for the second. Beyond feeling that fixed blades are better suited than folders as hunting knives, I'd have no qualms about field dressing a deer with a Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you can give up a bit of pocket space (and cash) for the Stretch I also feel it's ergonomics are a different world of sophistication.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Stretch is a great knife and would serve well as a camp blade.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

As others have said the ergonomics are very good, its a great feeling knife in the hand. I've used it skinning a few deer and it worked very well though I dislike using folders in general for skinning. I own the VG-10 model and it was my first flat ground VG-10 knife, I was very impressed with how good of an edge it will take compared to my flat ground ZDP-189 knives. It also does a mean job on cucumbers and carrots.
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

The Stretch is in my top ten favorite Spydies. It has been my main EDC for quite a while. I think it is a nice balance of a big enough blade to get the job done, but not so big that it freaks people out. I think the CF version is a very classy looking knife also.

Bruceter
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

The Stretch is my 3rd favorite spyderco behind the Delica and Endura as Deacon said the ergos are beter than the other 2 but, I prefer the Delica Endura they carry better for me in the pocket. They have a slightly slimmer profile I feel. The Stretch would make a great knife for your intended use. IMHO!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I prefer the Endura. Cheaper, and it doesn't have a choil. Just a preference there. In ergonomics, the stretch is better, but the two both work well for EDC.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I love the Stretch handle shape. The blade is very nice but I prefer a finer point, it better suits the work I do. FRN Stretch is a great value. The blade shape is descended from the Pro-venator folding hunter, which makes sense. The blade shape looks good for skinning. The large belly is useful for a host of other tasks,too.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

I don't have a Stretch and I am not a big fan of FRN handles, but of all Spyderco's FRN models the Stretch is the one that most tempts me. Looks to have amazing ergos. Now mind you, I have never even held one, so I am just speaking from the perspective of someone who normally wouldn't spend good money on an FRN handled model (I can live with FRN on budget models like the Byrd line, etc I just don't care for it on upper end knives). I realize the FRN is actually very durable and totally functional and the "cheapness" that I perceive it to have is really a misperception... but I can't convince my hand of that, so I just don't care for it. That said... again, the Stretch tempts me so it's obviously doing something right! :) (I think it's probably a combination of the handle shape and the blade shape... if it came in G10 I would be all over it--the CF version is nice, but too pricey for me).
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I should have added that the Endura is my favorite Spydie and what I use most days at work. I try to avoid carrying the Stretch to work just because of the type of cutting I do there and that I like to carry the Stretch when hunting as a backup to my fixed blade.
swampfoxoutdoors

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

well I guess the stretch has just been placed at the top of my to get list right beside a paramil2black.
Endura 4, Delica 4, UKPK drop point, Squeak, Ulize
Donut

Post by Donut »

Stretch is very comfortable, I really like it.

As far as being a good hunting knife, I bet north61's thread about skinning a moose with it can answer that question. =)

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ound-Moose
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!